IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > DuQuoin weather
9/3/13, 5:53 AM   #61
Re: DuQuoin weather
miledirt

Made my 37th straight trip to DuQuoin for labor day weekend.... nothing like it, love it... especially when they are running a cushion like they did all night long this past Sunday night. But guys, starting 14 cars? This is starting to get kind of serious if you ask me. I hope someone figures this deal out

1 member likes this post: ronmil
9/3/13, 8:48 AM   #62
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I have been going to the Magic Mile for many years now and I can truthfully say that was the strangest finish I have ever seen. With a shower late in the afternoon helping Sarge with track prep, the heavy track had a cushion develop and Ballou was running it with abandon. Unfortunately for him, the fuel didn't last long enough. Windom and Cockrum also were bitten it seems by fuel issues as well.

One thing I haven't seen posted and would like to know is this. What fuels were Ballou, Windom, Cockrum and Urish running? Ethanol or Methanol? Did this have anything to do with the outcome? Better fuel mileage maybe?

Though the car count wasn't what everyone wanted, it was a night for sure to remember. It has been a while since a cushion developed and it was exciting to watch Ballou and others attack it. Also nice to see more than one groove of racing. The battle between East and Cockrum was also enjoyable. They provided the show when Ballou was trying to run away and hide.

Always great to see the Silver Crown cars under the lights at DuQuoin. Also glad to see the State of Illinois cut the infield for this years race. Just a real nice setting to watch a race. It would be a great venue to have more racing. AMA I believe used to run there for a short period of time. I would like to see them return if possible.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5 members like this post: fasster23, racephoto1, racing2bwithu2, Red Hat, SC90
9/3/13, 9:25 AM   #63
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

What bit Shane was a 65 gallon cell... A 75 gallon tank will not fit on the Smaller bodied Beast like the 15 and the 55 compared to the mid bodied cars like RW and RFMS...

9/3/13, 5:58 PM   #64
racenut69

AMA quit racing there after the accident a few years ago when a rider named Davey(???) got run over and died,I believe? Can anyone help me out with his last name?...D*mn old-timers disease...Thanks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

9/3/13, 7:28 PM   #65
jmichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut69 View Post
AMA quit racing there after the accident a few years ago when a rider named Davey(???) got run over and died,I believe? Can anyone help me out with his last name?...D*mn old-timers disease...Thanks. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Davey Camlin died at DuQuoin in 1999

9/3/13, 9:19 PM   #66
B99

I don't believe Davey Camlin's passing had that much to do, if anything, with the AMA not running on the mile at DuQuoin.

Lack of a willing promoter and suitable date are more likely the cause

9/3/13, 9:46 PM   #67
racing4aman

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 6

this was my first time at the track and I really enjoyed it a lot and hope maybe one year I can come back ... would like to thank my brother and Gail for taking me ... love you guys...

5 members like this post: fasster23, ISF, racing2bwithu2, SC90, SpfldMile
9/4/13, 8:42 AM   #68
ISF

We've been camping at the Du Quoin State Fair and going to the Ted Horn Memorial on The Magic Mile since 1994 except for the rainouts that didn't get rescheduled. But the one rainout that did get rescheduled we didn't go back for since at that time we were still going to the World 100 and had to make a choice since the Du Quoin rainout was run the same weekend as the World.

Still kick myself for going to the World that time since that race was a real yawner (over half of the World 100's we went to were also yawners) and we again had the pleasure of enduring the 15,000 belligerent drunken idiots. Also, I could have easily sold my World tickets for face price.

That year Rich Tobias won his only Silver Crown race and that race was described as one of "the best Silver Crown races ever run". I will forever mourn my decision not to go back to Du Quoin that year.

This year's Horn Memorial had some major shortcomings in regards to participants but Robert Ballou was breathtaking and it was as crazy a race as I've ever seen.

1 member likes this post: SC90
9/4/13, 12:29 PM   #69
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
We've been camping at the Du Quoin State Fair and going to the Ted Horn Memorial on The Magic Mile since 1994 except for the rainouts that didn't get rescheduled. But the one rainout that did get rescheduled we didn't go back for since at that time we were still going to the World 100 and had to make a choice since the Du Quoin rainout was run the same weekend as the World.

Still kick myself for going to the World that time since that race was a real yawner (over half of the World 100's we went to were also yawners) and we again had the pleasure of enduring the 15,000 belligerent drunken idiots. Also, I could have easily sold my World tickets for face price.

That year Rich Tobias won his only Silver Crown race and that race was described as one of "the best Silver Crown races ever run". I will forever mourn my decision not to go back to Du Quoin that year.

This year's Horn Memorial had some major shortcomings in regards to participants but Robert Ballou was breathtaking and it was as crazy a race as I've ever seen.
Hey ISF, you know how most everyone was upon the cushion near the wall at DuQuoin the other night? Well the night that Tobias did it was one of if not the first race run under the lights at DuQuoin and Richie was one of the few that was running that high line. Someone on here with a better memory could give more specifics.

I would like to think that Bob and the track prep crew will create a track again like this next year, but I think it was just a matter of the rain that came earlier that afternoon. Can you imaging a full field of cars on a track like that? Nothing like it

4 members like this post: ISF, luckybuc97, Red Hat, SC90
9/4/13, 2:09 PM   #70
ThePurple73

Was Tobias's win at DuQouin in a car they built, that was rather interesting and after taking a tumble down the front stretch at Springfield, that looked pretty darn scary?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > DuQuoin weather