IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hockett- McMullen memorial
9/23/19, 10:56 AM   #11
Re: Hockett- McMullen memorial
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Because it is NOT a true 4 Crown...Fri nights All Star wing cars is just that (Fri. Night)....put them on Sat. with the 3 USAC divisions and we can think about it...

Jack Hewitt is the only one that has EVER won the true 4 crown and will be until they put the wing cars or mods/late models on Sat. and that is not going to happen due to the lost of $$$ from a 2 day show.
Saturday night's lineup at Eldora:
1. USAC Silver Crown
2. USAC Sprints
3. USAC Midgets
4. All Stars

That would make 4-Crowns on Saturday. World of Outlaws run Friday, All Stars on Saturday. This weekend will be the fourth straight year the 4-Crown has had this schedule.

9/23/19, 12:00 PM   #12
SoIllSprinter

Thanks for the clarification. Everyone satisfied? It is a 4 Crown Saturday night. The interwebs gives voice to a lot of people who just want to bellyache about anything. Disappointing to see it manifest in this forum. Use your ancestors wisdom, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

6 members like this post: addictedtodirt, captrat, dkdorkboy, flagboy55, ROSS, tirespinner
9/23/19, 1:37 PM   #13
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
“So called 4 crown” ? Where does that remark come from? One of the best annual events since 1981. I was glad they were not scheduled against each other this year. Hoping that some of the racers from west of Indiana would come run one of the crown jewel open wheel races. I’m sure the USAC guys that made the trip were really pumped to run the Hockett. When I read some of the shallow opinions on here, it’s no wonder non wing racing is not as popular as the wings
Thoughtful post until last sentence. Seems unnecessary and still trying to understand the point being made.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/23/19, 3:42 PM   #14
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Come on Wayne, you know better. It’s been called the 4 Crown Nationals since it’s inception regardless of classes and format. When Earl, Johnny Vance, and USAC put this event together back in the day it had the full body stock cars on the card. A lot has changed but the name has remained and is still an absolutely wonderful event. Can only hope some of the folks that ran and watched the Hockett McMillen come enjoy this race
I was at the very 1st one in 1981 with the USAC stock cars. Now it can go back to being a TRUE 4 Crown Nationals as it was intended to be (a one day event). Glad to see the powers to be (Tony) cut the Friday night and go to Sat. only. Jack's record can now be broken. I might leave Florida Friday night and drive up to see it live.

I guess I stand corrected...I did not know this was the same format for the last 3 years...I thought the wing cars on Fri. and all USAC on Sat. goes to show even and old fart can make a mistake

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

Last edited by Wayne Davis; 9/23/19 at 3:51 PM.

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, flagboy55, tirespinner
9/23/19, 9:58 PM   #15
flagboy55

Cap, I guess the last sentence could have been omitted but the point I was trying to make was in reference to someone being upset that the best in the business showed up to race. If you’re running a Premier event, don’t you want the best? Not unlike how some folks thought local racing was at least as important as the Corn Belt Nationals. I mean no offense to anyone, but in my mind that is not progressive thinking

9/23/19, 11:07 PM   #16
racefan20

Quote:
Cap, I guess the last sentence could have been omitted but the point I was trying to make was in reference to someone being upset that the best in the business showed up to race. If you’re running a Premier event, don’t you want the best? Not unlike how some folks thought local racing was at least as important as the Corn Belt Nationals. I mean no offense to anyone, but in my mind that is not progressive thinking
I just cant understand why you would think that a race weekend that had been previously established that was a 4-5 hour drive away from Knoxville would be expected by some to move their date because its "Knoxville". I dont think you even get that now for the winged nationals and obviously it is a much more established race than the Corn belt race. I'm hearing the Corn belt race will be moved and the BC 39 race will be held the week of the 4th next year since the Brickyard is moving to that week. I guess a premier event at IMS is more important than a premier event at Knoxville.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

9/23/19, 11:15 PM   #17
flagboy55

Please continue, I think you’re validating my point.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hockett- McMullen memorial