IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili bowl
1/20/19, 4:05 PM   #31
ISF

Anyone know what hapened that Dave Darland was black flagged from the first B-main? A person setting near us said it was due to unsportsmanlike conduct.

1/20/19, 4:07 PM   #32
IndianaSprintFan

The 4 to 5 hours of coverage isn’t what bothered me personally, I actually enjoyed it. It was that it was well after 1 a.m. ET. Hard for me to stay awake in the comfort of my home. But all I really wanted to know is if it was normal to run that late or if this way a off year. Sorry to stir everyone up. Lol

1/20/19, 4:10 PM   #33
Midget98

I think the issue some have (myself included) is that there weren't any of these crazy long delays all week long running multiple heats, qualifiers, c mains, b mains and feature. Why, as soon as MavTV takes over does everything take 5 times as long as it has all week? I've attended the races many times and this was never the case a few years back. Last year was bad and this year was worse. I love the on-track product they deliver, but there's absolutely no need to draw it out as long as this. Everything runs on schedule all week until live TV time and then it all goes to hell.

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Al Pierce, captrat, jim goerge
1/20/19, 4:11 PM   #34
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSprintFan View Post
The 4 to 5 hours of coverage isn’t what bothered me personally, I actually enjoyed it. It was that it was well after 1 a.m. ET. Hard for me to stay awake in the comfort of my home. But all I really wanted to know is if it was normal to run that late or if this way a off year. Sorry to stir everyone up. Lol
I have the last 4 Chili Bowls on my DVR

2016 record time 4 hrs 29 mins
2017 record time 4 hrs 33 mins
2018 record time 3 hrs 37 mins
2019 record time 5 hrs 2 mins

7 members like this post: booher, Chief Wahoo, jdull99, PIT CART, RockinRy, Rpracing1, spicoli
1/20/19, 4:13 PM   #35
Re: Chili bowl
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 22

Lucas Oil owns MAVTV. It's the highest watched show for them every year, so it equals plenty of Lucas Oil advertisements and promo's. It gives me and my stupid friends ( RPracing1 ), extra time to bullsh!t and drink
Last edited by Chief Wahoo; 1/20/19 at 4:15 PM.

5 members like this post: Can26, jdull99, jim goerge, progressive22, racenut69
1/20/19, 4:25 PM   #36
kdobson

I would guess that it had something to do with getting the air circulated. Track prep was completed a good 25-30 mins before the race started. Not sure why MAV wanted to show us last year's race instead of driver introductions. While I was also getting frustrated as a fan as I watched my son eventually fall asleep on the couch and miss what he had stayed up for... there's almost always a legitimate reason when you have people who know what they are doing running things... and knowing several of the people running things down there - they know what they are doing.

The only lesson I took from it watching as a fan was: Communication. If somewhere around 11:00 (Central) we had been informed of the fact we were an hour away from the feature for whatever reason.... they would have avoided the grumpiness and wise-cracking (which I eventually started participating in via texts that were floating in) because the fans would have been informed and had that expectation. The problem is that for an hour we all assumed we were 10 mins or so from going green. No harm. No foul. Great race.

2 members like this post: erich45, jim goerge
1/20/19, 4:53 PM   #37
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdobson View Post
I would guess that it had something to do with getting the air circulated. Track prep was completed a good 25-30 mins before the race started. Not sure why MAV wanted to show us last year's race instead of driver introductions. While I was also getting frustrated as a fan as I watched my son eventually fall asleep on the couch and miss what he had stayed up for... there's almost always a legitimate reason when you have people who know what they are doing running things... and knowing several of the people running things down there - they know what they are doing.

The only lesson I took from it watching as a fan was: Communication. If somewhere around 11:00 (Central) we had been informed of the fact we were an hour away from the feature for whatever reason.... they would have avoided the grumpiness and wise-cracking (which I eventually started participating in via texts that were floating in) because the fans would have been informed and had that expectation. The problem is that for an hour we all assumed we were 10 mins or so from going green. No harm. No foul. Great race.
The announcers did say there was going to be a 45-50 minutes before the A main sometime after the B was finished. We were all puzzled as to the delay. I was also wondering why they didn’t show the driver intros.

1/20/19, 5:11 PM   #38
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I did not see any of it. I spent 16 hours removing snow with a shovel. Had no idea who was prepping the track. All I knew is it wasn't Tommy. I picked that up from multiple posts. I have helped prep tracks before, and know with that many cars it would be a challenge for any body.
Did not see any of it yet plenty to say. Your source was into the beer yet you told us Bell started 15th. Really? I’m sorry but sometimes nothing said is the smartest thing to say. With all of the people you talk to I find it hard to believe you didn’t know Ole Phony Stewart was the prep guy. Everybody knew Tommy wasn’t the guy doing the track. Sorry you had to shovel so much snow but maybe that’s better than shoveling all of the excriment you’ve been posting.

Eldora track prep is bad and last nite was bad. Common denominator?? Check your sources I’m sure you will figure it out.

3 members like this post: bighd0522, jim goerge, Kinser11
1/20/19, 5:29 PM   #39
ossuks

So, it comes down to this, 35 minutes of competition in 300 minutes. Some feel they were privileged to get to watch, others felt they were inconvenienced. So how do you perceive it?

Me, I grew up in a world with 4 tv channels. To put things in perspective, at 11 pm on New Years Eve was the Bluebonnet Bowl, and there was nothing cooler that staying up and watching that game. Today I could have watched 50 plus live games Saturday alone. When I was a youngster I would have put getting to watch a live race on the same stage as going to the Indianapolis 500. Trouble is, the entertainment world is at my finger tips today, and I felt like I was being held hostage last night. It was not a privilege to get to watch the Chili Bowl this mourning, it was a choice. A choice that some will not make in the future. The kind of choice that keeps the sport mired in a perception that it is a privilege. Which is why Sprint / Midget racing will soldier on with a "self contained" following on an obscure station.

1/20/19, 6:00 PM   #40
Kinser11

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post

Eldora track prep is bad and last nite was bad. Common denominator?? Check your sources I’m sure you will figure it out.

Your going to loose your point fund money!
And be suspended, from competing in any races.
He is the greatest prep man ever, just ask anyone at USAC.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili bowl