IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway.
8/24/23, 11:30 AM   #11
Re: Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
Yep and it was a sell out
We are doomed. . . .

2 members like this post: Dirtfan, motorhead748
8/24/23, 12:30 PM   #12
Hubie48

I dunno

I really, really like the track as it is now.

but I just buy tickets.

1 member likes this post: cmakin
8/24/23, 12:57 PM   #13
openwheelfan1

The days of over 100 sprint cars competing on a Saturday night at various tracks in Indiana are behind us, unfortunately. On a weekend night mid summer, there are usually around 55-65 sprint cars that can be counted on to compete regularly, and many of those teams are Indianapolis area based. Now, factor in travel costs and likelihood of tearing up equipment and those 55-60 cars are going to go where they stand the most opportunity to lose the least amount of money. Unfortunately, whether on a Friday night or a Saturday night of operation, Lawrenceburg is PERCEIVED as further away than other options and harder on equipment. IMO, the only way Lawrenceburg is going complete with the other available weekly racing options is either increase their purses back through the field and/or make significant changes to the track configuration to reduce wear and tear on the equipment.

Again, IMO, a promoter is better off going with a "specials only" approach with a varied line-up. Winged sprint cars, non-winged sprint cars, midgets, Late models and modifieds all from various sanctioning bodies. It is going take some serious work to bring back the competitors and the fan base. It's not impossible, other tracks have done it, but it is going to be difficult.

2 members like this post: Blacki-Suede, mtek56
8/24/23, 1:32 PM   #14
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubie48 View Post
I dunno

I really, really like the track as it is now.

but I just buy tickets.
I do, too (like the track as it is now, that is). I have only been there once to the old configuration and as a fan. My next time back was with the current configuration, and I was shooting. Just the visual impact when entering the grounds is stunning. Yeah, there have been some nights where the surface wasn't optimal, but that is dirt track racing.

8/24/23, 1:50 PM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I like it because it's fast. Tacky or rubbered up. I love to see a sprinter haul ass like at Eldora or Terre Haute. You watch the ones good at it and them cars just launch off two and look to be floating on the track. The ones on it quickest and off it latest are moving forward. There's half a dozen simular (But different quarters). THESE TWO ARE DIFFERENT and I think very raceable but making them safer is a huge plus.

I also know several racers that love to go fast. Grant Ballou, Stockon, Bacon id don't know if he has a favorite but is good on both.

All I know that after over 50yrs of watching, At Burg and THAT. I say to myself and friends and family. THESE GUYS ARE NUTS! You can have great racing at any track in any class. But a sprint car hauling is BREATHTAKING.

8/24/23, 2:56 PM   #16
TQ29m

Having been both a watcher and in the seat of one of these insane machines, Chuck, I couldn't explain it better, and you have to control it all by your right foot, nothing can explain the adrenaline rush you control!!!

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Hustlin-Hoosier, wallbanger II
8/24/23, 3:13 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Having been both a watcher and in the seat of one of these insane machines, Chuck, I couldn't explain it better, and you have to control it all by your right foot, nothing can explain the adrenaline rush you control!!!

I can only imagine a sprint car. But did get a couple heats in a bomber at FLorence. Soaked in sweat, shaking like a leaf and smile you couldn't have punched off. Memories I'll take to my final resting place.

2 members like this post: motorhead748, TQ29m
8/24/23, 5:42 PM   #18
Speedsme61x

Make it the size of the old track. Cost for local guys to run a bigger track is to much to get full fields.

2 members like this post: 1021gpa, motorhead748
8/24/23, 8:24 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Now I see where Florence cancelled the fall 50. Think things are good?

2 members like this post: Hubie48, motorhead748
8/25/23, 7:54 AM   #20
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Now I see where Florence cancelled the fall 50. Think things are good?
I wonder why?

1 member likes this post: Eatin Dirt
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Keyboard Jockies idea's for future Lawrenceburg Speedway.