IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big max chassis questions
12/11/16, 2:35 PM   #1
Big max chassis questions
dwbmotorsports

What are the pros and cons of running a big max as compared to a standard maxim chassis ? Thinking of doing some racesaver stuff and leaning toward running a big max. And also is there anymore cockpit room in a big max? I'm a bigger guy and all info is appreciated.

12/11/16, 8:13 PM   #2
Baylands

As an owner currently having both, we ran USAC this year with a 2015 Big Max and 410/360 wing with a standard 2014 Maxim. We like the larger body panel look of the Big Max without the wing. We don't feel there is any performance advantage to using one over the other. The Big Max is not a 5 bar and we would swap any of our chassis to run with or without a wing if we bent one. It does give us a warm fuzzy feeling of slightly more protection for a direct hit at the rear of the cage with the Big Max, but no data or experience to back it up after many years of running them.

12/11/16, 8:19 PM   #3
Baylands

Did not answer the question about the cockpit room. No difference. Look for, or order, either chassis as a Big Boy option, and you will have at the very least the A frame moved back and the 2" taller cage. We also like the wide hip bars, same as KKR uses. Slightly more $$ new. A nice Maxim roller either configuration would be great. My choice would also be no bigger than a 87/40 for a Racesaver, but they all win on occasion.

12/11/16, 8:48 PM   #4
Re: Big max chassis questions
dwbmotorsports

Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to do my homework before I get started.

12/15/16, 2:02 AM   #5
fasster23

I'm 6'3" and have a standard Maxim with the big boy option as he mentioned. The A-frame is moved back to the lateral bar in front of the tank which gives me adequate leg room and it has a 2" taller (overall) cage height. I believe the newer cars come standard with 2" taller height built into the rear only. Some calll them wedge cars cause of the bigger rake in the halo. Call Tom McGary out of Alma MO. He's built several chassis including some for the late Jesse Hockett. The way I understand it he originated the idea of the Big Max design when he built one for Jesse they named Frankenstein. It was an exaggerated version of what you see today. Several guys around here run his cars with success including Casey Shuman when he raced with WAR

12/19/16, 11:24 PM   #6
dwbmotorsports

Thanks for the info. I know where there is an 06 big max standard cage car that I can get for a good price. I'm 6'2" and I'm going to have to move the a-frame back if I decide to do this. Once again thanks for the info and I decide to build a new car instead of starting with a used car I will give that guy a call. Thanks

12/22/16, 10:59 AM   #7
wallbanger II

check the classifieds

12/22/16, 5:14 PM   #8
KG71

We run a big max in racesaver down here in Texas. I have a 16 year old and he had quite a few podiums and some wins this year in it. As others have said it is not a big boy car so you will need to move the a frame if you are talller.

Talk to Dan at maxim and he will guide you in what to do. He does recommend the big max for 305 classes (360 classes too).

Get the serial number of the car you are looking at and he can tell you how it was built (size, big max, safety bars, etc.).

Kel

2 members like this post: PIT CART, younggun398
12/22/16, 7:42 PM   #9
sprinter31

I agree with everything that KG71 said. Dan told me the dame thing about the big max being a great iron block car.

12/22/16, 11:06 PM   #10
dwbmotorsports

Thanks I will do that.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Big max chassis questions