IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The New Adventure
10/15/07, 2:58 AM   #1
The New Adventure
Bluteam

Heartache, anger, worries, thrills, anxiety, confusion, relief, trust, understanding, surprises, lessons, smiles, laughs, and friends.

All are just words to describe the journey our family embarked on, dating back almost a year ago now. Each word describes an important part of what we went through, but I purposely saved the best for last.

When our then barely 15 year old son came to us and told us he was ready to move on from 1/4 midgets, it brought with it a feeling of anguish that has not yet subsided. I had the feeling of heartache that our child was growing up, and would no longer be the 6 year old that pulled off the track because his steering wheel was crooked. Heartache turned to anger when he was asked to explain in detail his reason for wanting to leave a sport supposedly designed for children - of which he still was very much one of. If you talk with him at any length, you will find what I did. Underneath the exterior that is still very much a young impressionable person, lies a mind that is beginning to instill its impressions on others.

The details of how we decided together to go down this path are many, but the basis was simple. 2007 would be a year without deadlines or schedules. It would be a year to focus on everything but being at a racetrack every weekend. We still came up with a set of goals that needed to be accomplished, and daily reminders of the commitments that needed to be fulfilled. Through it all, we discussed more than just setups, driving, what we would like to have, and where we would be. We had discussions that involved the life altering decisions he would be making - and we witnessed first hand, how in an instance, everyones lives around you can change.

In late June, the culmination of his commitment to this would be tested. We've been to many race tracks together, both watching and competing. This would be only the second time I was worried. The fact that his mother wasn't worried, actually worried me even more. The thrill of the outcome from that first night did not lessen the anxiety I now feel every time he straps in the race car. In part, I'm sure some of the feelings can be equated to the confusion I get when trying to help him with something I could not do myself. I try to make sure everything is perfect, but he continually shrugs me off, opting instead to simply get the feel of things before making any changes.

It is the trust he has in himself that the parent in me is still trying to cope with. I only have myself to blame for it though. The understanding of each other that we share runs very deep, and his part in that has shown for many years, and probably started way to young. It is awkward knowing that your child does not depend on you for everything. But I suppose that would be the goal to achieve, though nowhere in the handbook does it say we have to like it.

This year went almost according to plan for one of our children. We simply wanted to run a few races without any distractions, just to get the feel of what we were in for. There were a couple of surprises, like winning his first race, or discovering that words spoken a couple of years earlier were dead on accurate. Each of us learned a lesson or two, and we were fortunate enough to look at each other and laugh about it. And through it all, the main focus remained the same as the day we first stared through the fence at a race track. We wanted to be together, and we wanted to have fun.

What wasn't expected, or planned on, was the manner in which we were able to achieve that last part - having fun. Some things just cannot be scripted, and that is what makes it mean even more. The support that we received this year goes beyond the monetary part of this. Letters, emails, calls, visits, traveling companions, and secret wishes, all added up to something that cannot be bought, and could never be repaid with a simple thank you.

But that is what we are left with, as the first year of our new adventure comes to a close. And to describe each of you as simply friends, would not be accurate. Each of you followed along, some of you literally, as we headed off blindly down the path. We want to thank those who listened as we told about our adventure. The clues left behind tell a story that not everyone will ever see, but know that we recognize your interest and support. The comments and admiration for our children, that are easily recognizable in the public eye, bring feelings of warmth to us as parents. The guy that answered his phone to deal with a novice, the guy who made a post race phone call to show appreciation, the guy that offered his support via direct connect, and the guy that wants so bad to shoot a picture - thank you.

But for a few of you, know that we could not, and most likely would not, have done this without you. A movie once told a story of a group of "pals", and how if you have a pal, you don't need anything else. Now I wouldn't expect any of you to run off to Old Mexico with us to avoid the hangman, but it's nice to know that you would check in on us once in a while - or maybe try to steer us in a different direction. Shoot, thats the test of all tests if you ask me. You all have one thing in common - the smile we love to see and the laughter we love to hear.

To Barry & Doug - you guys got the hard part. Keeping me distracted so I could get through it. Gold stars to each of you.

Dennis Schlenz - you made a promise a couple of years ago that did not need to be kept, and we'll never forget what you have done for us.

Paul Keith - it's all your fault my friend. If only you had known how impressionable I was. Ironic how the players involved were the same. Thank you.

Vern Page - neighbor, friend, and the go to guy in a pinch. You haven't let us down yet. It is a pleasure seeing your smile.

Jim Sievert - my only fear is that one of these days you're going to start talking and I won't be there to hear and learn by what you have to say. But you can't hide your smile, and I appreciate seeing it.

Rob Leland - what motivates someone to help another they have never met? Scraping mud and washing a car with so much enthusiasm. Next time I promise to turn left as you instructed.

Michael Beckler - teacher, friend, and a smile that brightens my mornings each time you drive up to the shop. Thank you for supporting us.

Greg & Tina Burgess - pretend all you want. Your support for our family goes beyond a helping hand. Others should be so lucky to have what you give to us. And I do listen - every time.

Slim - pretend all you want. You're nothing but a big old softy who fooled me once, but now we know who you really are.

Kailey Schlenz - our secret weapon, future legal counsel, and chief negotiator. Know that we recognize the sacrifices you made too my little friend. Slug bug, feel free to tag me back.

Diana Schlenz - you may pretend that we're doing you the favor by taking up his time, but we know different. Thanks for making it fun with the same "looks" to him that Ann gives to me.

Marshall Schlenz - it took me a while to figure you out. Because in opposite land, that means I'll never figure you out. The knowledge and trust you bring to a relationship is SO misunderstood. Now I get it. But I'll never be that patient. Perhaps if you had not said it wrong in the first place, I could have heard it right. In the real world, outside of the Matrix, we literally could not have done this without you - thank you.

Nicki - because of you.......Good times, good times.

TJ - that took some big ones. And you were right that day in the field.

Ann - it's all their fault. Every one of them. They make me do it.

:greenflag: :checkered:
Green to Checkers,

Ted Hartman

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The New Adventure