IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tony Barhorst and your officiating crew!
1/3/11, 2:10 PM   #11
Re: Tony Barhorst and your officiating crew!
Tony Barhorst

Here is the rule: Jake was not at the drivers meeting. I will have this announced over the pa for fans to hear in the future.

This was stated at the driver meeting:
First lap is complete restart - all cars get their spot back.
If a lapped car takes the leader out, the leader gets his spot back.

We changed that rule to combat rough driving.

[B]Also..This comes from the best scorer in the business. Other than the original starts (and once or twice when the leader tangled with a lapped car) I don't remember giving anyone their spot back.

Nothing really sticks out in my mind about the #3 car. If that car spun five times I'm sure I would have remembered.

Tony has the score sheets from both nights. Anytime we had a caution I made a note of it and the cars involved.

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAC Fan View Post
Kind of like how you dealt with USAC and drivers in a private manner all over the PA system and this message board after your Union County screw up?
I have to say this..We did have private conversations before that race, we still had a race paying out the same purse. Kent Christain won the sprint feature, and Steve Buckwalter the midgets.

Before I get completly trashed..remember I EXPANDED midget week in 07 from 3 dates to 4 at KAMP. Not all bad here. But thats not the subject.

I have a great crew, and this is NOT TRUE.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

If anyone wants to see the events in question, check them out later this week here online for only $2.59 per day. They are editing out the downtime now.

http://www.racesontheweb.com/

I have brought 600 racing to the RCA Dome 2 years, and to pay per view internet TV..to be called out like this is very disappointing, but goes with the territory. I can only imagine what sanctioning bodies go through.
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 1/3/11 at 3:27 PM.

1/3/11, 2:58 PM   #12
Geoff Kaiser

Tony, I thought the program was well run overall and the officiating was more than satisfactory.

THANKS for putting this event on year after year.

1/3/11, 5:20 PM   #13
fish

I was there Friday & watched on the computer on Saturday.
I thought it was a well ran show and your crew did a great job.

And I'd like to add, the video feed I watched on Saturday went from start to finish without a single glitch.

Jim Fisher
www.fscpictorial.com
Last edited by fish; 1/3/11 at 5:22 PM.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
1/3/11, 7:51 PM   #14
rockstar5

I think it was a pretty good show. They do have a lot to deal with, so I can see where things can get overlooked. However, I am against judgement calls and I saw a lot of them happen. I can see if a lapped car takes out the leader then the leader gets his spot back but I saw more than one driver spin out by themselves and get there spot back. Also, I saw times when a caution was thrown and there shouldn't have been but a micro leaves the track and smokes the pit gate and you stay green (I think this was the worst wreck of the weekend). I understand you have a lot going on and you do a good job running the show but if you stop on the track you should go to the tail. It's that way at most tracks and I don't know why it would be any different there. However, I will be back next year and the year after so I guess it doesn't matter.

1/3/11, 9:09 PM   #15
koolaid89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar5 View Post
I think it was a pretty good show. They do have a lot to deal with, so I can see where things can get overlooked. However, I am against judgement calls and I saw a lot of them happen. I can see if a lapped car takes out the leader then the leader gets his spot back but I saw more than one driver spin out by themselves and get there spot back. Also, I saw times when a caution was thrown and there shouldn't have been but a micro leaves the track and smokes the pit gate and you stay green (I think this was the worst wreck of the weekend). I understand you have a lot going on and you do a good job running the show but if you stop on the track you should go to the tail. It's that way at most tracks and I don't know why it would be any different there. However, I will be back next year and the year after so I guess it doesn't matter.
It sounded bad... I was watching a battle elsewhere so I missed it. Anyone know how the driver is doing?

