IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Subaru Powered Midget
4/12/19, 1:26 PM   #11
Re: Subaru Powered Midget
ossuks

Some guy I think his last name was Black had a Subaru, maybe Jimmy Kite drove it a time or two, maybe Eric Gordon, and maybe I am so old I am just making things up in my head?

4/12/19, 1:26 PM   #12
Lemire

Because its easy to just be like everyone else but I want to be different and I want to change the game. The blood sweat and tears are worth it every time someone comes up to the car.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
4/12/19, 1:31 PM   #13
Lemire

Not sure how legal it’s going to be yet with usac. But we are racing with our local midget group BCRA and they don’t have one issue with it. But I will spend every last dollar to make it out to chili bowl this year that’s a given

2 members like this post: interpreter66, superstock30
4/12/19, 1:33 PM   #14
kinser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Some guy I think his last name was Black had a Subaru, maybe Jimmy Kite drove it a time or two, maybe Eric Gordon, and maybe I am so old I am just making things up in my head?
You are correct. Tom Hooker built the engines for it. Eric did drive it a few times.

3 members like this post: hairracer44, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
4/12/19, 2:56 PM   #15
TQ29m

Didn't Jerry Covington have a Subaru in one of his midgets, boy that was a few years back! I'm like the other guy, I don't really remember, just wish I did! Bob

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner
4/12/19, 3:07 PM   #16
badcoupe

Seems like maybe there was a Subaru entry at the rca dome races when I was very young. Kudos to the builder on this project. EFI is legal In USAC some of the Esslingers and Toyotas use it.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
4/13/19, 2:37 AM   #17
Blackduce

Dennis Miller from Galveston, In. who was a machinist at Delco. Built a Subaru engine
and ran it in a USAC midget for a few
years off and on. He really enjoyed
it and was pretty proud. I think this was
over 25 years ago.

Lynn

5 members like this post: Geoff Kaiser, Hammer, Pat O'Connor Fan, tirespinner, Tony74
4/13/19, 9:18 AM   #18
Hammer

Lynn you're correct, Denny did build one and run it. Denny passed years ago and I'm not sure what ever became of his stuff. He was very crafty and also built some cars and manufactured racecar parts.

4/13/19, 10:56 AM   #19
jdull99

HoF Legend Kevin Olson drove part of the 1990 USAC season with a Subaru for John Black (KO's book "Cages are for Monkeys" sez they had a Cosworth installed later in the season). - pg 137....I haven't read the whole book, but just looked up this part. lol
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4/13/19, 10:10 PM   #20
Beinthecircle

Chili Bowl was 3 months ago. Might be better off with next years. Don’t forget a truck, trailer, car, parts, etc. I’m not your Dad, but you’re spending every dollar you have to go out to a race that won’t cover 5% of your cost, even if you win the whole thing. I’m all about your hustle, but if someone wants 1 of your motors, they want it soon, not in 2-3-4-5 years. You’re in a big money pit right now, I hope you understand this. 1,000 cars, eh? You have a dealer’s license?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Subaru Powered Midget