IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled
9/8/11, 11:03 AM   #61
Re: More Midget Races Cancelled
BrianBSU23

We need to further grow our track and fan base and this is an option we are taking a good hard look at to see if the support is there. We need feedback from any and all competitors (Midget & Mini-Sprint) who might be interested in this in 2012 and maybe even a possible show or two in October. If you can help us or know of other competitors, please help us get in contact with them.

We have a good group of helpful responses so far and need as much feedback as possible! At this point, the feedback is not that far apart.

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=52646

2 members like this post: DAD, jim goerge
9/8/11, 12:21 PM   #62
DonMoore10

We all need to get behind the Montpelier effort. That track is a good midget track. Not a high speed joint... nice tight turns so the big engines don't have an advantage there. They are willing to do some things that the orgs at this point have no interest. Hurray for the guys at Montpelier. They are thinking outside the box and if the owners and drivers get behind their effort, we can make some progress at getting midget racing back to its senses. Once again, give this promoter your support and see what happens. Let's forget about the way it's always been done and move forward with some fresh ideas.

3 members like this post: DAD, jim goerge, mscs20
9/8/11, 12:34 PM   #63
Bradleyracing86

What if:
We took the idea even farther.. Just throwing this out there if you don't like it, don't catch it..

In the economy that we have today racing will die off if we don't change something..

Midgets are struggling, upright mini sprints are struggling (although doing better) and tq's are dead. I talked to Bill May about our rules recently and told him I thought our rules were probably why are series was hanging in there during these tough times, and they didn't need changed. However after racing with the midget guys at Mountpeliar and seeing the two different cars run together at North Vernon I have some different ideas.. The problem with midgets is motors cost too much, problem with minis is people think a chain drive is crude.. What if we opened our rules to allow quick change rearends, what if we said you can run any manafactured 1000cc motor, weather it's a cycle engine or car or whatever. There is no innovation in what we do anymore...
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

This would allow.. 600 uprights, tq midgets, and maybe lower hp midgets to compete together... Really I dont mind racing with the midgets on smaller tracks but big tracks they would eat us!
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

And 1000s
Posted via Mobile Device

9/8/11, 12:43 PM   #64
DonMoore10

The mix of midgets and 1000 minis at North Vernon worked out great. Also at US24 which is a great midget track!!!!!!! Honestly, sitting in the stands and watching the cars go by.. you CANNOT tell the difference between the various cars. Yes.. if you really, really look closely but as reported by several fans that were there, it worked.

1 member likes this post: DAD
9/8/11, 12:55 PM   #65
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
What if:
We took the idea even farther.. Just throwing this out there if you don't like it, don't catch it..

In the economy that we have today racing will die off if we don't change something..

Midgets are struggling, upright mini sprints are struggling (although doing better) and tq's are dead. I talked to Bill May about our rules recently and told him I thought our rules were probably why are series was hanging in there during these tough times, and they didn't need changed. However after racing with the midget guys at Mountpeliar and seeing the two different cars run together at North Vernon I have some different ideas.. The problem with midgets is motors cost too much, problem with minis is people think a chain drive is crude.. What if we opened our rules to allow quick change rearends, what if we said you can run any manafactured 1000cc motor, weather it's a cycle engine or car or whatever. There is no innovation in what we do anymore...
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

This would allow.. 600 uprights, tq midgets, and maybe lower hp midgets to compete together... Really I dont mind racing with the midgets on smaller tracks but big tracks they would eat us!
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

And 1000s
Posted via Mobile Device
TQ's are not dead, no, we don't have the 65 cars at a race, like we did 15 yrs ago, but they are alive and well, I'd say 24 cars is just right, everyone gets to go to the pay window, and at least get their expenses back for the evening. Bob!

3 members like this post: DAD, STP, Tony Barhorst
9/8/11, 1:05 PM   #66
Bradleyracing86

Sorry bob not trying to hurt anyones feelings, would you prefer dying?
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

This rearend thing would be optional, the rules are segregating 3 different types of cars I'm just saying what if they met in the middle.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/8/11, 1:38 PM   #67
TQ29m

No, not dying, either, this economy has hurt everything, most folks just running closer to home, just like everyone else, I've been doing this a long time, and I've seen a lot of up's and down's, not a lot of cars being sold, but some being built, and some just waiting, tells me they aren't dying, maybe resting! BTW, I think we have a good handle on engine rules, lets you think outside the box, no spec tires, just some rattle room, lets you be inventive, and do your own work, works good for me. One thing we can all do, is help the promoters, by not expecting payouts, like we had 65 cars, and the stands were full, hell, we're a support class, one way to get races, is to cut back on the purse, and not go for $500.00 to win, cut it back to $250.00 to win, and let 20th pay $100.00, everyone wins that way, more cars, happier people, no ONE team takes the big money home, everyone gets a share, more people sharing in the purse=better car counts, try to work with a track close to the center of your majority of car owners, for more races, don't spread out so far, it'll come back, but I wouldn't look for it for a couple of years, look at Nascar, look at the big teams that are now sharing sponsors, if that's any indication, it may take longer before it gets better.
Last edited by TQ29m; 9/8/11 at 1:54 PM.

9/8/11, 1:49 PM   #68
c47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
im not going on a treasure hunt to get my answer. i already have the rulebook and a car that conforms to it.
care to be a little more specific?

1 member likes this post: SPRINTCAR
9/8/11, 1:50 PM   #69
Bradleyracing86

Ok bob, I'm just saying you have confidence in your car. Not asking you to change it, I'm just saying our series should change it's rules to allow tq midgets to run with us on non wing shows.. Better for you to have more races better for us to have more competition and car count..
Posted via Mobile Device

9/8/11, 1:58 PM   #70
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyracing86 View Post
Ok bob, I'm just saying you have confidence in your car. Not asking you to change it, I'm just saying our series should change it's rules to allow tq midgets to run with us on non wing shows.. Better for you to have more races better for us to have more competition and car count..
Posted via Mobile Device
Read my post #68 again, I've expanded it. Bob

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > More Midget Races Cancelled