1/3/11, 11:04 PM   #16
Taylor44

Tony -- This was our first time racing the Rumble Series (dirt and FW).. Although we were totally out of our element in trying to get the car my son was driving to work on concrete and struggled the entire weekend, I can say I was totally impressed with the entire crew you had working this event. Everything down to the details of getting cars/karts/midgets on & off the track and through the hallways without everything being in a log-jam was very impressive ... each time we went on the track to start the day it wasn't a minute before or a minute after the posted times... I for one was totally impressed.

Thanks for a great show
Jon Taylor

1 member likes this post: Tony Barhorst
1/4/11, 12:21 AM   #17
Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
You might be the dumbest person on this board.
Funkster, Am I at least in the running...

1/4/11, 4:06 AM   #18
paynter23

The way this crew started the kart races was rediculous. It was a guessing game. The yellow light would be blinking entering turn 3 then the green was thrown. I didnt make the medium feature saturday, watching from the stands Schneider got upside down and slid to the turn 1 wall. I asked an official with a headset if it was gonna take somebody getting killed or seriously injured for them to start a race right and he shook his head yes and turned his back. Talk about a professional group right there. I was astounded when the official said that. Very low if you ask me

1/4/11, 7:33 AM   #19
Tony Barhorst

I will be reviewing the video of all events like a coach going over game film. So far however, the best scorer in racing has said that the accusation is not true. I am still looking into it.

We all strive to put on a good show for the teams and fans.

You be the judge, check out the video yourself. We live in a youtube age, and everything is on record.

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

With 38 midgets and 37 600's entering at the Rumble this year the action was going to raise the temps in late December. Starting off the night was the 600 quals with Chris Knox setting the pace with a fast time of 8.376. The Ligonier,Indiana driver showed that even though he hasn't ran a rumble in over 5 years he still knows how to get it done.

This setup a format of 4 heats taking the top 3 and two consies only taking the top 2. Heat 1 was won by Lorain, Ohio's A.J. Lesiecki who led from green to checkers with Tyler Ross from PA and Clay Sanders from MI also transferring. It showed how strong the field was when fast qualifier Chris Knox had to settle for 4th and would have to run the consy(houligan)race to get in.

Heat 2 was led by polesitter and last year's feature winner from Walnutport,PA's Ryan Smith, who looked to once again be a strong contender. Transferring behind him was Chris Stockham from NY and Paul Lotier from PA. Heat 3 was won by Cap Henry from Bellevue,OH followed by Jason Ormsby from Pierceton and Howard McCormick from Martinsville. It was also a shocker to the crowed that the 02 of John Ivy had problems and would settle for 4th, sending him to a consy.

Heat 4 had the most passing as Matt Janisch from Nazareth, PA went from the back to the front to take the final heats checkers. Following him and transferring was Larry Joe Sroufe and Amanda Quinones. This would setup the 2 consies and would determine which 21 drivers were not going to make the main dance. Consy 1 went to fast qualifier Chris Knox with Camden's Chris Miller transferring also. Consy 2 went to Oberlin, Ohio's Danny Shirey with Tyler Underwood from MI also transferring.

This would setup the main dance and getting the pole was the veteren Larry Joe Sroufe. Anytime you see the 21S on the pole it usually means trouble for the other 15 competitors. At the start of the race the 21s led the way and got an early caution with the 21C slowing in the backstretch and ending Clay Sanders' night. Then on the restart after 10 laps the #7 of Tyler Underwood slowed in turn 4 with a flat making him the 2nd casualty. The race then got a long green flag with the 21s holding strong but being pressured by the #44 of Chris Stockham. Right before the 1/2 way point the 04 of Cap Henry brought out a caution and then Chris Miller and Danny Shirey collected each other ending all 3 drivers' night and bringing the field down to only 12 cars. At the halfway point it was Sroufe,Stockham, Ormsby, Quinones, and Smith rounding out the top 5. The hard charger so far was Janisch who had come from 12th to 6th. With just 17 laps to go the 00 of Quinones pulled off and the hard charging Janisch got together with McCormick ending Janischs' charge to the front and his evening. On the final restart the last 15 laps ran green to checkers and the Larwill native held off Stockham, Ormsby, Miller and Smith. Chris Knox finished 6th which would put him in the drivers seat for the overall rumble points if he could make the A main saturday night. Congrats to Sroufe as he continues to show that his experience indoors is hard to beat no matter what other equipment he is up against.

