IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Real Jewel
7/20/16, 11:35 PM   #1
A Real Jewel

I don’t post on here much anymore, for a variety of reasons, but I had to tell my story tonight.

I’ve wrote on here a couple of times about supporting racing. Not just non- winged sprint car racing but all racing. I’ve said sometimes you see a stinker, but sometimes you catch a real jewel.

I travel a bit for work and this week I am in Iowa, specifically in Mason City, Iowa. The fair was in town (no, my job is not running the Tilt-O-Whirl or dipping the corn dogs). There is a race track at the fairgrounds and they were having a special Wednesday night show. They were racing Modifieds, Hobby Stocks and front wheel drive cars. Not a show I would normally go to, but the beer was cold and I figured it was better than just sitting in the hotel room.

The track looked to be a small half mile. The surface was black dirt that reminded me of Knoxville. The place was clean and looked to be well maintained.

The races were not only good, they were fantastic! They had 7 heat races (two modified, two hobby stock, three FWD) and three features. Yes, the modifieds put on the best show. But the other classes did a good job also. The FWD cars were a bit slow on the half mile, but still were entertaining.

So once again, I encourage everyone to get outside their comfort zone. Dirt, pavement, winged, non-winged and yes, even stock cars. Instead of sitting at home, banging away at your keyboard, go to a race, any race. Yes, you might see a stinker, but sometimes you just might see a jewel.

Oh, and by the way, they started promptly at 7:00 and I was back in my hotel room by nine.

Tom Paterson

7/21/16, 7:41 AM   #2
Re: A Real Jewel
Backitin

You have a great attitude towards racing. I wish my outlook was the same. Personally If I don't like the vehicle being raced I could care less about the racing even if you could throw a blanket over the top four or five guys.
I agree get out of your comfort zone and check out everything. Just don't feel you have anything to apologize for because you hate most all of it.

7/21/16, 8:40 AM   #3
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Yep I agree, We ended up going to Anderson Speedway for the 4th of July figure 8 races. While the car count wasn't the greatest the racing was pretty good and entertaining. The only reason we went was because they were having Figure 8 trailer races and fireworks. Didn't really go for the other classes but it turned out to be a very entertaining night.

1 member likes this post: superstock30
7/21/16, 9:26 AM   #4
ByronMack

One of the best times I ever had at a track was when I was driving a truck, I got to a steel mill in Butler, PA a day early and had to wait until the next day to deliver. I walked over to the grocery store to get something to eat and there was Carl Kinsers hauler. Being from oolitic, I went over to talk to him and found out they were running a outlaw show that night. Ended up being about the only time I didn't mind having to wait to deliver a load lol.

2 members like this post: koolaid89, tirespinner
7/21/16, 10:47 AM   #5
Stevensville Mike

Nice post, Tom. You know if you go to Butler Speedway every Saturday they usually get you back to your motel room by nine, also.

Ohhhh......! You meant 9:00 P.M.! My bad!

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, koolaid89, tirespinner
7/21/16, 11:12 AM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronMack View Post
One of the best times I ever had at a track was when I was driving a truck, I got to a steel mill in Butler, PA a day early and had to wait until the next day to deliver. I walked over to the grocery store to get something to eat and there was Carl Kinsers hauler. Being from oolitic, I went over to talk to him and found out they were running a outlaw show that night. Ended up being about the only time I didn't mind having to wait to deliver a load lol.
Sounds like you went to Lernerville Speedway.

1 member likes this post: koolaid89
7/22/16, 1:58 AM   #7
ByronMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Sounds like you went to Lernerville Speedway.
Yes, it was lernerville, I ended up dropping my trailer at the steel mill and bobtailing to the track.

2 members like this post: davidm, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Real Jewel