IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ISW 2019 Positive Comments & Fun Fact
7/28/19, 7:52 PM   #1
ISW 2019 Positive Comments & Fun Fact
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Another Indiana Sprint Week has come and gone and man, was it awesome! While I appreciate that everyone (including myself) has the right to complain about whatever they want, we just had a string of 8 damn good races in the state of Indiana. Regardless of track prep, spectator seating, bleachers, seat saving, conspiracy theories, internet streaming, microphones not working, parking, which drivers are better and where (local track drivers vs USAC regulars), later start times, etc., as race fans, we truly could not have asked for a better ISW, in my opinion.

We were fortunate enough to make all 8 races this year. Who would've thought with the spring flooding and countless rainouts this year that we would get perfect (albeit warm) weather for ISW. The only threat of rain was last Sunday at Lawrenceburg and USAC/Burg worked together to speed things up and the checkers dropped just as the rain did. Otherwise, the days were sunny, warm and breezy (thank goodness). We got to see a competitive sprint week come down to the last race, where up to 4 drivers still had a chance. Outstanding.

We also had a great time catching up with friends, some of which we may not see very often. We also made new friends along the way. If you go to a race track in Indiana and don't make a new friend, you aren't trying very hard. We thoroughly enjoyed spending the afternoons and evenings visiting with friends under a canopy or shade tree and sharing stories, some beverages and a lot of laughter.

Now for the fun fact. We kept a running list of spectator cars we saw in the parking lots during sprint week and noted what state they were from. We saw license plates from 32 states and 2 from Canada. If you are curious, the list is attached. I'm sure there are some that we missed so please don't be offended if your state isn't listed. It was suggested to us that next year we look at Indiana plates to see how many counties (out of the 92 in Indiana) are in attendance. Seeing how far people come to watch sprint car racing in Indiana is amazing. It's a great reminder of how lucky we are to have such great racing and so many options on any given weekend. People will always complain about something, but let's keep this thread focused on the positive. Feel free to share your thoughts below on what you LOVED about ISW2K19.

As one of our dear friends says, we hope all of our racing families enjoy all of the great racing events wherever they go and you make some Kodak moments. God Bless America.
Last edited by wildman92; 3/28/21 at 10:06 AM.

7/28/19, 9:55 PM   #2
openwheelfan1

You get to add Kentucky to your list. We were there for the last 4 races of ISW 19. And no, we’re not offended.

7/28/19, 11:39 PM   #3
SoIllSprinter

Saw the last week and enjoyed every show. Nice to see Haubstadt with 40 cars at the finale. The weather was fantastic as well.

7/29/19, 5:22 AM   #4
Blackduce

These 2 groups had Indiana plates. They came Australia for all Sprint Week races. One group had 4 and the other had 5. One group had a $7,000. air fare tickets.
They are flying home now. Their plates were on Rental cars.

Lynn

6 members like this post: Dirtfan, PJ Wright, rapid robert, sw1911, tirespinner, wildman92
7/29/19, 9:23 AM   #5
Re: ISW 2019 Positive Comments & Fun Fact
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Post ISW. The day after. Slept in my own bed,got up ,ate breakfast,napped in my lazy boy til the afternoon.Then went back to bed for a serious nap.Got up,napped through the Nascar race (I know,hard to believe) ate dinner. In bed by 10:30 aaah

7 members like this post: Big Mike 7, dirt330, Dirtfan, duel, luckybuc97, tirespinner, wildman92
7/29/19, 9:25 AM   #6
Rpracing1

My crew did the back half of ISW19. Always enjoy catching up/tailgating with current racing friends , meeting new ones and always look forward to our visits with our Netherlands bud Jeroen H. Got to spend some time this past week chatting with Stanbrough, T-Mez, and Ballou. Always entertaining.

4 members like this post: Blackduce, Dirtfan, tirespinner, wildman92
7/29/19, 9:25 AM   #7
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 22

One guy we met last year and made friends with is from the Netherlands! We were fortunate enough to see him again this year and were able to hang out a little with him for the last 4 races.

5 members like this post: Blackduce, Dirtfan, Stephen Cording, tirespinner, wildman92
7/29/19, 10:20 AM   #8
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

I couldn't make it this year, but the FloRacing videos were great. The one weakness is that they can't show the entire field as you can watch when you're there. I made do by running Race Monitor on my phone while watching Flo on my desktop or laptop. Almost every race had one or two top runners who who set bad (for them) times; with Race Monitor, I could at least keep track of their progress, even though I couldn't see what I'm sure were some amazing runs through the pack.

But I'd like to know who were the Massachusetts fans? Someone I know?

2 members like this post: tirespinner, wildman92
7/29/19, 10:21 AM   #9
flagboy55

I have a complaint! It’s that I only got to 2 in person. Seriously Jen you’re spot on, what a wonderful week of racing and thanks to USAC and Flo for giving us the opportunity to watch the ones we couldn’t attend. The only one I didn’t watch live was Gas. Sprint car racing in Indiana sure seems to be in a good spot right now!

5 members like this post: Dirtfan, duel, mc/rider, tirespinner, wildman92
7/29/19, 11:31 AM   #10
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 16
Race Count Last Year: 85

Our highlights of ISW 32 - Number one has to be that finish at Gas City!! Cottle and Leary to the line with Shane winning!! That will stick with us for quite a while. The racing was good at Plymouth with the best thing being the shade in the big grandstand and the constant nice cool breeze passing through the stand. It was a Godsend. Sitting there with Dan and Jen behind us was a good time chatting with all. Kokomo is always good and the reaction of our friend from Iowa to the different perspective that the backstretch stands offer was worth the price of admission. Sitting with our friends from Nebraska and catching up was priceless also. Having Johnny Parsons Jr. sitting right behind you and hearing his comments was another priceless moment. Terre Haute was good with the battle between Courtney and Grant and the drives of Bacon and Thomas. Lincoln Park is our favorite track to view a race setting up the lawn chair and relaxing while watching the racing. The pure perfection of Kyle Cummin's run to the victory was fun to watch and the big fourth turn cushion always amazes us. Seeing friends from PA and all around is always an enjoyable experience. And Saturday at Haubstadt watching Kyle Cummins track down and pass Stephen Schnapf (really wanted to see him get career first win) but can't take it away from Cummins as he was once again impressive. It was a fun six days of eight following the USAC guys and the weather was hot but with no rain it was indeed very good.

Thanks to everyone at USAC and each track for providing good things for every fan's experience and thanks for the memories.

Bruce and Pat Eckel

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ISW 2019 Positive Comments & Fun Fact