IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Driver adjustments
2/22/18, 9:34 PM   #11
RACrappieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmemmer View Post
Talked to several drivers in Florida and some teams were taking things too far. Things you wouldn't even image.
You’ve peaked my curiosity big time.
My dad was an old time Indy mechanic, and he’s told me stories of what “creative measures” they took back then. I’d love to hear some things that were being tried. Racing minds are some of the most creative minds in the world in my opinion.

2/22/18, 10:35 PM   #12
Re: Driver adjustments
Sprint63122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtime sprinter View Post
Someone smarter than me, (that may be anyone reading this), please explain why USAC would take away the drivers "in car" adjustments, on the suspension? How will that affect the cars handling from track to track? Is it a big deal?
They just said you can not have the shock adjuster knobs or weight jacker adjustments inside the cockpit for the drivers to adjust while racing they can still run the same shocks as before and a jacker on the front if they want to just not hooked up to a adjusting cable. Not going to increase there car counts at all anyways if that what usac is after they burned there bridge with enough people the past few years the damage is done. Allowing the electronic bleeders is just another cost increase for the sport that was not needed wonder who in the corp office got the payoff for this rule and I know it is not required to run them but still they where not allowed to begin with so why now.

2 members like this post: the1jet17, tirespinner
2/22/18, 11:33 PM   #13
treecitytornado

Until USAC banned Cockpit Adjustments, it's was only Winged Cars that had banned them!
There was no reason to do it other than to mess with the Racers that know how to use them and tune their cars under yellow or red flags. Sometimes under Green Flag conditions too, if there is enough time out of traffic or longer straightaways. It's a convenient tuning tool, even in the Pits! It's not expensive to Run 4 cables from your shocks to the cockpit! The shocks are the expensive part! Used Shadow Weight Jackers aren't expensive either! They aren't expensive to rebuild either! They are a great tuning tool for rapidly changing track conditions too!
This is yet another thing that USAC should have just left alone!
Hopefully all the Regular Sprint Car tracks and MSCS will leave it alone. I know the only True Open Series, BOSS, will leave it OPEN.

1 member likes this post: the1jet17
2/23/18, 1:54 AM   #14
cshuman

Wing series weren’t the only ones to have the rule : )

2/23/18, 10:08 AM   #15
Longtime sprinter

I also thank you, explains it perfectly.

2/23/18, 2:28 PM   #16
on_the_edge

(in reference to bleeder remark) What do you mean they weren't allowed to begin with? They have been legal since their inception a couple years ago. Everyone can run them so I'm not really seeing the issue with the bleeders. Yes they are expensive but it's a one time cost. Tires are expensive too but you have to buy them. You don't have to buy the bleeders the old style work just fine, although they take more maintenance and getting them set can be finicky. The bleeder agreument seems crazy to me, you can't adjust them remotely so not sure what the big deal about them is.

3 members like this post: bobO, dustbowl, tirespinner
2/23/18, 2:56 PM   #17
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_the_edge View Post
(in reference to bleeder remark) What do you mean they weren't allowed to begin with? They have been legal since their inception a couple years ago. Everyone can run them so I'm not really seeing the issue with the bleeders. Yes they are expensive but it's a one time cost. Tires are expensive too but you have to buy them. You don't have to buy the bleeders the old style work just fine, although they take more maintenance and getting them set can be finicky. The bleeder agreument seems crazy to me, you can't adjust them remotely so not sure what the big deal about them is.
Also a little fuzzy logic; if Swindell is lining their pockets to allow the bleeders wouldn't they be just as eager to line the other pocket with Afco or Pro dough for the cables and knobs?
Here's a thought; consistent air pressure could be considered a safety factor.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: bobO
2/23/18, 7:22 PM   #18
treecitytornado

Until this year, which Non-Wing dirt 410 Sprint Car series didn't allow cockpit adjustments. USAC, MSCS, BOSS, and all local tracks allowed them. Maybe you didn't with WAR, but Everyone else Non-Wing allowed them.

2/24/18, 6:43 AM   #19
Scott42

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Until this year, which Non-Wing dirt 410 Sprint Car series didn't allow cockpit adjustments. USAC, MSCS, BOSS, and all local tracks allowed them. Maybe you didn't with WAR, but Everyone else Non-Wing allowed them.

Thats not what your first post said though....

2 members like this post: cshuman, Kydehart
2/24/18, 9:42 AM   #20
Backitin

Less is better when it comes to nonwinged sprints. Cant there be one four wheel motorsport that remains basically unchanged and damn near perfect.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Driver adjustments