IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mutual Racing Association?
2/15/09, 4:13 PM   #1
Mutual Racing Association?
Sandy Lowe

Does anyone have any information about this organization?

By "googling" I came up with this information:

NATIONAL SPRINT CAR HALL OF FAME & MUSEUM
TOM CHERRY by Don Anderson & Dave Argabright
http://sprintcarhof.com/FileGet.aspx?ID=128
He was instrumental, along with Dutch Hurst and others, in forming the Mutual Racing Association in Muncie, Indiana in 1938, Tom's hometown. Running "roaring roadsters", the group raced at the Muncie Steeplechase (literally, a steeplechase course) in 1939. By 1940, they began racing on the tight paved oval at Mt. Lawn Speedway near New Castle, Indiana. That was the year of Tom's first Mutual championship.
The Mt. Lawn website has an entire section devoted to the Mutual Racing Association. You can find it at www.mtlawn.com/MRA/Page.html

I know that in the fall of 1960 the membership of the Mutual Racing Association was combined with another club to form UMRA. I also know that the MRA had been sanctioning three-quarter midget racing for several years.

Had the MRA evolved from roaring roadsters to TQ's? Or was the MRA similar to USAC with different divisions, one of which was TQ's?

Does anyone know where I might be able to find statistics on any TQ races sanctioned by the MRA, or any other organizations?

Thanks,
Sandy

2/16/09, 6:59 AM   #2
Re: Mutual Racing Association?
psullivan

Sandy,

As the note suggest Mutual was a roadster association started by people like Dutch Hurst - first sanctioned the little 500 and raced all over Central Indiana - I think the Mutual you are thinking about was another TQ club that (if I recall) was based in Southern Indiana (I have just drive all night from Canada to see Reid play hockey so it is real early and I'm a tad fuzzy) In other words we are talking about 2 different groups

2/16/09, 10:56 AM   #3
TQ2M

Ralph Yeagle raced with the Mutual club. We need to get him involved in this.

Joe

2/16/09, 7:39 PM   #4
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
Sandy,

As the note suggest Mutual was a roadster association started by people like Dutch Hurst - first sanctioned the little 500 and raced all over Central Indiana - I think the Mutual you are thinking about was another TQ club that (if I recall) was based in Southern Indiana (I have just drive all night from Canada to see Reid play hockey so it is real early and I'm a tad fuzzy) In other words we are talking about 2 different groups
Thanks Pat. I looked at the photo's and I knew the cars were not TQ's but the name was the same. Then when I saw the Muncie location I just assumed it was the same group.

Sandy

2/16/09, 7:44 PM   #5
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ2M View Post
Ralph Yeagle raced with the Mutual club. We need to get him involved in this.

Joe
Joe,

There is a photo in the 1977 yearbook. It is from the 1961 banquet and has the following people in it:
Mel Harpring
Mike Quirk
Rick Meyer
Bud Montgomery
Elmer Smith
Tommy Gray
Bill Campbell
Eddie Clearwater
Ralph Yagle
Bob Parsons
Jim Gettlefinger
Dick Dwenger
Rollin Harpring
Sonny Ates
Russ Hankins
Don Ralston
Ralph Pipe
We need to get as much information as we can from these guys so that we can document the early days of TQ racing in the area.

Sandy

2/16/09, 8:57 PM   #6
TQ29m

Sandy, I have a couple of "comebacks", that will be racing again this year, after a long hiatus, I'll ck with them, their fathers were involved back in those years, and before, one was a magazine publisher, for motorcycle powered, open wheel cars, he may have all the info, back to day one. Bob

2/17/09, 9:37 AM   #7
TQ2M

Sandy,

I think it is really cool how many people on that list from '61 helped me 20 to 30 years later! Bud, Rick, Mel and Rollin, Elmer and Dick.

I have a great picture of your dad and Dick Dwenger in the Notham car hanging on my office wall.

I had the opportunity to talk to Ralph Yeagle a couple of years ago and enjoyed his stories, though I didn't know alot of the people he was talking about. I'll make some calls and see if Ralph might join us here. He has never been known as shy!
Joe

2/17/09, 4:49 PM   #8
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ2M View Post

I have a great picture of your dad and Dick Dwenger in the Notham car hanging on my office wall.

Joe
That's pretty cool Joe. I would like to make two copies of that if you don't mind.

Charlie Dwenger

2/17/09, 8:43 PM   #9
TQ2M

You bet Charlie. I'll see you soon. Madison was on of my favorites.
Joe

2/17/09, 9:18 PM   #10
TQ29m

Sandy, does the name Bill Eply, Epley, come up in your data base? He said his dad ran, when they ran a lot at Muncie, in the early years. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mutual Racing Association?