IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Weather forces kokomo midget cancellations
4/6/16, 5:10 PM   #1
Usac: Weather forces kokomo midget cancellations
admin

4/6/16 5:06 PM WEATHER FORCES KOKOMO MIDGET CANCELLATIONS

More...

WEATHER FORCES KOKOMO MIDGET CANCELLATIONS

This weekend’s “Kokomo Grand Prix” for USAC’s National Midget Championship races at the Kokomo (Ind.) Speedway have been cancelled due to inclement weather. There is no re-schedule of this event planned.

“We are disappointed that the weather has intervened, producing conditions not conducive for racing for race fans or participants,” said race organizer Reece O’Connor. “We want this event to offer everyone a pleasant atmosphere of fun and these weather forecasts will not permit that.”

Kokomo Speedway is among USAC’s most active venues and will, host “Indiana Midget Week” June 5, “Indiana Sprint Week” July 9 and the “Sprint Car Smackdown” August 24-27, plus a USAC Indiana Midget Championship race October 14.

4/7/16, 1:09 AM   #2
Re: Usac: Weather forces kokomo midget cancellations
Blackduce

This is sad. The effort they put out was outstanding. Most days of the last few weeks they had 1/2 or 1/3 color page ad's in the Kokomo daily paper advertising this race. This cost lots of money today.

Lynn

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, dickster, fish, Melmo, tirespinner
4/7/16, 6:24 AM   #3
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Kokomo Speedway.Where you get your moneys worth in the first two heats,the rest of the show is free

5 members like this post: dickster, gastown, Melmo, racefan20, VSneader2
4/7/16, 8:41 AM   #4
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post
This is sad. The effort they put out was outstanding. Most days of the last few weeks they had 1/2 or 1/3 color page ad's in the Kokomo daily paper advertising this race. This cost lots of money today.

Lynn
This is something some people fail to think about when a track cancels any race. ANY canceled race = losing money. Canceling does not mean breaking even by not holding the event. No track wants to cancel any race.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Melmo, tirespinner
4/7/16, 8:52 AM   #5
Indy

How does cancelation losses compare to losses from lack of fans and competitors. It is probably the lesser of the two evils. Considering track prep, track workers, consession stands,security, etc. It takes butts in the stand and cars in the pits to make the racing world go round.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Melmo, PIT CART
4/7/16, 9:23 AM   #6
Nate

The good thing is that even though they're losing money on this deal, Kokomo will recover nicely later this season.

If there's one track in the state that doesn't have an issue drawing a crowd, it's Kokomo. I've been to weekly shows that have more people and cars than Ive seen right up the road at Plymouth when they're having some kind of special show.

Kokomo's reputation is enough I'm not too worried about this event being cancelled even though it sucks for them, the drivers and the fans alike

2 members like this post: DirtHawk92, PIT CART
4/7/16, 9:36 AM   #7
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

It doesn't compare, but that's not my point. Based on some people's reaction about cancelations at times (not this weekend...but in general), they seem to think an "early" cancelation is done to not lose any money. Even if you don't open the doors, you lost money. I'm not talking potential lost profits. That's obvious if you don't open. I'm talking money that has already been spent, whether the doors are opened or not. If you open, you have to cover those costs, and you have to cover the further costs of opening. A track doesn't break even by canceling so they never want to cancel. Some seem to not get that by their reaction at times. That's my point.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtHawk92, jerrydt, tirespinner
4/7/16, 10:09 AM   #8
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelKT View Post
It doesn't compare, but that's not my point. Based on some people's reaction about cancelations at times (not this weekend...but in general), they seem to think an "early" cancelation is done to not lose any money. Even if you don't open the doors, you lost money. I'm not talking potential lost profits. That's obvious if you don't open. I'm talking money that has already been spent, whether the doors are opened or not. If you open, you have to cover those costs, and you have to cover the further costs of opening. A track doesn't break even by canceling so they never want to cancel. Some seem to not get that by their reaction at times. That's my point.
I definitely know where you're coming from and agree. It costs money to run a track any way you spin it. They spent money promoting the Kokomo GP, prepping the track, preparing concessions, etc. There are still bills to be paid as well.

I'm just saying that it may be easier for Kokomo to recoup some of that money down the road because of their reputation and the product they provide. May not be as easy for other tracks around Indiana IMO.

1 member likes this post: cwfan08
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Weather forces kokomo midget cancellations