IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Hangtown 100 format revealed
10/18/19, 4:30 PM   #1
Usac: Hangtown 100 format revealed
admin

10/18/19 4:08 PM HANGTOWN 100 FORMAT REVEALED

More...

HANGTOWN 100 FORMAT REVEALED

Placerville, California (October 18, 2019)………The format for the richest two-day Midget race in USAC history on November 19-20, 2019, at California’s Placerville Speedway has been announced.

The inaugural Elk Grove Ford Hangtown 100 will feature a format emphasizing passing using a modified Trophy Cup format which will use a pill draw and a “draft,” allowing drivers to choose their own starting sports for the heat races.* Drivers will group qualify based on where they will line up in their heat race.

Night One: Tuesday, November 19

Pill draw to determine order of heat race selection.

Heat race placement selection (driver picks which heat to participate in and the order to qualify).

Qualifying: All cars qualify – 6 groups determined by heat race. Cars will qualify in the order picked by drivers. 36 points will be given for fast time in each group, and minus three points per position thereafter.

Six 10 lap Heat Races:* Top 8 cars inverted in heats by qualifying points/time. 36 points will be given for first place, and minus 3 points per position thereafter. Three cars - first place (regardless of point total), and the two highest in total points in each heat - transfer to Night One A-Main. All others to Night One Last Chance Qualifiers.

Three 12 lap Last Chance Qualifiers: Total points from qualifying and heat race finishes will be used to line up LCQ’s. Lineups will be straight up based on points. The top 3 in total points will start on the pole in each respective LCQ. The next 3 in total points will start outside pole in each respective LCQ, and so on. The top 2 from each LCQ will transfer to the Night One A-Main, but will not earn LCQ points. 50 points awarded for 3rd place minus 2 points for each position thereafter.

A-Main: 30 Laps, 24 Cars - 1st place and 2 highest in points from heat races plus 2 transfers from each LCQ. All cars, including LCQ transfers, will use total points to determine A-Main lineup. Top 12 in total points will line up inverted. The lowest 12 in total points will be lined straight up behind the 12 inverted cars. 100 points awarded to A-Main first place and minus 2 points per position thereafter.

Night Two: Wednesday, November 20

No Qualifying. Lineups based on total points from night one.

Six 10 lap Heat Races: Top 8 cars inverted in heats by total points from night one. 36 points will be given for first place, and minus 3 points per position thereafter.

Total points will then be tallied to line up D, C, B, and A-Mains. Top 20 in points go to A-Main, positions 21-36 in points go to B-Main, positions 37-52 in points go to C-Main, and all others to D-Main.

D-Main: 10 Laps. Top 2 transfer to tail of C-Main. No points awarded.

C-Main: 15 Laps, 20 Cars. Top 4 transfer to tail of B-Main. No points awarded.

B-Main: 20 Laps, 20 Cars. Top 4 transfer to tail of A-Main. No points awarded.

A-Main: 100 Laps, 24 Cars. Top 12 inverted by points, followed by next 8 in points lined straight up, followed by B-Main transfers 1-4. 150 points awarded for first place and minus 3 points per position thereafter.

The driver with the most total points after the Night Two A-Main will be the overall point champion.

Ties in overall points will revert to qualifying times.

Promoter reserves the right to add provisionals to the Night Two A-Main.

Mandatory fuel stop between laps 40-50 in Night Two A-Main.

The Elk Grove Ford Hangtown 100 marks the first ever appearance by the NOS Energy Drink USAC National Midgets at Placerville, which will pay a whopping purse well over in excess of $100,000 when the series arrives at the quarter-mile dirt oval for two consecutive nights of racing.

The event will feature both the USAC National and Western States Midgets competing for a $5,000 prize in the 30-lap feature on the opening night, Tuesday, November 19.* The event concludes on Wednesday, November 20, with a 100-lap feature, the first 100-lap race for the series since 2012, that pays $20,000 to the winner and $1,000 to start.

An extra $20,000 will be up for grabs to the overall Hangtown 100 champion who accumulates the most combined points between the two nights of racing.* Both nights of racing will pay appearance points only to USAC-licensed teams and drivers toward the USAC Midget series championship standings.* The rain date for the event, if needed, is Thursday, November 21.* The Wicked Energy Gum Northwest Focus Midgets presented by Cognitive Warriors will also be on the event card.

USAC Midgets have visited Placerville on four previous occasions, all coming under the Western States banner.* Jimmy Sills, a Placerville native, won in 1996.* Ronnie Gardner captured the victory in 2016.* Shane Golobic is the lone two-time Placerville winner, racing to victory lane in 2013 and in the most recent event in 2017.

The “Hangtown 100” is part of an expanded western swing for the USAC NOS Energy Drink National Midgets, which concludes the season with six events in Arizona and California during the month of November, all in conjunction with the USAC Western States Midgets.

The midgets return to the “Western World Championships” at Arizona Speedway in San Tan Valley on November 15-16 before the back-to-back nights at Placerville on November 19-20.* The weekend finishes up at Bakersfield (Calif.) Speedway on the 23rd for the “November Classic,” which leads into the 79th running of the “Turkey Night Grand Prix” on Thanksgiving night, November 28 at Ventura (Calif.) Raceway.

Tickets for the Hangtown 100 can be reserved at https://www.hangtown100.com/.

Drivers and teams can now register for the event at https://www.hangtown100.com/register.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
10/18/19, 4:50 PM   #2
staggerman

Why does every event have to have a special format. If special formats are so great run it for every show. Why not just run a standard format everyone knows. Ok, that’s my rant for the day! lol

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, flagboy55, nathans1012
10/18/19, 5:24 PM   #3
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

What's up the fuel stop? The Hut Hundred was a hundred laps on a half mile and it didn't need one.

4 members like this post: addictedtodirt, flagboy55, nathans1012, streetglider
10/18/19, 8:13 PM   #4
flagboy55

FUEL STOP?!!! What the heck? I have to agree with my friend here. I can’t stand them. Not part of our sport. Should only be employed under extreme circumstances. I hate the fact that Knoxville went to a stop. I get why they went 50 on the 50th but should have gone back to 40 non stop after that. I don’t get why the sanctions keep letting them run smaller tanks? In my world sanctioning bodies should either mandate a tank size and/or raise the minimum weight and eliminate fuel stops, then it’s up to the team to figure out how much fuel to load.

10/19/19, 12:49 AM   #5
Re: Usac: Hangtown 100 format revealed

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Anyone that puts up $100,000 for midgets can pick the format IMO. Wish I could go, sounds cool.

10/19/19, 8:40 AM   #6
flagboy55

Points, you’re not wrong with your statement. I certainly appreciate a big money race for the midgets. While I agree with the earlier poster as well, my only real complaint is fuel stops. I just hate em. The only race where I see it acceptable is the Little 500

4 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jonboat15, nathans1012, oppweld
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Hangtown 100 format revealed