IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Knoxville Nationals
8/7/19, 2:36 PM   #11
Re: The Knoxville Nationals
fishnman

Who will win? Probably Sweet or Schatz. Who would I like to see win, Aaron Reutzel, Dale Blaney, Danny Dietrich, or of course, Kyle Larson.

8/7/19, 2:39 PM   #12
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

My money is on Brady Bacon. Three races in Iowa this year, 3 wins!

8/7/19, 4:48 PM   #13
chop

The years I have been there, I think the Weds thru Fri races are better. Something about trying to get in to the race on sat makes the races better. The c, b mains on sat are good also. I think the fast guys up front on the sat A main tend to all ready have the race finishing order figured out between a few cars. But the crowds and the well prep track all are a plus. Always cool to have a top level team that has had the bad luck and race to the front on sat is a thing to look forward on Sat. Yes I would like to see it a non-wing race, but that is a very fast track to have non wing races. Same way as Belleville and midgets. When done right very cool, when it goes bad very painful. Eat a pork sandwich for me.

8/7/19, 5:09 PM   #14
ThePurple73

I've been going since the sixties. It isn't the event I remember then, but still a big event. It used to be so interesting when you would only read about drivers in the Speed Sport. Then the announcer would introduce them, I remember that with Dick Gaines, he was a heck of a driver. The Indiana, Arizona, California, PA, Ohio, plus all the mid-west cars would all be there, maybe not every year. If you were good you usually made it at some point.
I remember on a Nationals qualifying night there was a black and blue #96, the driver really, really got around the track, but it had trouble in hot laps. The announcer later said it was Pancho Carter. I think they headed home.

Eddie Leavitt had won the Nationals two years in a row. I don't think most fans at Knoxville had seen an enclosed trailer until the Siebert Olds Team pulled in. It looked 120 feet long. Eddie drove the yellow Siebert #9, the car seemed super fast. They were knocked out of the race passing cars. I always believed that car could have won the C, B and A. Great memories. Tons of passing in those days.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 8/7/19 at 5:15 PM.

5 members like this post: Daisy's dad, duel, flagboy55, oppweld, sprinter31
8/7/19, 5:16 PM   #15
PJ Wright

We know who the favorites are but I would love to see an upset, maybe a first time winner. Wish I could be there!
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART, wallbanger II
8/8/19, 12:22 PM   #16
flagboy55

You might just see one. I don’t think anyone would have had Trey Starks winning night 1, not that he’s not good, but a Lot of big guns in the B. The depth of the field is amazing. We can only imagine just how awesome this would be without the handicap of wings. That being said it’s still the Nationals and the biggest dirt track race in the world. The excitement and intensity of it is awesome!

3 members like this post: oppweld, PJ Wright, RadRacer
8/8/19, 2:30 PM   #17
dsc1600

Last night was a bit of a letdown after Sunday’s Cappy Classic but it’s still Knoxville. Gio and Schatz in the B on Saturday will be a great show.

111 total entries. Impressive in this day and age.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, oppweld
8/8/19, 4:23 PM   #18
Non wing lover

No nobody asked but is has a right to his opinion and I agree with him ask my wife originally from Ohio that's all she knew winged racing until I took to her first non wing race took a little while but finally saw the light granted she loves the wing things on tracks shorter than half miles she Attica and fremont

8/8/19, 4:24 PM   #19
Non wing lover

That's right john

8/8/19, 5:19 PM   #20
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
You might just see one. I don’t think anyone would have had Trey Starks winning night 1, not that he’s not good, but a Lot of big guns in the B. The depth of the field is amazing. We can only imagine just how awesome this would be without the handicap of wings. That being said it’s still the Nationals and the biggest dirt track race in the world. The excitement and intensity of it is awesome!
I agree! I heard someone say that apparently it was reverse night, i. e., the A main had cars that were expected in the B and vice versa. Larson was mediocre at best and even after the engine change Schatz was just average. I really thought Bacon had a shot at the top 4 in his heat esp. after he drove around Schatz but just couldn’t get there.

Tonight is going to be very interesting.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, RadRacer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Knoxville Nationals