IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cheating
5/17/18, 10:32 PM   #1
Cheating
Cobra 14

When people get caught cheating with illegal engines, I figure Only two situations cause this issue.

Either the team asked for an illegal engine to try to get wins to promote their driver or the engine builder built an illegal engine to try to get wins to promote his business. Which one was it?

Cheating is no different than stealing from your fellow competitors.

What's everyone's thoughts?

3 members like this post: ctj_56, RACER99W, trannyman
5/18/18, 7:27 AM   #2
motorhead748

My thoughts are there are entirely too many sprint classes

5/18/18, 7:36 AM   #3
Re: Cheating
Ken Bonnema

There's one more scenario that I have seen quite often. That is low dollar teams running what they have. These folks are like so many in our sport who really cannot afford to race but do so against all odds. They really don't want to cheat, their illegal motor is likely worn out and they have NO chance of ever winning. If they all go away you'll be looking at single digit car counts .......

5/18/18, 7:37 AM   #4
flatout

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
My thoughts are there are entirely too many sprint classes
+1. All of these different divisions in the name of saving cost have only served to water down the sport and make things harder for promoters/track owners

5/18/18, 8:56 AM   #5
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

There is a LOT less in Sprints than late models or DIRT Mods!

3 members like this post: badcoupe, smith19, TQ29m
5/18/18, 10:30 AM   #6
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
There is a LOT less in Sprints than late models or DIRT Mods!
I guess that's why I tended to run the classes with fewer rules, less human nature to not follow the few rules intended to run by, and, if asked, easier to explain, I've been the guy on both sides, the one enforcing the rules, and the one writing them, that's why the rules I wrote were so simple, but, someone will always test even the simplest dot, comma, or whatever, it's easy to write rules that can't be enforced, if you don't know anything about racing, or the people who race, look at NASCAR, if you want, it costs more to hire someone to keep you straight on the rules package, than it does to race, think that isn't a nightmare, I always tried the old adage, KISS, and it has always been the best advice I ever took. My wife has been going thru some of my old paperwork, from back in the day, and she sorts out stuff that I have written for me to decide to keep it or toss it, not much get tossed. How long would it take to run a night of racing, if everything was easy to understand, and up front with very little gray areas, 2 pages, or 4 if in the small, back pocket size, is plenty, KISS, and keep the dictionary closed, and get someone who knows the sport, we once hired a lawyer, with some racing background, to write up a new rule book, just to COA, only he, had any idea what, or how to interpret it, back to KISS. In the long run, no matter what the rule is, someone will "adjust" it to fit their own application, so no use trying to outthink everyone, I was around when Nascar first began, it was pretty simple, but look at it now, there are way more lawyers, and engineers, and whoever else they can bring on board, to put on the payroll, than all of the cars, drivers and owners, no wonder the ship is sinking, it's overloaded. Just sayn! Bob

4 members like this post: Ken Bonnema, oppweld, Pat O'Connor Fan, Roy Bleckert
5/18/18, 10:42 AM   #7
TQ29m

Here's another tidbit we used to follow a lot, "If the flagman didn't see it, it didn't happen", he is in charge of what you do on the track, what you do during the week to your race car, is up to you, we once had a guy, that just flat couldn't drive, and he just knew everyone was cheating, so his first thing to do to a new engine, was bore it, and stroke it, and cam it, and valve it, as big as he could buy parts for, didn't make him a nickels worth faster, oh it sounded good, I would have loved to have had it, but we finally just kinda let him go, he wasn't hurting anything or anyone by doing what he was doing, and he finally just drifted away, I think he liked the attention he was getting, and the fact he had the money to back it up, but nothing came of it, it finally just bored him out.

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
5/18/18, 11:36 AM   #8
Cobra 14

I'm beginning to really think all classes need to reduce tire width dramatically and then say boys have at it. Ultimately if you can't hook it up.. Who cares how much you have. This alone will stop the big $ spending too gain an advantage.

5 members like this post: billw, Blackduce, Pat O'Connor Fan, sprinter6p, The Old Coyote
5/18/18, 4:15 PM   #9
Ken Bonnema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 14 View Post
I'm beginning to really think all classes need to reduce tire width dramatically and then say boys have at it. Ultimately if you can't hook it up.. Who cares how much you have. This alone will stop the big $ spending too gain an advantage.
You know who's gonna win if that would happen? The very same folks that are winning now. Case in point:USAC in what was described as a cost cutting measure is in the process of banning cockpit adj. shocks (which most folks already have) while allowing $1300.00 bleeders (which most folks don't have) I'm not sure how that saves money but that's not the point. Many posters here were very happy with the shock deal because they believe that it will level the playing field. WRONG!!! It will actually increase their advantage because THEY HAVE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS MOST HAVE NOT THOUGHT OF. THEY are FAR better at reading a track and their shock program is spot on.

No matter what, the cream will always rise to the top.

3 members like this post: Roy Bleckert, spicoli, TQ29m
5/18/18, 6:20 PM   #10
dustbowl

The elimination of shock adjusters was never once described as a cost cutting measure. The bleeders have been allowed for years, more people run them than what you think.
Last edited by dustbowl; 5/18/18 at 6:21 PM.

2 members like this post: Momentum Suspensions, progressive22
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cheating