IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Baer Field News
7/3/14, 12:08 PM   #1
Baer Field News
Tony74

Hate to hear this, makes sense why the USSA race was cancelled.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pb...TS%2F140709893

7/4/14, 6:32 AM   #2
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=%2F20140702%2FSPORTS%2F140709893

"I don't want to go through this any more,'' Raney said. "The main problem is the decline of attendance for the grandstands and a lot of that is due to the racers tearing down the place on social media. I build up the facilities, and the racers don't reciprocate it to me. It's just a negative weight for me.''

Raney said social media attacks have poisoned the atmosphere among the racing community. Program director Bob Koorsen said no amount of advertising can make up for a negative post to a racer's 500 friends who are the target audience.

I don't know anything about the situation at this track but I think this promoter is not alone!!! It's really sad to see something that could be so helpful be so destructive.

Thanks for sharing the link.

7/4/14, 6:42 AM   #3
griffithracing

Social media seems to do more harm than good lately....

5 members like this post: cwfan08, fish, Mud Packer, speed bump, Stevensville Mike
7/4/14, 6:50 AM   #4
Re: Baer Field News
racer-x

I remember racing a 2 day event at Baer Field and Angola on the weekend that hurricane Katrina hit. The price of gas went through the ceiling and I came home after that weekend and sold all my racing stuff and RV because the price of gas alone would raise the price of EVERYTHING!! Remember the media chirping about how high the price of gas was then($2.50)! Do you still hear them talking about it at $4.00 (not a peep)? I hate ta tell you UNINFORMED AMERICANS but the world is CHANGING!

Good job Jon Rainy for at least trying to make something out of a track that needed a new facelift. I think he just got tired of beating his head against a wall!

1 member likes this post: fish
7/4/14, 10:59 AM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithracing View Post
I find it hard to believe that so many people rely on social media. Firsts, it has taken a lot of productivity out of the American work place. Second, it has also robbed quality family time together, as how many times do you see adults and kids sitting there texting, tweeting and God only knows what else instead of TALKING. If this is the direction that America is taking, we all are in for a rude awakening.

I wonder now what all the idiots who were running the promoter and track down will do now that it is closed. Move on to the next track to see if they can close it also?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, cwfan08, dirt330, Stevensville Mike
7/4/14, 11:47 AM   #6
PJ Wright

Sad. Not just the aspect of another track closing, but the fact that so many people behave like total jerks. The article stated that some guy threatened to kill him when told he had to put on a shirt. Unreal. I read in Area Auto Racing that the owner of Bradford, PA speedway decided to close it down when the wife and mother of one of the racers verbally abused him....in church!!!
It's not just race "fans" and it's not just social media, it's "humanity" in general. IMO, Civility and respect are declining at a rapid pace and it's very sad. I have strong feelings as to the cause of this 'de-evolution', (it's USAC's fault!JK of course) but I'm sure everyone else does too.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.
Last edited by PJ Wright; 7/4/14 at 11:50 AM. Reason: clarification

5 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Crankin, fish, Koonzee, Mud Packer
7/4/14, 3:39 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithracing View Post
I agree 100%. It is quite easy to confront someone about an issue you might have a problem with when you do not have to look them in the eye. Social media allows this. Forums, too, for that matter. However, standing firm in front of someone and letting them know you think they are wrong, and you are digging in, still takes guts, and if done correctly, class. It is a different issue altogether when you are eye-to-eye and toe-to-toe.

As for promoters, track owners, and series directors, the issues brought up via social media are not going to go away. One has to realize that you are open to criticism 24/7 now and said criticism will be voiced. It isn't like one guy disagrees with the track owner, argues with him post race in front of three fans, and that is that. Now, the "social media" argument is one sided and open to hundreds to read about. Hence, pile on time.

A changing world we have always lived in. It will continue to change.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Baer Field News