The midgets night started off with Chris de Ritis from Philadelphia, PA setting the fast time with a 8.078 as the track was laying rubber and getting faster and faster. This setup 5 heats taking the top 2 with 3 consies only taking 1. You talk about a tough deal with an invert of 3 the heats would be intense. Heat 1 was won from the pole by Independence Ohio's Tim Jedzejek with the youngster from Danville Nick Hamilton transferring from the 4th starting spot.

Heat 2 would be dominated by last years' winner Noblesvilles' Billy Wease by a 1/2 lap over Joliet,IL driver Jim Anderson. Heat 3 would be won from the 3rd starting spot by Avon's Jon Stanbrough over Howell, MI driver Adam Wilsdon. After the checkers the Wilsdon car had a fire and pulled in the pits as the fireman hit it with an extinguisher.

Heat 4 was won from the pole by Danvilles' Nick Hamilton followed by hometown favorite Geoff Kaiser transferring.

The final heat was won by Pocahontas, IL driver Zach Daum over Lincolns' Dave Darland. This would setup the final 3 spots plus the fast qualifier that didn't make it through.

Consies 1 and 2 were won from the pole by fast qualifier Ritis and David Gough transferring through. Consy 3 had the most passing as Markham, Illinois driver veteran Rich Corson came from the 4th starting spot to win and move on to the main dance.

This setup the 60 lap A with the front row being Kaiser and Stanbrough. On the start of the feature contact was the top action with an early yellow when Kaiser got sideways then Stanbrough slowed to miss him with Darland taping the #7 of Stanbrough spinning him. On the restart the winner of last year Wease stormed from 3rd to 1st to take the lead. He looked to be the class of the field early. On lap 20 the #10 of Kaiser spun in turn 2 while he was running 5th. Then on the 23rd lap the #99 of Wease slowed while leading and ending his night with what was found out to be a broken gear. This gave the lead to the #0 of Dave Darland. Right after the half way point the 8up of Tim Jedrzejek spun in 4 while running 2nd. Then on the restart the #0 of Darland looked to slow down and gave up the lead on the 43rd lap to Joliets' Jim Anderson from the 6th starting spot. On the 47th lap Darland lost another spot to Howell Michigan driver Adam Wilsdon. Anderson would hold on for the final 17 laps to pick up a huge win. The quote from the Joliet driver was " I had hoped to at least make one of the A mains during the weekend so I could pay for my gas over here". Following him was Wilsdon, Darland, Corson, Kaiser, Gough, Jedrzejek, Nick Hamilton, Setser and Daum rounding out the top 10. The races friday night ended at 10:30 with the Pitbull Stunt driver NOT making his jump of 10 Evans Toyota's and crashing hard in front of the crowd about 11:15.
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 1/4/11 at 12:20 PM.

1/4/11, 7:48 AM   #20
Tony Barhorst

Day 2 started the new year out with the track getting faster and faster. Fast time for the 600's was the #14J of Janisch with a blazing 7.941.

Heat 1 went to Jackson Michigans' Brad Lamberson with Sroufe and Richard Smith transferring from the 7th starting spot. The track on day 2 seemed to have a lot more passing with the more rubber down.

Heat 2 was won by Walnutport, PA driver Ryan Smith over Tyler Ross and Chris Stockham.

Heat 3 was won by Jackson Michigans' Dan Dunigan Jr. followed by Amanda Quinones and Chris Knox. This would wrap up the Rumble points for Chris Knox by making the feature. Heat 4 was won by Kendalvilles' Ben Taylor followed by Ormsby and John Ivy making the feature.

