Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill
6/25/09, 10:04 PM   #161
Re: The Rumor Mill
RichC

Quote:
If you were the Open Wheel Stadium Czar, what would you run,
Sprints, Midgets, or Both?
I'm a sprint car guy but I'd think you'd have to start with midgets. I'm not sure there's enough room in a stadium for sprints even though they run them at Ventura which is very small. If you can get a foothold with midgets, add the sprints later.

The thought behind this crazy idea is a relatively quick way to jump start the finances. Money cures a lot of problems.

But this is completely off topic from the subject at hand.

6/26/09, 4:53 AM   #162
thebus79h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I thought this was over?????? Tony didn't make me mad, His statements only came after dozens of haulers were lined up leaving while fans were still comming in. Not that I excuse them THE FANS WERE TOLD NOTHING.
That matters totally resolved with me both by USAC and Tony. It may have hurt Tonys image. Can't blame you if you feel that way. I don't blame the drivers either. JUST A BAD SITUATION for all. Tony gave money back and held a race. All he could do in his situation other than keep his cool.[COLOR="Black"]
I live in Liberty (Union County) and ask someone around here about USAC, and ya know what they have to say... "a bunch of ******* that are scared of a track". Wether that's true or not, I really dont' care. Some raced, and most did not. I was there, I've been there for every sprint race, and will continue to go to every one. Those people that were there from town, not the people from this board were there to see a spectacle that Tony Barhorst put on. And you know what, that was quite possibly the coolest day of my life, shattered into a million pieces when I stood there at the pit gate watching a bunch of guys leaving. They can race where they want, and they didnt' want to race there, that's fine. The reason I even say this is very simple...

I work in retail, and customer perception is everything. If a person is used to a late model, and they see a sprint car, it's something new and exciting. Well, when they see them all lined up in the pits and then none actually go out on the track, they're perception changes. If there would have been an explanantion, that would have been much better. When I got there it was about 20 minutes before hotlaps were supposed to start, but yet, nothing occurred. Everybody stood around with their thumbs in their butt, until a few people took over and said it wasn't going on. Make the call early. Lie to me. Do something. Tell me you can't get an abulance on scene. Tell me you think it could rain. Jesus Christ tell me it was to hot that day. Perception is key, and proof is in the pudding. More times than not, USAC has completely let me down. Sprint week a couple years ago at the Burg when it was cancelled for "rain" that never happened. Don't care if it's USACs call or not, they are the "sanctioning body" so it's their race. It's the things like that that turn me away from USAC. I haven't really gone to much since, and I'm not hurt by it.

I won't go back to Anderson to watch that boring episode known as a "race". I had more fun watching the junk race earlier in the night. At least they actualy raced. The problem with the pavement stuff is it just costs way to damned much. Look at Jessup for example, they ahve enough money to run a few pavement races. I'm not saying he would, but what would happen if he turned that budget over to dirt, he'd probably get a hell of a lot more races. (at least I figure he would). Like Robbins said,what is the incentive to run pavement? There isn't any unless you're running the full USAC tour. And really, what's the point in that? The races don't pay much, there isn't any exposure at all in the press, just nothing. Promote. It's a lost art that hopefully someone could find.

I'm not a huge fan of the WoO, but you know what, if you take someone that is a passive nascar fan, they know who Swindell, Kisner, Lasoski, and all those guys are. That's a fact. They do. Why? They've been around for a while, and WoO has done a hell of a job promoting them.

The idea of the supercross stuff is actually pretty cool. Wonder what it would take to make a track for them a bit smaller, and run a 1/4 mile dirt track ouside of it. Or even better, put arena cross into a bigger venue with some of that motocross freestyle stuff, that way the track can be smaller to accomodate. I just think it needs to start with cost control, and I believe what Tony is saying to be the truth. USAC could have nipped this whole thing in the butt, but decided not to in fear of pissing some people off. racing has always been expensive, and it always will be, but running these big motors, and wide tires really hasn't made the racing any better at all. In fact, it's gotten worse. I would like to know what is spent to run a full USAC season competitively. I'm talking a Kunz, Hoffman, TSR, etc, top notch ride. How much does it cost the Hoffman team to compete. Tires, cars, motors, fuel, everything. I'd love to see a number. Limiting one tire per night on the right rear is a start, and I like whoevers idea about right sides for a pavement deal. There has to be something.

6/26/09, 8:48 AM   #163
Tony Barhorst

I want to point out to those that did not like what I had to say that day this...I kept my head enough to rearrange the race to go on even though my heros were leaving...They waited until the last minute..then pulled the plug after we made most of the changes needed. I kept my head enough to give refunds to those that wanted them...200 angry people had gathered before I could get over there after rearranging the races. It was only after that that I took the mike..

I only promote a FEW races each year...I put everything I have into them..WOULD I LIKE TO HAVE HAD A BETTER RACE TRACK?....HELL YES as someone once said...But it was raceable...we proved that...big name drivers who stayed said they have raced on worse..I put every day of my time into that race from the mid January on...
Good race tracks are hard to find....THE MSCS had a race scheduled there...The All Stars ran there...The UMRA TQ's ran there many, many times.

If you add up all the positive things I have said about USAC over my career....It is 95% positive words..I promoted the teams of NOW...and the GREATS of the USAC past....Who I still love

I called Kevin Miller after Greg Staab was forced out...and said " Are you onboard with this Union County date?
He said YES....I regret I did not invite him out to the track to talk about it..I spent most of my time complaining about Staab being let go...I could see they were shorthanded with all they wanted to do..Remember...Greg was a promoter..

