IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question for the old timers!
9/2/14, 10:25 PM   #1
Question for the old timers!
badcoupe

Anyone remember a track at or near Richmond Indiana? I've been told there was one that ran midgets back in the 50-60's. Just curious if anyone on here had ever been there or knew where it was approx. Thanks!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/2/14, 11:39 PM   #2
awc#2

It was located on the west side of Richmond, behind where the Elrodeo is now, I was about 7 or 8yrs old and remember Gene Force racing and I was only there a few times and only midgets once, my family just moved to Richmond at that time

2 members like this post: tirespinner, WinglessLovers
9/3/14, 7:00 AM   #3
Re: Question for the old timers!
spade

I haven't been to Richmond for several years but as a youngster I vividly recall going to "Midget Stadium" I believe it was called. 1/5th mile asphalt and pretty flat. They ran every Friday night with "stock cars" powder puff and absolute street stocks that came off the street with hub cabs still intact. One car at a time and the fastest time won something and lost the hub caps! Midgets ( I think Tom Cherry Series) ran there for special shows. I worked on my Uncles farm for $.50 a day and saved every cent to go To the races on Friday night. Briar Johnson, Jack Farris, Arnold and Levi Dunaway are some names I recall from that era. Track was just West of the Highway Drive-in Theater on US 40 (main street). Quite an experience for a 10-14 YO.

9/3/14, 12:26 PM   #4
badcoupe

Thanks guys!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/10/19, 12:00 AM   #5
Dunawayfast

Arnold and levi dunaway were my uncles...
Thier baby brother Ferrell dunaway and my dad Bobby dunaway also raced there

2/10/19, 12:21 AM   #6
Circletracker

My Dad owned midgets in the 40's after the war, we went there often. In the 50's Dad had stock cars, he ran there every Friday, Bobby Beeson drove for him. I still have a trophy for a mid season championship race Bobby won.

2/10/19, 12:53 PM   #7
bart

Here is an image of the cover of a program from Richmond in 1950. I've got hundreds of programs and collectibles I'm sorting through and about to have for sale if anyone is interested in this program.

Bart

5 members like this post: mc/rider, RockinRy, superstock30, TNRustler, Tony74
2/10/19, 1:23 PM   #8
Josh Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Here is an image of the cover of a program from Richmond in 1950. I've got hundreds of programs and collectibles I'm sorting through and about to have for sale if anyone is interested in this program.

Bart
I’m interested! Call/text at 765-438-6293

Thanks, Josh Spencer

2/10/19, 2:05 PM   #9
pepprdig

This was on a local site on facebook
Attached Images
0F54EFA7-F15F-40EC-A48F-8F816BC6ADA6.jpg (231.9 KB, 130 views)

4 members like this post: fish, RockinRy, SPD 37, TNRustler
2/10/19, 2:28 PM   #10
badcoupe

Awesome stuff. I wish I knew where at along 40 it was. Doesn’t look to be any trace of it left on google maps. Richmond is just a short distance away from me. Union county route 44 speedway is 3 miles rom my shop as well

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Question for the old timers!