IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's too young?
12/6/16, 11:28 AM   #11
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
How old was Jeff Gordon when he was racing sprints?
I've credited Jeff Gordon with the rise in kids racing. He did it and made it to the big time, so there are some parents who think their kid is next.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART
12/6/16, 11:31 AM   #12
motorhead748

If you can't legally drive to the race track you are too young 99% of the time.

12/6/16, 3:15 PM   #13
Re: What's too young?
T-Mez4life

http://autoweek.com/article/other-mo...int-car-age-11

http://clemracinginc.com/events.html

12/6/16, 5:06 PM   #14
chop

Berlin had a 13 year old win a outlaw late model race this year. They made a big deal out of it. The track is a NASCAR short track. NASCAR found out and made him stop racing till he gets older.

3 members like this post: jdull99, Leohr46, treecitytornado
12/6/16, 5:26 PM   #15
dirtracer74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
Berlin had a 13 year old win a outlaw late model race this year. They made a big deal out of it. The track is a NASCAR short track. NASCAR found out and made him stop racing till he gets older.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Berlin dropped their NASCAR sanction over that deal.

What I find kind of comical, the owner of SOD use to brag about how they turned away Jeff Gordon because he was too young. Always talked about how strict they were on the rules. Now he is welcoming a 13 year old with open arms, lol.

However, a lot of kids at 16 years old now have 8 to 10 years of racing experience. I still think that 14 is the correct time to take a look. If they have the credentials, let them run a few races at select tracks to prove themselves. Chase Ridenour won a 410 race at age 14 (in a 360). But, there was only a couple tracks he could race at. Ran SOD full time at age 15, but still had to skip a few tracks until he was 16. At 17, he won a 410 race, and 4 360 races in a row and won the GLSS championship.

SOD may let him run, but I will be shocked if the All Stars let him. WoO simply will not. Hell, All Stars and WoO have enough hoops for a 17 year old to race, let alone under 16.
Last edited by dirtracer74; 12/6/16 at 5:30 PM.

12/6/16, 7:04 PM   #16
Backitin

I actually have a bit of experience here.
A few years back I had a 12 year old girl race my 500 cc speedwaybike. It wasn't easy as I had to petition the A.M.A., supply them with paperwork showing that both track owner and parents thought she was ready. I was able to grant her permission to ride and I was called everything in the book including someone whom might be committing child abuse. It was all quite crazy and I knew she'd ride better on my new smooth powerful bike compared to the underpowered 250cc clunker she was riding. Speedway in one aspect is exactly like a sprintcar, you better have the power to maintain your slide or your in trouble. Anyhow in her very first heat race she spun out while leading on the opening lap due to a muddy track and took the front wheel of the bike behind her right in the ribs. While they were kicking the bike straight I worked on getting the breath back in her which she had knocked out.
On the restart two minutes later she out gated everyone and ran away. She did it 3 more times that night and won her main event going away. She went on to be a great racer eventually winning the D-2 open nationals which is pretty hard. Her name is Kaitlin Davis, she is one of the toughest people I ever met and I knew that when she was 12. To this date she is the youngest person to win on a 500cc machine as far as I know anywhere in the world. A speedwaybike is most likely one of the biggest handfuls in all of racing, If a 12 year old girl can be smooth and safe on one so can a 12 year old in a sprintcar. That being said,
I say 15 years old, lol.

12/6/16, 9:23 PM   #17
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
How old was ARCA Champ Chase Briscoe?
Chase is in his 20s. I think 22?

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
12/6/16, 10:42 PM   #18
jdull99

16 for anything other than a "premier" class...18 for "REAL" racecars (on the short-track)...21 for "TV series" (NA$KAR's top series & IRL); would be my votes...lol
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 12/6/16 at 10:44 PM.

12/6/16, 10:43 PM   #19
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Chase is in his 20s. I think 22?
Sorry to confuse but I believe he was 13 when he won his first sprint car race breaking Jeff Gordon's youngest driver to win a sprint car feature record.

12/7/16, 1:29 AM   #20
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
How old was ARCA Champ Chase Briscoe?
I think Chase is all of 20

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What's too young?