IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Entries expected to exceed 30-car starting field
8/4/14, 5:30 PM   #1
Usac: Entries expected to exceed 30-car starting field
admin

8/4/14 4:24 PM ENTRIES EXPECTED TO EXCEED 30-CAR STARTING FIELD

http://usacracing.com/news/silver-cr...starting-field

ENTRIES EXPECTED TO EXCEED 30-CAR STARTING FIELD

FOR “TONY BETTENHAUSEN 100” AUGUST 16 AT SPRINGFIELD;

SWANSON TAKES BELLEVILLE’S “HUSTLE ON THE HIGH BANKS”

Kody Swanson of Kingsburg, Calif. enters the August 16 “Tony Bettenhausen 100” at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield with a 45-point lead over Tracy Hines in the UAC Silver Crown Championship series following his third victory of the season, last Friday at Belleville, Kansas.

Swanson will lead a field of cars expected to eclipse the 30-car starting field. It could mark the largest Silver Crown field on dirt since the 2011 Hoosier Hundred in Indianapolis, Ind.

Friday’s “Hustle on the High Banks” 50-lapper at the Belleville High Banks saw Swanson catch Chris Windom on lap 45 and he led the final six laps around the half-mile oval in the Radio Hospital Maxim/Hampshire. Windom led the first 45 laps but encountered problems and was relegated to a ninth-place finish.

Tracy Hines, the 2013 Belleville winner, finished second ahead of Christopher Bell, Bobby East and Dave Darland. Swanson was the fastest qualifier and the win was his third of the campaign.

At Springfield, Swanson will try to improve on his seventh-place finish a year ago. Windom finished second last year at Springfield behind Illinois’ A.J. Fike.

8/4/14, 10:05 PM   #2
Re: Usac: Entries expected to exceed 30-car starting field
Jonr

OK, I will play along. How is it that the Silver Crown Cars have 14 at Belleville, but we are expecting 30+ at Springfield????

8/4/14, 11:09 PM   #3
hoosierhillbilly

I guess i would look at the indy field of 26 cars as the starting point.

8/5/14, 11:28 AM   #4
sprntr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
OK, I will play along. How is it that the Silver Crown Cars have 14 at Belleville, but we are expecting 30+ at Springfield????

Indy (near where most of the teams are located) to Springfield - 212 miles - 3.25 hrs.
Indy to Belleville - 656 miles - 9.75 hrs.

Belleville - Friday race - at least 2 days of work missed.
Springfield - drive down Friday night after work, race Saturday, drive home Sunday. No lost work time.

Besides the Miles always draw better.

steiny

8/5/14, 1:29 PM   #5
miledirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntr View Post
Indy (near where most of the teams are located) to Springfield - 212 miles - 3.25 hrs.
Indy to Belleville - 656 miles - 9.75 hrs.

Belleville - Friday race - at least 2 days of work missed.
Springfield - drive down Friday night after work, race Saturday, drive home Sunday. No lost work time.

Besides the Miles always draw better.

steiny
True, even back when Springfield and DuQuoin were drawing car counts in the 40's, those races that were much farther away from Indy would get counts only in the 20's

8/5/14, 5:33 PM   #6
Jonr

OK. I will continue to play along. So, the silver crown cars are a regional series not a national series? If it is more than 3 hours from Indy, they can't put on a race?

SC fans cannot have it both ways. I see posts all the time about expanding the schedule and taking the cars to new venues. How majestic the cars are and how we need to get the cars to new fans. However, when a new venue does not work out they claim it is too far away, or people could not get there for a Friday night race.

Belleville is a destination track and that weekend is a dentation weekend. The stands on Saturday night were packed and it looked like a ton of campers had been there for a while. If you can not get the SC cars to work on that track on that weekend, you will never be able to expand the schedule.

BTW I had to make a decision on my travels. I decided that I could afford three nights in a hotel. Night one was spent for the Saturday night of the Midget nationals. Night two and three will be spend at the Knoxville Nationals. Going to the SC races were never even on my radar, even though I was going to be in town the next night.

8/5/14, 6:09 PM   #7
SpfldMile

If the sprint cars would have had a one night event on a Friday at Belleville, how many teams from Indiana make the tow? 12-15, maybe. The champ cars are unique, and can't draw local field fillers. You're correct, it is pretty much a regional series. Once it gets healthier in the region, then it can expand. You may not like them, but that won't stop me from loving them.

4 members like this post: 2fast4u, interpreter66, maurertrucks0, Steve Wendel
8/5/14, 8:48 PM   #8
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
OK. I will continue to play along. So, the silver crown cars are a regional series not a national series? If it is more than 3 hours from Indy, they can't put on a race?

SC fans cannot have it both ways. I see posts all the time about expanding the schedule and taking the cars to new venues. How majestic the cars are and how we need to get the cars to new fans. However, when a new venue does not work out they claim it is too far away, or people could not get there for a Friday night race.

Belleville is a destination track and that weekend is a dentation weekend. The stands on Saturday night were packed and it looked like a ton of campers had been there for a while. If you can not get the SC cars to work on that track on that weekend, you will never be able to expand the schedule.

BTW I had to make a decision on my travels. I decided that I could afford three nights in a hotel. Night one was spent for the Saturday night of the Midget nationals. Night two and three will be spend at the Knoxville Nationals. Going to the SC races were never even on my radar, even though I was going to be in town the next night.
What does it matter to you? You aren't going anyway. Since you don't care, why ***** about it.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5 members like this post: dickster, dirt330, fish, progressive22, sprntr
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Entries expected to exceed 30-car starting field