IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > race length?
5/18/17, 11:35 PM   #11
flagboy55

Kinda funny, the engines are bigger, producing more HP and you would think that would translate to more fuel use, but they keep putting smaller tanks on them, and thus fuel stops come into play at times. I don't know what you think but I hate the thought of a fuel stop!

5/19/17, 5:58 AM   #12
Re: race length?
Gregg

My first sprint car race was a 100 lapper at Winchester. That said, I have no opinion in this matter. I'll leave it up to the people that buys the engines and pays the tire bill.

2 members like this post: davidm, jim goerge
5/19/17, 6:27 AM   #13
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Kinda funny, the engines are bigger, producing more HP and you would think that would translate to more fuel use, but they keep putting smaller tanks on them, and thus fuel stops come into play at times. I don't know what you think but I hate the thought of a fuel stop!
The only sprint race with a fuel stop should be the Little 500

5/19/17, 9:41 AM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
The only sprint race with a fuel stop should be the Little 500

There is no fuel stop, There are two mandatory pit stops and ules the track is under Red. Nothing Stops.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
5/19/17, 10:08 AM   #15
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
There is no fuel stop, There are two mandatory pit stops and ules the track is under Red. Nothing Stops.
You should not be able to make a stop that counts toward that minimum while laps are not counting.

I found it interesting that they did not count laps after a red until the green came back out. I forget who was leading, but they had not made a stop and had a lap on the field; pitted under the yellow after red with laps not counting... counted as his stop and he kept a lap on the field instead of it cycling back around. Free lap. Some how they still figured out how to lose the race though. Really grabbed defeat out of the jaws of victory.

5/19/17, 10:12 AM   #16
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

I don't like the the Hustler Sprint 50 at Tri-State is now just the Hustler. Went from 50 to 40 laps. 50 was unique for this race and was an added draw and it's lost that appeal for me because of losing 10 laps.
This year I think with sponsor money it is going to be at least $12,500 to win but still only 40 laps.
More money should be more laps. (Winged reference alert) Even though the Knoxville Nationals is now 50 laps, I still consider that a sprint race when you look at they are racing for $150,000. But it adds elements to the race, and the fans get more for their ticket dollar.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
5/19/17, 2:48 PM   #17
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Without a lot of research, just sitting back thinking about things, I could swear back in the day most USAC sprint race's were 40 laps. Watching the WOO race's, it seems like they adjust race length depending on track size, which makes good sense to me. I wonder why USAC doesn't do the same? Seems like a race on a quarter ought to be at least 40 laps. What do you think?
I like longer races, but mixing things up I think is more challenging for the racers and more entertaining for the fans. Varying lengths as opposed to a standard length ads an extra element to the drama and excitement. JMO

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
5/19/17, 6:26 PM   #18
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
I don't like the the Hustler Sprint 50 at Tri-State is now just the Hustler. Went from 50 to 40 laps. 50 was unique for this race and was an added draw and it's lost that appeal for me because of losing 10 laps.
This year I think with sponsor money it is going to be at least $12,500 to win but still only 40 laps.
More money should be more laps. (Winged reference alert) Even though the Knoxville Nationals is now 50 laps, I still consider that a sprint race when you look at they are racing for $150,000. But it adds elements to the race, and the fans get more for their ticket dollar.
Yes, Knoxville is 50 laps, but they have a fuel and adjustment stop at "about" lap 25. So in reality it is twin 25's with only the last 25 paying.

1 member likes this post: oldfan49
5/19/17, 6:38 PM   #19
sprintcarjim

I would like to see 30 to 40 lap features, but more than that, I'd like to see the purse go up. I'd be willing to pay a couple 2, or 3 dollars more for a ticket and see the pay out be spread out through out the field. I'm not talking about the world of outlaws, or the all stars, I'm talking about usac, mscs and other non wing races. If I'm correct they have been on the most part been running for 2,000 to win and 5,ooooto win for a long time. Put on a regular sprint car tank, run 40 laps on the quarter miles , 30 on the half miles, and charge me a few more bucks at the ticket window and give these non wing drivers, and car owners what they deserve. If I was a car owner and I knew it was going to cost me close to $1,000 to race a night, and it payed 2,000 to win. I think I would leave it in the trailer. How about some sunshine, so we can go racing!!!

1 member likes this post: 2fast4u
5/20/17, 9:23 AM   #20
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
I like longer races, but mixing things up I think is more challenging for the racers and more entertaining for the fans. Varying lengths as opposed to a standard length ads an extra element to the drama and excitement. JMO
Not only does it add a extra element of drama and excitement it helps the overall racing. There are guys that are better in short races and guys that tend to be better in longer races. I'm a short race kinda guy, hell on wheels for a short distance, not so much in longer races. I know guys that are just the opposite. To me the racing suffers if you add laps to try to make all the races last the same duration.
Also IMHO if you have to take on fuel your no longer running a sprintcar race, you might be in a sprinter but you aint racing no sprintcar race. I'd call it more of a sprintcar spectacle.

1 member likes this post: captrat
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > race length?