IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action track status
7/4/11, 7:57 PM   #231
Re: Action track status
deannalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I am bad with years. I know it was the last year Lipkey ran Kokomo. Sprintweek was on life support, and the promoters had a meeting at the Waffle House in Martinsville to try and save it. It has been my favorite time of the year ever since.
Well, at least somebody tried to save the true spirit of Indiana Sprint Week. Glad to learn that part of USAC's history is the fact that not everybody always bent over for an emblem that is only as strong as the spirit behind it.
Last edited by deannalynn; 7/4/11 at 8:07 PM.

7/4/11, 8:16 PM   #232
Rogue-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcooper2 View Post
I am still amazed on the fact that people actually think LPS is going to get a race for Sprint week or the fact that they think it is that great of a racetrack. I do not understand either why they are running saturday night when they are running down at Tri-State.
The two best races in Indiana in 2011 have been at lps, midget week and this past saturday. It is also getting the highest car counts. It was once considered the best track in IN by many before Dave Allison, and it might be the best again.

7/4/11, 8:37 PM   #233
Vukie

Funk and Charles are right. When ISW became a USAC event the whole week became a huge deal. Drivers and cars from the west coast, fans too! People from the east coast,fans from all over the midwest. TV too! Yes, let's boot USAC out, lets make ISW a glorified local deal.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
7/4/11, 8:38 PM   #234
racepix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drtchsr View Post
Luckily for me I saw a race at Grundy county Saturday nite that compared with Midget week at Putnamville. This took a lot af the sting out of Sunday but I didn't see a whole lot of support for that race on here.
Posted via Mobile Device
The Grundy Co. race was one of the best midget races I've seen in a very long time. To come from last to first with a last-lap pass is pretty impressive. Hope USAC comes back there more.

7/4/11, 8:40 PM   #235
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepix View Post
The Grundy Co. race was one of the best midget races I've seen in a very long time. To come from last to first with a last-lap pass is pretty impressive. Hope USAC comes back there more.
That was a great feature!

7/4/11, 10:22 PM   #236
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vukie View Post
Funk and Charles are right. When ISW became a USAC event the whole week became a huge deal. Drivers and cars from the west coast, fans too! People from the east coast,fans from all over the midwest. TV too! Yes, let's boot USAC out, lets make ISW a glorified local deal.
the locals make sprint week,if there wan't any locals there would be 10to 12 cars.

7/4/11, 10:49 PM   #237
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue-9 View Post
The two best races in Indiana in 2011 have been at lps, midget week and this past saturday. It is also getting the highest car counts. It was once considered the best track in IN by many before Dave Allison, and it might be the best again.
I think LPS is back. The shows have been good. with that said the midget week show is only one in my top 5 for best of the year. Saturday was a good race.

7/5/11, 9:08 AM   #238
Vukie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
the locals make sprint week,if there wan't any locals there would be 10to 12 cars.
I didn't say "wan't any locals there would be 10to 12 cars". When ISW wasn't a USAC deal it was a local event. With the USAC sanction it became a big deal. That's the truth, I was at a few of those late 80's and early 90's ISW races, it wasn't that big of a deal. I'm also glad that the local car owners and drivers support ISW.
Last edited by Vukie; 7/5/11 at 9:14 AM.

7/5/11, 12:05 PM   #239
ekohl23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue-9 View Post
The two best races in Indiana in 2011 have been at lps, midget week and this past saturday. It is also getting the highest car counts.
Ok first off you just showed you don't get away from LPS much if you say the best two races this year have been there. There have been great races at many tracks. You can't say LPS is the best if it's the only track you have been to. And they get great car counts only because there are many more smaller, low budget teams in that area.
Posted using Mobile Device

1 member likes this post:
7/5/11, 12:09 PM   #240
thebus79h

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekohl23 View Post
Ok first off you just showed you don't get away from LPS much if you say the best two races this year have been there. There have been great races at many tracks. You can't say LPS is the best if it's the only track you have been to. And they get great car counts only because there are many more smaller, low budget teams in that area.
Posted using Mobile Device
You could be right in that assumption, but with the recent events at THAT, I can completely understand people wanting to move the race to a different track.

It won't happen, but if I was traveling the sprint week tour this year, I would definitely be skipping Terre Haute unless USAC comes out and says who is doing track prep, and what's going on.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Action track status