Consy 1 the #14J of Janisch did it again as he came from the back to the front and went from 3rd to 1st on the top shelf to take the checkers followed by A.J Lesiecki.

Consy 2 was won by Martinsvilles' Howard McCormick followed by Paul Lotier Jr.

This setup the saturday Amain for the 600's with a strong front row of Ryan Smith and John Ivy. The action was crazy in the beginning as the #51 and 19 of Dunigan got together with the #51 coming back into the straightaway crowd which collected McCormick and Lesiecki ending Ormsby and McCormicks' night. While this was going on the #92 of Knox flipped in the backstretch on his side but the car was ok and he would restart in the back. In 5 laps the 14j was once again fast as he went from 13th to 8th. The front three were very strong with Smith, Ivy and Sroufe leading the way.

At the 1/2 way point behind them was Ross, Janisch and Quionones. While running 4th the 3T of Ross hit the tire in turn 2 ending his night. On the restart with 10 to go Janisch and Dunnigan got together battling for 4th spinning the 14J ending his great run to the front. The PA midget driver Smith held off Ivy, Sroufe, Dunigan, Lamberson, Quinones, Janisch and Lesiecki. Once again the 600's put on a great show and with the increasing car counts 2011 looks to be another great battle at the RUMBLE.

Day 2 of the midgets started with David Gough blitzing the clock at 7.709 with three drivers in the 7.7 bracket.

Heat 1 was won by Angolas' Derek Bischak over Darland. Fast time Gough would have to go through a consy finishing 3rd. Heat

2 was won by Stanbrough over Friday nights' winner Anderson.

Heat 3 was won by the #8up Jedrzejek followed by Bobby Santos making his first A of the weekend.

Heat 4 was won by hometown favorite Cory Setser over an impressive youngster from Danville Nick Hamilton making both A mains with his kenyon car. This setup the final 6 spots up for grabs with 2 out of each consy.

Consy 1 had fast qualifier Gough winning from the pole over New Yorks' Jim "Timex" Morgan.

Consy 2 went to Billy Wease over hometown favorite Geoff Kaiser.

The final consy went to Adam Wilsdon over Rich Corson. This setup the final 60 lap feature which would have teammate drama again.

The front row was Bischak and Santos. The first yellow was for a spinning Morgan that ended his night with front end damage. On the restart the 31 of Bischak looked strong and led for the first 15 laps with Stanbrough behind him. Then while leading Bischak was trying to lap the 99 of Wease and got together with him spinning and coming to a stop. This would give the lead to Stanbrough and at the 1/2 way point it was Jon, Setser, Anderson, Darland and Gough. Then came the drama with Darland moving up to 3rd by the 33rd lap. With just 5 to go the 0 got into the #56 while running 2nd which did not make the local Setser fans very happy. This put Darland behind his teammate and the crowd could sense that the #0 was going to make a bonzai move to try to get the top spot. Sure enough going into 3 with less than 15 laps left the 0 dove under the left rear wheel of the #7 making contact sending Stanbrough around. The crowd was partly for Darland with the other half not happy with the move he made. The #7 was done for the night with front end damage leaving the #0 in the lead. The 99A also stopped ending his good 3rd place run. On the restart the #0 never looked back and took the checkered flag.

Will this build the drama between the #56 Foxco entry and the Goodnight entry of Darland? You never know but you could tell Stanbrough in the pits was not amused of what happened. But this is indoor racing and you can never open up even a wheel or somebody might fill the gap. Congrats to Darland followed by Gough, Bischak, Wilsdon, Anderson, Kaiser and Nick Hamilton rounding out the top 7. Thanks to the Rumble Crew for another great weekend. See you again at the end of December and will Stanbrough repay his teammate next year or will they be teammates again?

Written By: Kenny Clark
=

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tony Barhorst and your officiating crew!