IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Update
7/26/14, 9:31 PM   #11
Re: Gas City Update
Jerry Spencer

Jerry
Last edited by Jerry Spencer; 7/27/14 at 11:03 AM.

7/26/14, 10:43 PM   #12
Tim Watson

Only 19 cars?

7/26/14, 11:38 PM   #13
PIT CART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
Only 19 cars?
20 at Bloomington,and tonight was not any better for car counts. 22 at Lps, 20 at the burg and Paragon rained out.
Last edited by PIT CART; 7/26/14 at 11:41 PM.

7/27/14, 8:57 PM   #14
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
20 at Bloomington,and tonight was not any better for car counts. 22 at Lps, 20 at the burg and Paragon rained out.
Boy, that's to bad.

7/27/14, 9:05 PM   #15
on_the_edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
Boy, that's to bad.
The after sprint week demise... Happens every year and one that I know for sure has closed up shop and selling out.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
7/27/14, 10:01 PM   #16
TheGhostOfOpperman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
I would think that running a race track (and I don't) would be like racing a race car. If I ain't reving my engine enough I drop the gear ratio (ticket price) and tell my driver to perk him up a little (advertise to the crowd) with a little more hype in the good old IOW.
So your solution to help Gas City stay open is to cut revenue (ticket price) and increase expenses (advertising)? I hope no one counts on you to keep a business open.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Dblchkrs, fish
7/28/14, 9:13 AM   #17
DAD

If a business has a good product and Gas City does, and finds itself with a lack of customers and it does, many times in hard economic times the business may cut the selling price of the product and hope to generate more customers in the process while also intending to make up some of the revenue lost through other forms of revenue sources such as concessions and souvenir sales. It appears many tracks are now doing just that.

An old business saying goes "You advertise in good time and in bad times you advertise more" People have to be aware of your services even more in bad times because the pool of customers shrinks and they need to cultivate new ones.

I have been doing it this way for the last 45 years or so and it always seems to works for me. The slogan I use in my advertising is and has been "NO MUFF TOO TUFF". I borrowed that one from an old guy that had a muffler shop up in Indy, I think he used to race in the 500 up their.

From your last post I would assume that you have no idea about Jan, you don't own a race car and you definitely don't own a business. I would also assume that you also "get off" by stirring the old "SH1t Pot". Why don't you try a "Positive Response" just ever so often, definitely not always?? Who knows you might just like that even more, "You never Know">

You remind me of an old now defunct poster on IOW named Marvelous something who's claim to fame was being on the Howard Sterne show.

ENJOY

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 7/28/14 at 10:49 AM.

7/28/14, 4:26 PM   #18
BrentTFunk

Quote:
If a business has a good product and Gas City does, and finds itself with a lack of customers and it does, many times in hard economic times the business may cut the selling price of the product and hope to generate more customers in the process while also intending to make up some of the revenue lost through other forms of revenue sources such as concessions and souvenir sales. It appears many tracks are now doing just that.

An old business saying goes "You advertise in good time and in bad times you advertise more" People have to be aware of your services even more in bad times because the pool of customers shrinks and they need to cultivate new ones.

I have been doing it this way for the last 45 years or so and it always seems to works for me. The slogan I use in my advertising is and has been "NO MUFF TOO TUFF". I borrowed that one from an old guy that had a muffler shop up in Indy, I think he used to race in the 500 up their.

From your last post I would assume that you have no idea about Jan, you don't own a race car and you definitely don't own a business. I would also assume that you also "get off" by stirring the old "SH1t Pot". Why don't you try a "Positive Response" just ever so often, definitely not always?? Who knows you might just like that even more, "You never Know">

You remind me of an old now defunct poster on IOW named Marvelous something who's claim to fame was being on the Howard Sterne show.

ENJOY

Honest Dad himself
Our you could go and support them

7/28/14, 7:21 PM   #19
Tumey's 55

Quote:

ENJOY

Honest Dad himself
I understand the sentiment but the facts are that for an average business, whatever that is, a 5% price cut must result in nearly a 20% increase in sales just to stay even. Price cuts rarely have this kind of impact on sales. Obviously more butts in the seats should result in more concession revenue. However, the admission price Gas City charges is in line with other tracks and seems like a good value in entertainment. A price cut does not seem like the answer. If sprint fans will vote with their wallet and attend more often then this issue will take care of itself.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
7/28/14, 8:20 PM   #20
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Against my better judgement I am going to put my two cents worth in. First of all the original thread was hijacked and turned into something completely different than the heading implies. That happens quite often here on the IOW board. Wouldn't it be refreshing to not have this happen at all. When pigs fly I guess.

Secondly, this issue of attendance or lack of and low car counts happens around this time every year here in Indiana. This isn't just an issue at Gas City but other tracks are seeing it as well. The economy right now still has people hurting for disposable income and racing isn't the top priority for so many folks today. Putting food on the table seems to out rank taking the family out to the local bullring. Outside of a few shows including sprint week, I haven't been to a track this season that has had what I would call a great crowd on a regular basis.

As far as car count goes, I remember early in the season some grumbling about low car counts. It is what it is. All the complaining and armchair promoting won't make this problem go away. However, I have the solution. Starting on Friday night, push the chair back and turn off the computer. Get in your vehicle and drive to a short track here in Indiana and buy a ticket. Better yet, ask a neighbor, the kid next door, a co-worker or even the guy down the block that you don't particularly care for to join you. You might just make a race friend for life. When you arrive at the track, stop in at the concession stand and pick up a drink and a sandwich and maybe even a bag of popcorn. If you so happen to see one of the 50/50 ticket sellers you might even buy a ticket for a chance to leave with more money than you came with.

I know that you will be taking a chance that the bleachers won't be as comfortable as your computer chair at home, the dust might just be a little more at the track than at your house, and you might just be out later than 9:00 PM. Go ahead, what do you have to lose? Be careful, it can become contagious though and you might get hooked.

I can almost assure you that every promoter of a short track here in the USA are hoping that this will happen this weekend. They ALL need more butts in the seats.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gas City Update