IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action track status
7/4/11, 6:55 PM   #221
Re: Action track status
sp6967

usac never really recovered from the plane crash back in the 1970's.it has been down hill ever since then.

7/4/11, 7:03 PM   #222
deannalynn

And if anybody knows how to get USAC back out of Indiana Sprint Week, now would be a really great time to call an owners meeting Mud Packer is right, I do have a chip on my shoulder. I wish it was only one chip, because the load just keeps getting heavier.
Last edited by deannalynn; 7/4/11 at 7:16 PM.

7/4/11, 7:16 PM   #223
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannalynn View Post
And if anybody knows how to get USAC back out of Indiana Sprint Week, now would be a really great time to call an owners meeting
Did you ever go to Sprintweek before USAC was invited in? I did and parking and finding a seat was never a problem.

7/4/11, 7:21 PM   #224
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Did you ever go to Sprintweek before USAC was invited in? I did and parking and finding a seat was never a problem.
I'm told there were tons more sprint cars there and it was a lot harder to make the feature. You probably found a good spot since so many of the die hard USAC fans were in the pits getting their non-usac sprint cars ready Do you recall the car count?
Last edited by deannalynn; 7/4/11 at 7:23 PM.

7/4/11, 7:21 PM   #225
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Sprintweek before USAC wasn't half the event it is now. Hell they had winged races, Even races at Eldora for INDIANA sprint week.

The pay other than the win was nothin either.

Chuck

7/4/11, 7:31 PM   #226
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Sprintweek before USAC wasn't half the event it is now. Hell they had winged races, Even races at Eldora for INDIANA sprint week.

The pay other than the win was nothin either.

Chuck
You mean those crazy cats were out there racing for something other than money? They actually thought that there's something in the water in Ohio, too? You mean they didn't follow a NASCAR business model but they still had a huge enough car cound that USAC wanted to be involved with it? How did that happen?
Last edited by deannalynn; 7/4/11 at 7:40 PM.

7/4/11, 7:32 PM   #227
BrentTFunk

Quote:
I'm told there were tons more sprint cars there and it was a lot harder to make the feature. You probably found a good spot since so many of the die hard USAC fans were in the pits getting their non-usac sprint cars ready Do you recall the car count?
I don't remember all the counts,but at the final show at Kokomo that year there were 14 cars and no cars in the top 8 in points made it to the last show. No one traveled to watch, there were no campers and no atmosphere. I was there. Trust me it was no big deal.

7/4/11, 7:41 PM   #228
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I don't remember all the counts,but at the final show at Kokomo that year there were 14 cars and no cars in the top 8 in points made it to the last show. No one traveled to watch, there were no campers and no atmosphere. I was there. Trust me it was no big deal.
Which year? 1987? Was there another race the same night?
Last edited by deannalynn; 7/4/11 at 7:47 PM.

7/4/11, 7:47 PM   #229
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Which year? 1987?
I am bad with years. I know it was the last year Lipkey ran Kokomo. Sprintweek was on life support, and the promoters had a meeting at the Waffle House in Martinsville to try and save it. It has been my favorite time of the year ever since.

7/4/11, 7:50 PM   #230
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
USAC made a mistake yes, but they tried to bring back tradition for the fans. At least they called it after the initial start before anyone else got tore up or hurt.

Everyone forgets the terrible track of the June MSCS and SCORA race in 2009. It was rained out on a Saturday and we came back on Sunday and the track was rougher than a corn field and had a humongous burm built up around the inside that led to many bad wrecks, tore up equipment, and my buddy Alex Coonan had severe injuries. The MSCS Main took like 2 hours to run and then a Late Model Main that took an hour and the SCORA Main had its issues including the last lap wreck that hurt Alex Coonan. This all could have been prevented if Tommy Helfrich would have threw in the towl like USAC did. All of the dollars of tore up equipment, hurt drivers, and pissed off fans would have never happened.
Posted via Mobile Device
I didn:t know Tommy forced you to race that day. The way you look at things I can see why you don:t have a ride JT

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action track status