IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where and when was your very first race?
10/21/09, 5:03 PM   #31
Re: Where and when was your very first race?
SprintManDave

If memory serves correctly,(and it doesn't too often) It was late 40's at the Columbus Speedway on the hill. My first open wheel race was the AAA midgets at the old 16th street speedway in 1949, won by Johnny Parsons.Also about the same time saw midgets race at the Jeffersonville Sportsdrome.A friend of my fathers named Bob Wilson had a midget and raced there.

1 member likes this post: Ovalmeister
10/21/09, 5:12 PM   #32
darnall

I attended my first race at Bolivar, MO on opening night 1973 at age 4 months. Apparently I caught pneumonia so my grandparents made my dad sell his car and grow up cause he had a family. What a load of B.S.

I attended several more stock car races at the fairgrounds in springfield, MO and I really loved them but then something happened that ruined me for good.

Sometime around 1979 (give or take a few years) I saw my first SPRINT CAR RACE at the fairgrounds in Sedalia, MO. Mile track, daytime race, no wings.....BLEW MY FREAKIN MIND!!!!!!

Shane Carson won the deal in the old Vise Grip #20 car. I still can close my eyes and see that car wiggling down the frontstretch and pitching it in to turn one about 100 yards early.

From that point on I could have cared less about a stock car race but would have been willing to make the 10 hour drive to Wisconsin to catch the last 5 laps of any Sprint Car or Midget feature.

10/21/09, 5:49 PM   #33
Cottle fan dirt junkie

summer of 1989, kokomo speedway

10/21/09, 6:10 PM   #34
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

my 1st race was at sweet owen speedway....mom was pregnat with me and when dad..or better known as Shortbus...when he rolled his racecar..mom had jumped 3 rows of bleachers with me in her stomach...i cant tell you who won...lol
Posted via Mobile Device

10/21/09, 6:20 PM   #35
RJ21

Toledo speedway 1961 man from my hometown built rear engine sprint in his garage,Toledo was dirt then with no fence car went great till corner then it would push right off end of track, every turn, but I was Hooked.

10/21/09, 6:55 PM   #36
sprntr

First Dirt Race - 1958 Minnesota State Fair- Sanction & Winner Unknown
First Pavement Race - 1964 Minnesota State Fair - Sanction & Winner Unknown - The Jerks PAVED it!
First Road Course Event - Donnybrooke International Speedway - July 6, 1969 - SCCA Trana-Am Series - Won by Parnelli Jones in a Bud Moore Ford Mustang
First Time Driving a Race Car - June, 1972 - Jim Russell International Racing Drivers School - Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant,Quebec- Lotus Formula Ford

10/21/09, 7:00 PM   #37
old time Hoosier

Spring of 1946 at the Armscamp Speedway near Alexandria, Indiana. Do not remember who won but it was a midget race and the winner drove a purple #4 car. The track was still dirt and not yet banked and the place was absolutely packed with spectators.

1 member likes this post: Ovalmeister
10/21/09, 7:04 PM   #38
jim goerge

First race I ever saw was at the old speedroam track on the east side of Evansville in 56 remember it was jalopies don;t know who won first sprint race was at Haubstadt winner was Don Nordhorn who later ran with USAC

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 PM ----------

My first race ever saw was in 56 at the speedroam on the eastside of Evansville IN remember it was jalopies don;t know who won first sprint car race was at Habstadt winner was Don Nordhorn who later ran with USAC Dam I feel old now

1 member likes this post: SUPERDUKE
10/21/09, 7:22 PM   #39
#1SPRINTVET

I went with my parents in the late 30's, but have no recollection of where or when, to small. The first race I remember was at Sportsman Park, Bedford, Ohio outside of Cleveland. The first two races I went to at that Speedway were won by Duane Carter and it was early 1946. Midget races were at there peak and we went every Wednesday, Akron Rubbler Bowl, Saturday, Canfield Fairgrounds, and Sundays at Sportsmans Park. This was the start of a lifetime of racing. Sam Stockon Sr.

10/21/09, 7:53 PM   #40
Brolzy

Mine was Super Dirt Week in 1975 at 3 months old. The first race I really remember was at Nazareth National in PA in about 81 or 82, I think...the USAC Silver Crown, NDRA Late Model, and Dirt modified show...that and the 100 lapper that same year at the smaller Nazareth track that my uncle was leading with 3 laps to go and blew a tire....it landed in some unoccupied bleachers.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Where and when was your very first race?