IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
dansprint (Offline)
  #1 5/11/11 10:38 PM
Hey all,

Here in Australia someone has redesigned a wingless sprintcar chassis to be more like a dune offroad buggy front setup.

I have no idea who made it or how it handles, just found the photos from a recent practice day at Nowra Speedway in New South Wales, Australia.

What are your thoughts?
3 Likes: Dannypollock24, dirtnonwingfan, Isaac Chapple Racing
mscs20 (Offline)
  #2 5/11/11 11:06 PM
It has a straight front axle like any other non wing sprint, so it isn't as much like a dune buggy/independent front suspension as it first appears. It is a radical frame design though.....doesn't look very string in the front. Always good to see someone variation.
racephoto1 (Offline)
  #3 5/11/11 11:17 PM
Similar to a lot of coil over cars, but I wouldn't bang wheels with it. Remind me a lot of a Bondio midget.
c47 (Offline)
  #4 5/11/11 11:19 PM
EAGLE stickie on the hood scoop.....hmmmmmmmm.
dansprint (Offline)
  #5 5/11/11 11:20 PM
Your right regarding the front beam, all appears as normal sprintcar parts.

They will also have to think about adding a crash-bar onto the front to try and protect the frontend somehow!

One knock in the front could damage a lot of stuff!
buck2 (Offline)
  #6 5/11/11 11:27 PM
That car was built by Jerry Russell at Eagle for Doug Day about 4 years ago. It was Day's design. Sold to someone in Australia last summer. Originally built as a wing car. Saw action as a pavement car in USCS.
dansprint (Offline)
  #7 5/12/11 1:15 AM
Thanks for the details buck2!

There you go, built in the US, old news!
LocalYokel (Offline)
  #8 5/12/11 1:44 AM
The front axle is within the frame so it looks fairly well protected. The front end doesn't look to be supported very well where the shocks are attached to to the frame. The front end must have a ton of flex..
Posted via Mobile Device
backitin
  #9 5/12/11 8:00 AM
The nose piece reminds me of Jimmy Durant, ugly. Give me a good ole 4bar anyday
Cincinnati Kid (Offline)
  #10 5/12/11 9:29 AM
A little off topic, but is that car running a 6 cylinder?