Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wing vs. Non-Wing
8/24/21, 11:08 PM   #71
Re: Wing vs. Non-Wing
oldfan49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
"

Interesting statement you made,maybe one shouldn't be so quick to pass judgment on "we"all.
Better?

8/25/21, 8:12 PM   #72
hoscalecody

Personally I prefer watching and driving non wing way more then winged. Although driving part is only a mini sprint. I don't have big problems with winged racing, just don't prefer it. This is coming from someone that grew up always watching winged racing in Ohio.
We never really went to any non wing races until after I was already started racing in about 2012-2013 at Waynesfield. Started seeing a lot of non wing races at Waynesfield and enjoyed it a lot more.

Mini sprints is what I race/d and non wing was always weird to most and most was against it. So I started and ran mostly winged racing.
A year or 2 later a race got canceled and we took our mini sprint to Montpelier to race with the full midgets, late 2014 i think. Only thing we did different was took the wings off, we kept winged setup on winged gearing etc... For the first few laps I was a giant squirrel, started figuring it out and was putting really good laps and times down. In the Heat I was running 2-3 wide with people and running the last transfer spot. Coming to the checkered flag, out of 4 I tried to drive it like a winged car and expected the car to hold the corner. I was wrong went full speed into the wall out of 4. Luckily i hit the brakes enough to turn the car sideways. Destroyed rear end engine etc...

After that day though, I never wanted to run a winged race again. Only did after that, because it was close. We've traveled 400-500 miles round trip to race Non wing due to that. Even down to South Carolina. It'd be very rare for me to travel that much for a winged race. Last time I actually ran a winged race was now 2019.
It took me 5 years of racing mini sprints, to finally have my first flip. It was non wing and I yard saled it out of, funny enough Montpelier. Going off of pictures and google maps I estimated it to be about 400-430ft. Knocked out, messed my back and knees up, some memory loss and there was nothing left of the car. Only thing good was seat, steering box and the rear rims. This was 3 years ago now and still feels like it was yesterday, still prefer non wing though.

People would say I was weird, but i'd rather run a non wing sprint car locally and work a normal job. Than to race a winged car for a living. I'd rather do something I enjoy more and get paid less, than to do something that i'm not a big fan of and get paid more.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 8/25/21 at 8:14 PM.

8/26/21, 10:33 AM   #73
flagboy55

On display last night was an example that proves wingless is better. I missed the first heat at the Bob Darland Memorial but saw the rest of the program, until a storm came through and knocked out power. On the TV next to it I had the Outlaws on from Red River. I’ve said this to people on here that don’t care for wings before. The heat races usually suck for wings but the features are many times just as good if not better sometimes. Last night I might have seen one pass in the Outlaws heats where as Kokomo they were racing side by side and passing. I go to see a whole show not just the feature. As I said both types of features can be great but heats with wings, especially with the Outlaws where they start straight up, are not much different than hotlaps

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Midget98, oppweld
8/26/21, 2:02 PM   #74
Eric Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
Out of curiosity, how much are a set of wings? What’s the cost to paint/ wrap the car with and without a wing?
You can get a set of wings for as little as $800 I bet and can spend upwards of $1500. I know one guy paid $1100 to wrap his car and wings two years ago.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
8/27/21, 5:33 PM   #75
BrentTFunk

Was I the only one a little surprised that only 26 car were at Grandview All Stars last night? All Stars had 5 of the top 6 finishers. Through in PPM as an outsider, and I believe that makes 6 out of the top 7.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55
8/28/21, 8:52 AM   #76
BrentTFunk

Only 17 410 wing cars at Attica. They still had a last lap finish. The Outlaws and All Stars are very strong, but on a local level wings are not growing.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
8/28/21, 7:15 PM   #77
BrentTFunk

Looks like 38 with the All Stars at Lincoln tonight

8/28/21, 7:56 PM   #78
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Looks like 38 with the All Stars at Lincoln tonight
Port Royal is running Lucas Lates

8/28/21, 7:56 PM   #79
PJ Wright

18 winged 410s at Selinsgrove tonight for $5000 to win.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/29/21, 12:30 AM   #80
flagboy55

Another point I was going to make about the fact that wingless is better was it takes longer for them to get to lapped traffic. Then I realized that lapped traffic improves the winged product. So I guess my point is moot.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Wing vs. Non-Wing