IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > first look
12/19/14, 5:46 PM   #11
Re: first look
revjimk

These vintage races sound cool. Is it a competitive race or just an exhibition?

12/19/14, 9:01 PM   #12
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac miller View Post
"

Hi stoney, thanks for your comment. My cars are designed and built with several different driveline and suspension configurations and components, depending on the customer specifications. They participate in many major vintage events all across the country.

Hopefully, you will post some pix of the cars that you have designed and built, so I can see how it should be done.

Here are some of the other cars I have built in the last few years.
Please feel free to point out the "errors" I made on these cars...
Mac

I like your work. Beautiful cars, and fiberglass work. Stoney was probably being a little too critical with his critique. He might want to look into a car by AJ they might be more to his liking.

Now I would like to see a Mallard complete with 24 bottle power plant. AC and on board oxygen would also be nice for us older racers.

That little swirly banner under the name done in Gold Leaf and the word "Special" written inside of it does add a nice touch to any race car. Where are the George Grubers when you need them.

indy roadster builders
I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Home
mac miller's garage
roadster news!
Forums
Members
Blog List
Photo Gallery
video
Roadster List
contact me
ANNOUNCEMENT!
building a badass!

Blog
« Back to Blog « Older Entry | Newer Entry »
The greatest Time in INDY History!
Posted by indyroadsters on April 9, 2009 at 1:20 PM

The greatest 10 year span at the INDIANAPOLIS MOTOR SPEEDWAY was from 1957 through 1967.

Not only was this the greatest group of drivers in history, including Jones, Clark, the real Foyt, the real andretti, the real Unsers, Gurney, nascar drivers, sports car drivers, sprint car drivers, euros etc, etc, but also the greatest and most interesting cars, including the mid 50s Kurtis Novis, the late 50s/early 60s Kurtis 500G and Watson roadsters, the Epperly "laydowns", "the Cooper", the Lotus/Fords, Lolas, anything from Mickey Thompson, the giant early 60s Kurtis Novis, the beautiful '66 Eagles, and the very clever '67 STP turbine.....

In addition to the great cars and drivers from '57 through '67,there were also more interesting car builders, mechanics, car owners and sponsors "per square inch" than any other time in history...

Car builders Kurtis, Watson, "Lugie", Meskowski, Kuzma, Salih, Trevis, Ewing, Halibrand, Gerhardt, Gurney, Chapman, Broadley, Brabham, Thompson, Epperly, etc.

Owners like Hopkins, Dean, Chapman, Bignotti, Root, Zink, Granatelli, Demler, Gerhardt, Bowes, Wilke, Watson, Agajanian, Robbins, Porter, Yunick, Thompson, Vatis, Gurney, Mecom, Van Liew, Walther, etc. etc................ sponsors like Dean Van Lines, Bowes Seal Fast, Sumar, Dayton Steel Foundry, Bardahl, D-A Lubricants, Leader Cards, Bryant Heating and Cooling, American Red Ball Van Lines, Federal Engineering, Travelon, Belond, Konstant Hot, Wynn's, STP, etc. etc.

It was the greatest technical period in INDY CAR history, OFFY vs Ford vs NOVI vs turbine, race engines vs stock blocks, turbos and superchargers vs normally aspirated, Americans vs euros, front engine vs rear engine, Firestone vs Goodyear vs Dunlop vs Sears Allstate, 2 wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive, tube frame vs monocoque, etc, etc.

Ward, Sachs, Bryan, Hanks, the Rathmanns, Marshman, Hurtubise, Ruby, Bettenhausen, Elisian, "Caveman" Christie, Branson, O'Conner and on and on.

They even had the best paint jobs back then with all of the pearl and candy colors, the classic scallops and the great gold and silver leaf trim from guys like Dean Jeffries and George Gruber

But the best part of it all was that almost all of the cars were

called "Specials", because they were!

1957 through 1967 had it all!!!!!!!!

Categories: None
Post a Comment
Name
Already a member? Sign In
Email
Get a new challenge Get an audio challenge Help
Privacy & Terms
2 Comments
Reply 50's sitcom dad
12:43 PM on June 11, 2009
I've been curious, with today's tire technology, track surface, etc... How fast could the front engine roadster go at the speedway today... 170? 180?
Reply mac miller
12:48 PM on June 15, 2009
Hi sitcom, I'm currently writing a blog about your question. Give me a couple of days and we'll talk about it. I'll post it as quick as I get it written.
Members Area
Sign In or Register

Copyright ©2009

I found this when I was looking for Gruber's first name very true young man.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 12/19/14 at 9:08 PM.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
12/20/14, 3:59 PM   #13
DAD

I went and signed up for Mac's blog. That is a trip to remember quality pics and info about that "Special" time in Indy history. Saw a pic of his "Bonneville Land speed Roadster"with that wicked 270 Offy in it that was taken in front of IMS main gate. Looks like AJ Watson is pretty prod of Mac's Recreations.

If you enjoy Roadsters I would recommend to spending a few minuets of your time and signing up for his blog.

Then be prepared to spend a few more days going over all the info that is in it.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > first look