IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's too young?
12/7/16, 3:36 AM   #21
Re: What's too young?
chase2raudman

Race Count This Year: 5

I think the perfect example of this whole ordeal is Michael Kofoid. The kid starting running sprint cars at 13 (possibly even practicing at 12). This year he turned 15 and won a handful of Civil War and 360 sprint car races and if I'm not mistaken he won a King of the West 410 show as well. The kid is an absolute shoe and doesn't tear anything up.

1 member likes this post: mowerman
12/7/16, 12:05 PM   #22
LJC77

I still can't believe kids are allowed to race anything with more than 2 cylinders.
I even have a hard time supporting the argument of them getting injured due to the fact they can be seriously injured falling off a bike or playing in the back yard.

I understand some may be talented and may have better hand/eye coordination or faster reaction time than an adult.
What they do not have is the understanding of the value of a dollar.
They have no idea what it means to work 80 hours a week so they can go race on the weekend.
If they destroy the equipment someone is handing them another ride to race again.

My opinion, until they are old enough to vote, defend our country, or get thier a$$ kicked, no kid should ever be strapping into any race car. I don't care how much "experience" they have.

8 members like this post: captrat, EZ04, kcarm92, racer-x, racer5c, sprintracer82, TQ29m, trannyman
12/7/16, 9:46 PM   #23
Re: What's too young?
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC77 View Post
I still can't believe kids are allowed to race anything with more than 2 cylinders.
I even have a hard time supporting the argument of them getting injured due to the fact they can be seriously injured falling off a bike or playing in the back yard.

I understand some may be talented and may have better hand/eye coordination or faster reaction time than an adult.
What they do not have is the understanding of the value of a dollar.
They have no idea what it means to work 80 hours a week so they can go race on the weekend.
If they destroy the equipment someone is handing them another ride to race again.

My opinion, until they are old enough to vote, defend our country, or get thier a$$ kicked, no kid should ever be strapping into any race car. I don't care how much "experience" they have.
I've seen that several times with a few kids that want to go blasting into turn 1 and take 1-2 people out and guess what they should get the crap beat out of them but if someone would they would go to jail because its a kid.

12/8/16, 2:52 PM   #24
Blacki-Suede

When I was the promotor at the Burg, a long time ago, K & K Insurance had a rule that to race you had to be at least 16 years old with a valid drivers license. Danny Smith ran the 'Burg in 1974 as a sixteen year old. Won his first feature the following year at 17- beat Dick Gaines.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
12/8/16, 3:01 PM   #25
EDEMOTORSPORTS

It all depends on how the family is approaching it. If they have the attitude of just going out there & make laps and have a teaching approach then I feel it's fine. Now if they want to push the kid to be the next Jeff Gordon and have high standards with results then I feel they will have issues.

1 member likes this post: Mattmac05
12/8/16, 10:57 PM   #26
KMS2683

I dont care if your kid is the next best thing, I do not think you should be in a sprint car or any full size car till at least 16. I see it at all levels though. At our micro tracks there are 11 year olds running the open wing and non wing classes. Rules state 14. We have an asphalt track that created a jr late model division for 10-15 year olds. Full size late models.

12/8/16, 11:13 PM   #27
Scott Daloisio

We have a Young Gun Sprint Car class at Perris Auto Speedway. Drivers 14-25 with no prior sprint car experience. 360's and restricted 410's. Four seasons now and no issues. Has/is producing some great drivers. First ever Champ four years ago was Rip Williams youngest son. This year he finished top 10 in USAC/CRA points. Young Gun champion this year was 15-year-old Courtney Crone. She was also Western States Midget Rookie of the Year.

3 members like this post: davidm, fish, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's too young?