IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Breaking Torsion Stops??
6/26/16, 9:29 PM   #1
Breaking Torsion Stops??
TaylorCox

I have broken 5+ LR aluminum torsion stops this year (RR bar). I am torquing them down to 25 ft/lbs (7/8" bar). Is this too much or do I have something else going on?

6/26/16, 11:26 PM   #2
Re: Breaking Torsion Stops??
copper14

a lot of sprints run steel stops on the rear

6/27/16, 9:22 AM   #3
LEADERS EDGE

Couple of things.....are they all the same mfg? If so....it's possible they are using 6061 material instead of something like 2024. It's also possible that they are too thin in the area where they tradition to the bolt area. If it's different brands....is it possible you are pinching them all of the way closed?

6/27/16, 12:32 PM   #4
badcoupe

Are they stripping the splines out or actually breaking? Do you leave a small gap between the inside of the stop and the bushing? Does the bar rotate freely in the tube and shock not be t or bound up?

6/27/16, 3:20 PM   #5
TaylorCox

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper14 View Post
a lot of sprints run steel stops on the rear
I've been looking for some, or even titanium, but I can't find any in my size!

6/27/16, 3:23 PM   #6
TaylorCox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Couple of things.....are they all the same mfg? If so....it's possible they are using 6061 material instead of something like 2024. It's also possible that they are too thin in the area where they tradition to the bolt area. If it's different brands....is it possible you are pinching them all of the way closed?
They have all been the same brand. I don't know what type of aluminum they are but I ordered some that are 2024. I assume those should be pretty strong?

6/27/16, 3:27 PM   #7
TaylorCox

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
Are they stripping the splines out or actually breaking? Do you leave a small gap between the inside of the stop and the bushing? Does the bar rotate freely in the tube and shock not be t or bound up?
They are breaking clean through. I leave 1/16" of a gap, the bar/shock travel freely.

6/27/16, 7:56 PM   #8
bobby01

I would suggest you buy from a different supplier Lately a lot of arms and stops being made from 6061 than 2024 I've even seen some that are a casting. Look at the failure line to see if it's clean break or ragged if it's ragged it's more than likely a casting.
Bobby Layne

6/27/16, 8:15 PM   #9
TQ29m

I never torqued one down, just run them "tight" with a Craftsman 1/2 -9/16 combo box end wrench, 25 ft lb may be too much, I've watched guys come in after every time on the track and not "check" them, but tug till they move the nut, and in about a half season, they have broken yet another one, kinda like an egg sucking dog, once they start, hard to make em quit! Might just for grins and giggles, take one to your favorite machine shop, and have them ck'd, any good old machinist worth his salt can tell you in a NY minute if they are cast, 6061, or 2024. Bob

6/27/16, 10:10 PM   #10
Kart65

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 22

You may have to stiff of a bar on RR

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Breaking Torsion Stops??