IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 10/24/09 - MTQRL Banquet
10/25/09, 10:29 PM   #1
10/24/09 - MTQRL Banquet
Sandy Lowe

On Saturday evening the Midwest TQ Racing League presented by Vincennes University held their Champions Banquet at the Pavilion at the Brickyard Crossing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Tate Martz and Roger Ramsey were honored as the inaugural champions in a salute to “A New Era in Three Quarter Midget Racing.”

League founders Mark and Jennifer Frechette, along with Vincennes University representatives Dr. Helton and Dean Haase, recognized the top fifteen owners and drivers in a trophy cup presentation. The Frechette’s also presented Service Awards to Janet Smith, AJ ‘s Towing, Jay Parks, Jerry Frickman, Mark and Lora Widener, and Sandy Lowe.

Diane Poff, of Jackson Oil & Solvents, presented Tate Martz with a 55 gallon drum of racing fuel in recognition of his Duel for Fuel championship. In addition to the certificate Poff also presented Martz with an antique fuel pump replica.

Chris Guinn presented a $100 award for Best Appearing Car and Crew to Tim Lynch, and Steve Brown presented a set of pistons to Larry Teegarden as the Hard Luck Owner. A Clean Sweep award was also presented to Jason Willis in recognition of his clean sweep at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds on August 29th. On that night Willis set quick time, won the Duel for Fuel, his heat race and the feature.

An emotional point of the evening was when master of ceremonies Gary Lee presented the Larry Rice Spirit Award to Chris Guinn. Rice, a longtime friend and announcing partner of Lee’s, passed away earlier this year after battling lung cancer.

Top three drivers Martz, Willis and Kenny Byrge presented the Frechette’s with a signed helmet. Also, MTQRL flagman Steve Motz presented Martz with a checkered flag which was also signed by the MTQRL drivers and officials.

Hall of Fame driver Mel Kenyon was on hand to offer the invocation to begin the festivities. To close out the evening Hoosier Jewelry presented championship rings to Martz and Ramsey.

For more information on the Midwest TQ Racing League presented by Vincennes University please visit their website at www.mtqrl.com.

Photo's by Janet Smith

3 members like this post: nowings4me, STP, Uncle_Charlie
10/26/09, 9:17 AM   #2
Re: 10/24/09 - MTQRL Banquet
TQ29m

Hats off to all that put this together, it was GREAT!!! Looking forward to many more years, but how do you top this season? Bob

2 members like this post: STP, Uncle_Charlie
10/26/09, 12:20 PM   #3
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Hats off to all that put this together, it was GREAT!!! Looking forward to many more years, but how do you top this season? Bob
Bob, to say that this banquet was "GREAT" is like saying the Mona Lisa is "not bad". This was, with out a doubt, the finest event I have been invited to attend. I did not know what some of the food was, but it was all outstanding!

I also was not a big fan of jazz music, until now anyway. The band was WONDERFUL! I was expecting some loud, boring music, but I was wrong. Our table was very close to the band however, I could still talk with everyone without yelling. You could also tell that the band enjoyed playing here as well. Now I know why people like to have "Dinner Music" at an affair like this. I think that people are to busy sampling a little of each dish to talk anyway. First Class all the way round!

Hats off to Tate, Roger and crew for your first-place efforts. I am sure that you will find room for those little trophies you hauled out. Now I know why the armed guard was there.

Thanks to Jen and Mark for snagging Gary Lee. I think we should keep Gary around. He kind of adds "a little class" to racing.

Now the hard part...waiting for six months to see most of my racing family again.

To all: Take care and may the good Lord take a liking to you. (but not too soon) Yes Bob, even you.

1 member likes this post: STP
10/26/09, 7:35 PM   #4
TqMidget41&84

First class banquet, best part everyone had a great time ! A big thanks to Mark and Jen for bringing back TQ racing the way it was intended to be !

10/26/09, 8:56 PM   #5
nowings4me

Truly an amazing evening!!! Who ever would have dreamed a TQ banquet would ever be on a level such as that? Jen and Mark, I applaud you on a great year of doing what most said couldn't be done. Gary Lee, your countless hours of planning and organizing are pure magic. Not only the banquet itself, but everything else you have done for the MTQRL. It has truly been an honor to work and play with such wonderful people. It has truly been a year I will never forget. I already miss seeing everyone. Congrats to Tate and the gang. Thanks so much to all of our sponsors. My wife appreciates your support also, which gets me out of her hair on most Saturday nights. Can't wait to see all of your again.

10/26/09, 9:25 PM   #6
tq11

Congrates TATER! That car sure does look good with those #1 decals on it.

10/26/09, 9:49 PM   #7
bigmojo5

Congratulations Tater.
Wish I could have been there to see a couple of the races.
To Uncle Charlie, we might bring you around to some real music after all.
Jim Morrison
Editor
Hawkeye Racing News

10/26/09, 10:02 PM   #8
cabjr111

MAN.......... Wish I had attended heard it was great.
Congratulations to Tate on Your Championship, Jay on your first win as a Car Owner, and Nick on Your wins.

10/27/09, 7:42 AM   #9
Uncle_Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmojo5 View Post
Congratulations Tater.
Wish I could have been there to see a couple of the races.
To Uncle Charlie, we might bring you around to some real music after all.
Jim Morrison
Editor
Hawkeye Racing News
Hey Jim,

You missed out on some of the best racing I have seen in years. Four wide at Lawrenceburg for the lead capped off the season.
Also, the band knew some Pink Floyd, but thought it would be inappropriate at a racing banquet.

Take care,

10/27/09, 9:26 AM   #10
TQ29m

Jim, good to hear from you, wish you coulda been there, we missed you. Charlie, don't know if you noticed or not, but the band stayed, even after their part of the evening was over, they were enjoying it as much as anyone, I got to talk to the Band Leader, after everything was done, and he said they really enjoyed the evening, and were looking forward to next season as well as the rest of us. How often do you see the band stay, when their part is done? Just thought I'd mention that, they could have been gone, 2 hrs earlier, but stayed. Now for the long winter, heating bills, just looking forward to next Spring. Hope everyone makes it back. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 10/24/09 - MTQRL Banquet