IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bullet Chassis, are they still in business?
1/2/17, 1:39 AM   #1
Bullet Chassis, are they still in business?
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I was shopping around for a new "wingless" chassis kit and went to the "Bullet Chassis" website, but it hasn't been updated since 07'. I'm new to sprints so don't shoot me if I didn't get the memo. After shopping around I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Maxim "BigMax 5-bar", any thoughts? I'm gonna most likely be running GM602 or Racesaver 305...

Oh yeah, what difference will it make between running 86/40 vs. 87.5/40, how does that effect the handling?

Thanks
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 1/2/17 at 1:41 AM.

1/2/17, 11:12 AM   #2
badcoupe

Bullet chassis is Keith Kunz in Columbus if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if he stills builds chassis for anyone or not. Mostly built midget chassis for himself.

1/2/17, 11:53 AM   #3
Re: Bullet Chassis, are they still in business?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Im hearing Bullet chassis by Spike a lot now.

Don't know if it's a special line or what. But yeah I remember Bullets back into the early 2000s

1/2/17, 12:13 PM   #4
TKRacing

I'm pretty sure the only thing they still have are midgets and they are now built by Spike. I'm assuming they are only built for KKM and no one else but not sure.

1/2/17, 12:26 PM   #5
wideopen24

86" wheel base cars are typically used on smaller and tighter tracks. The most common is an 87/40. If you are planning on racing with a wing you do not want to buy a "5 Bar". Most wing cars are 87/40 raised left side rail. DRC chassis is now building wing cars and would be a great choice.

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, PIT CART, Simon_says17
1/2/17, 3:01 PM   #6
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wideopen24 View Post
86" wheel base cars are typically used on smaller and tighter tracks. The most common is an 87/40. If you are planning on racing with a wing you do not want to buy a "5 Bar". Most wing cars are 87/40 raised left side rail. DRC chassis is now building wing cars and would be a great choice.
No Wings. DRC was my first pick, they win a lot in Indiana USAC stuff from what I see on Lucas Oil TV. I like that the DRC is built similar to the Big Max. I'm not totally settled on it, even Eagle is possible. My plan is to build a new car since I'm new to sprints and wouldn't know what to look for and avoid in someones used stuff. Thanks for input.

1/2/17, 4:03 PM   #7
motorhead748

If you are a TOTAL noob I'd suggest finding someone local to crew with for a year. Buy them a tire or 2 and they'll likely appreciate the help.
In the not too long run you'll be way ahead of the game and fairly well along the way of a steep learning curve....all on someone else's dime.

1/2/17, 6:14 PM   #8
wallbanger II

very good advise

1/2/17, 8:14 PM   #9
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
No Wings. DRC was my first pick, they win a lot in Indiana USAC stuff from what I see on Lucas Oil TV. I like that the DRC is built similar to the Big Max. I'm not totally settled on it, even Eagle is possible. My plan is to build a new car since I'm new to sprints and wouldn't know what to look for and avoid in someones used stuff. Thanks for input.
I may be mistaken, but aren't most groups running Crate & Racesaver rules winged?
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: PJ Wright, wideopen24
1/2/17, 9:08 PM   #10
treecitytornado

A Maxim 87/40 1" Raised Rail would be perfect for you! Plenty around, easy to get parts, and they work great with and without the Wing, without a sway bar. Call Bernie at Indy Race Parts and he may have a good used one or can get you a new one too!
317-244-9437.

1 member likes this post: Simon_says17
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bullet Chassis, are they still in business?