I want to tell all race fans...I was tring to expand midget racing (for a profit, none made)....I tried to make an event out of it....we tried to have fun with it. I wanted to make it fun for fans

When it is all said and done...I am disillusioned with the quality of race tracks available. Bottom line...I made a mistake by trusting a race track to make changes needed.

Trust in this...I won't let those mistakes happen again. I won't ever forget it..Having the sanction body that was really the showcase for my hero's leaving on you...will do that to you. I think about that day everyday.
It does not sound like it...but I have pretty much moved past it...(If I had this years Midget Week date...IT RAINED)

The thing that get's my goat again is the fact they get great raindates...and they go back to a racetrack that had a car leave the ball park?...What happened to protecting the teams and fans?

The reason I stuck my nose into this thread?...Because USAC's current leaders have ALREADY been told about ways to improve the car count...by unselfish BIG TEAMS...and they said FORGET THAT>>>
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 6/26/09 at 10:02 PM.

6/26/09, 8:54 PM   #164
Pavement Dave

Guys I think were overlooking several things here. This is a fairly simple fix. Testing within a week of the event is a huge killer to guys who are on a limited budget. Thats why you no longer see AVSS and HOSS guys running the USAC events. These guys are the most important componenet to the future of USAC pavement racing to insure larger fields. But right now many feel like they cant compete so they simply no longer show up. And we DONT need bigger purses at pavement races right now. The purse is very fair for what the promoters get in return. This cannot all be blamed on economics.
AVSS and HOSS have been battling for the same drivers and cars for years and both are very healthy as we speak. Jim Hanks of Must See Racing got both of these clubs to work together this year and the results have been incredible. Over 20 cars at each show with spectacular racing with very minimal expenses and a fair purse with TV!!!!! at co-sanctioned events. Hanks convinced both clubs that they needed to work together to take asphalt sprint car racing to a higher level and capture new fans through tv. We need to figure out how to get the Jimmy McCunes, Jeff Blooms, Kevin Feeneys, and Aron Pierces back as they have drifted to the more economical winged events.
My next question is has USAC contacted Jim Hanks and Must See Racing about future tv events?

6/27/09, 4:46 PM   #165
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I'm a sprint car guy but I'd think you'd have to start with midgets. I'm not sure there's enough room in a stadium for sprints even though they run them at Ventura which is very small. If you can get a foothold with midgets, add the sprints later.

The thought behind this crazy idea is a relatively quick way to jump start the finances. Money cures a lot of problems.

But this is completely off topic from the subject at hand.
Could not USAC form partnership with the AMA or MONSTER JAM with these stadium events. These events are normally packed with people. The arenas are big enough. The dirt is already there. The track working equipment is already there. The people are already there. Could there not be some new fans generated from partnering with some of these events.
Pick up a new fan base from these events and your local tracks will see bigger numbers.

6/27/09, 6:41 PM   #166
dant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Could not USAC form partnership with the AMA or MONSTER JAM with these stadium events. These events are normally packed with people. The arenas are big enough. The dirt is already there. The track working equipment is already there. The people are already there. Could there not be some new fans generated from partnering with some of these events.
Pick up a new fan base from these events and your local tracks will see bigger numbers.
Just curious how this would work......an exhibition of midgets or a full race ,who pays the purse...the dirt might be there the equip. might be there ..whos to say the people would pay to see another sporting event

6/30/09, 8:24 PM   #167
dirtywhiteboy

Here are several ideas USAC could try:

1. Schedule races back in "traditional" USAC areas. There was a huge fanbase in Central Illinois years ago and there could easily be one again if USAC could do an Illinois Openwheel week if they could team with MSCS and run some sprintcar double headers with the USAC/BMARA/POWRI midget series. Maybe run some modifieds as support classes to get a better back gate and get some local fans that are maybe not up on their midget/sprint car racing

2. TV (even webcasting) is so very vital. If people can't see it they don't know it is there. Maybe get a TV contract that gets the big races (Knoxville Nationals, Firemans Nationals, Turkey Night, Hut Hundred, Hoosier Hundred, 4 Crown and the Night before the 500) on tv. That way you have some coverage of the on track product and can showcase the talent that races with USAC.

3. Get some on site promotions at the track. Get the drivers involved be it interviews over the PA, getting drivers in the stands to talk with people and introduce themselves to fans.

These are just a few small ideas.

6/30/09, 8:52 PM   #168
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

So if you are keeping the pavement.
How about the first weekend of every month sprints on dirt.The second weekend midgets on dirt.The third weekend pavement sprints.The fourth weekend pavement midgets.The months with 5 weekends silver crown cars.Give the teams two nights a weekend close like Bloomington,Lawrenceburg.Or Anderson, Winchester.Not Indiana Friday,Iowa Saturday.

6/30/09, 9:45 PM   #169
LittleRube

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
So if you are keeping the pavement.
How about the first weekend of every month sprints on dirt.The second weekend midgets on dirt.The third weekend pavement sprints.The fourth weekend pavement midgets.The months with 5 weekends silver crown cars.Give the teams two nights a weekend close like Bloomington,Lawrenceburg.Or Anderson, Winchester.Not Indiana Friday,Iowa Saturday.
So what would you do on the 3rd and 4th weekend?
Posted via Mobile Device

6/30/09, 9:59 PM   #170
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRube View Post
So what would you do on the 3rd and 4th weekend?
Posted via Mobile Device
Go to MSCS races or local shows like I do now,when they run pavement

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Rumor Mill