IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Smackdown Or Nationals?
8/11/19, 8:01 PM   #11
openwheelfan1

I would love to see non-winged racing eventually get an event that has the status and recognition that the Knoxville Nationals has. Knoxville’s purse, longevity, attendance, and notoriety make it clearly the bigger event.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/11/19, 9:23 PM   #12
Re: Kokomo Smackdown Or Nationals?
oldfan49

It comes down to whether you are going for the racing or for the show

3 members like this post: captrat, mc/rider, tirespinner
8/12/19, 3:24 AM   #13
Re: Kokomo Smackdown Or Nationals?

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

so Knoxville Wins easy. Much higher attendance 24000 just on Saturday. Much higher purse, nearly a million dollars. Much higher car count. lots of community involvement. radio shows, cornhole tournaments, other racing events leading into it. Monster 50/50's. festival Atmosphere. Knoxville has had a lot of practice and is very tuned in.

I think A good opportunity for non wing to have a rival event would be the Cornbelt nationals. It is in the place that knows how to do it. Just needs a little time to grow.

With that said I do love Kokomo and have been visiting both once or twice a year.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/12/19, 7:52 AM   #14
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Knoxville easily,as others have mentioned,the payouts,the crowds,the way the town gets involved,businesses
etc.
It's like comparing Indy 500 vs the Little 500,Peyton Manning vs Jeff George,Bob Knight vs Lon Kruger,my bankroll vs Dennis Roth's,on & on.
Smackdown pays 10k to win,Knoxville pays 10k for 24th,first car not to transfer pays 1k.
Smackdown is good,Knoxville with its history & longevity,says it all.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Smackdown Or Nationals?