IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > O/T RIP Bob Glidden
12/19/17, 8:51 PM   #1
O/T RIP Bob Glidden
flatout

Just saw that Bob passed away today. Was always my favorite drag racer. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

12/19/17, 10:06 PM   #2
Re: O/T RIP Bob Glidden
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
Just saw that Bob passed away today. Was always my favorite drag racer. Thoughts and prayers to the family.
He Passed away on Sunday, December 17th. He lived next door to late model hall of famer CJ Rayburn in Whiteland, Indiana. Heard years ago that is where CJ Got the idea for a 4 link late model from Bob Glidden. As far as the NHRA goes for many years he led the NHRA in career National Event wins with 85 until John Force passed him about 12-15 years ago. I remember his nasty wreck in 1986 during the Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway in Atlanta, GA. Rolled 6 times after wind caught his parachute and the car veered left into the opposite guard rail. When He got out of the car he covered the manifold with his suit jacket. He had pioneered the Aluminum Manifolds and didn't let that secret out till years later. Remember some years back we where at CJ with friend having his car fixed and you could hear Bob playing next door and man did it get loud. He had a car on the dyno in his shop.

Here is How I will remember the NHRA Hall Of Famer and Legendary Pro Stock racer.
God Speed to a Drag Racing Legend and all around good guy Bob Glidden 1944 - 2017.

12/21/17, 2:36 PM   #3
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I remember the epic battles between him and Warren Johnson!

4 members like this post: interpreter66, LUCKYONE, smith19, tmac39
12/21/17, 5:53 PM   #4
Dave Thompson

Growing up around Whiteland it wasn’t an unusual sound to hear an engine screaming on his dyno.

1 member likes this post: tmac39
12/22/17, 12:54 PM   #5
Colin25

Enjoyed talking with him on many occasions while being part of building his bird sanctuary out front. He loved those birds as much as he did racing.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
12/23/17, 2:11 PM   #6
410fuelinjected

Met him and his wife covering the Winternationals at Pomona back in the mid 70's. Great people and racers he will be missed.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
12/23/17, 2:59 PM   #7
interpreter66

Man I liked it when he would beat warren Johnson,(then again I liked it when anyone beat warren). Always a class act

1 member likes this post: spicoli
12/24/17, 9:41 PM   #8
LB

If you watch the old videos, his cars launched so straight and even, too bad pro stock can't be like that today , rip Bob

2 members like this post: interpreter66, nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > O/T RIP Bob Glidden