IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Car Replacing Fontana with Phoenix.. Snore.
8/14/15, 12:21 PM   #1
Indy Car Replacing Fontana with Phoenix.. Snore.
Crankin

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/12...oser-to-return

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
8/14/15, 12:49 PM   #2
Re: Indy Car Replacing Fontana with Phoenix.. Snore.
Stevensville Mike

I'll give IndyCar a rare moment of praise for this one. They took care of three issues with one swing of the bat:

They got rid of pack racing. Another race like Fontana this past year was going to lead to a huge disaster sooner or later. They cannot pack race anymore.

They rid themselves of trying to get people to GO to Fontana to watch the race. Maybe this was date dependent, but it is like getting rid of your road car that has a lot or problems.

They kept their SW USA locale.

Now, we'll see what the fans think. But in all honesty, I do not think IndyCar even remotely cares what the fans think about this one. They got rid of Fontana and cut their losses today.

2 members like this post: fish, ronmil
8/14/15, 1:03 PM   #3
throb

yeah...god forbid we would have a repeat of the most exciting indycar race in about 10 years (outside of the last 5 indy 500's) although i like the move to go back to PHX i would for sure not like to see fontana go away. i just dont see how a race which garnered that much attention can just be let go. i understand that like 114 people showed up, but maybe you promote the thing and build on what a great race it was this year.
Last edited by throb; 8/14/15 at 1:05 PM.

8/14/15, 3:09 PM   #4
speed bump

I used to really love them at Michigan Int. Speedway ...wish they would go back ...but they never will......

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, jim goerge
8/14/15, 3:14 PM   #5
dsc1600

It's a completely irrelevent series outside of the 500 and maybe a couple of the bigger road course events.

5 members like this post: captrat, Charles Nungester, fish, koolaid89, speed bump
8/14/15, 3:40 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Just by happenstance I turned on the Fontana race and was amazed a hell of a race was going on.

That won't happen again.
Glad I didn't miss it.

8/14/15, 4:08 PM   #7
captrat

Indy car racing sold its soul beginning in the 1960's, and in particular when the Penskes, Patricks and others of the road racing ilk convinced IMS/USAC they just could not "afford" to support 2 kinds of cars; i.e. get rid of the dirt cars. So now we have a second rate F1 facsimile that other than Indy can't get a crowd as big as a special event at Eldora. When I hear the praise heaped upon Penske and others and then look at the damage they have done to what was once the flagship series of American racing I almost get nauseous.

8/14/15, 4:35 PM   #8
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I didn't see Fontana as pack racing. Pack racing to me is two by two about 8 rows deep with nobody able to pass anybody. This year was 4 or 5 wide at times, but cars could pass each other all race long. Pack racing is more of a freight train affect where nobody can really get away from the car beside it. This car doesn't race like that so I see it differently. I think the bottom line is Fontana wanted an October date, IC isn't interested in running that late in the year now.

I do like the PHX return, been there, great track. Wish both could be on the schedule.

8/14/15, 4:59 PM   #9
throb

Agree totally!

8/14/15, 5:35 PM   #10
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by captrat View Post
Indy car racing sold its soul beginning in the 1960's, and in particular when the Penskes, Patricks and others of the road racing ilk convinced IMS/USAC they just could not "afford" to support 2 kinds of cars; i.e. get rid of the dirt cars. So now we have a second rate F1 facsimile that other than Indy can't get a crowd as big as a special event at Eldora. When I hear the praise heaped upon Penske and others and then look at the damage they have done to what was once the flagship series of American racing I almost get nauseous.
Captrat, You nailed it! This is club racing for rich owners that uses the Indy 500 to legitimize their existence. It is a shame what they have done to destroy America's open wheel racing's top level since 1972. I love IMS but have spent my money at the dirt tracks of the midwest for MANY years now. Most people on this site can not name the winner of that race in Fontana in this thread. Enough said!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indy Car Replacing Fontana with Phoenix.. Snore.