IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts and observations from Terre Haute
9/20/14, 6:25 PM   #11
Re: Thoughts and observations from Terre Haute
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
While I agree USAC is a sanctioning body, and Lord knows, few promotors actually promote anymore, I also think the sanctioning body has a HUGE responsibility to assist the promotor in generating interest in the event. Press releases, social media releases, video for commercials etc, all have to come from the sanctioning body. And after attending both shows at THAT, I would agree that the WoO definitely tries to make it more of a "show" for the fans.
I guess If the promotor doesn't promote the event,then the sanctioning body should. I think that means get rid of promotor and just have a sanctioning body.

9/20/14, 6:54 PM   #12
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

Weren't both of those shows promoted by "track enterprises"?

9/20/14, 7:25 PM   #13
john3g

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
I guess If the promotor doesn't promote the event,then the sanctioning body should. I think that means get rid of promotor and just have a sanctioning body.
I guess I don't understand the statement. It's the series that promotes its teams,sponsors and itself. It's the track promoter the promotes the event at his/her facility. This isn't a shot at anyone just stating mine and my parties "thoughts and observations".

9/20/14, 7:58 PM   #14
dsc1600

In some cases, the Woo is the promoter of the event, they rent the track and go from there. In other cases, they have joint ventures with tracks where they co-promote. This sort of involvement with the individual races and tracks has really made a difference.

9/20/14, 8:29 PM   #15
Sprints fan 11

Went to WoO show Wednesday and was very disappointed. Saw very little passing. It was good to watch McMahon and Sweat race from the tail. Danny Smith was fun to watch in the B. I left with 11laps in the feature after the caution came out. Nobody was going to catch Schautz that night. I was out too to go the Thursday and figured it would be another late one. Watching both series USAC is by far better racing but the WoO is the show starting with Johnny Gibson. USAC could do so much better. One thing I would do if I was USAC would be get the former drivers to help promote the series.

9/20/14, 10:48 PM   #16
curbservice

I think everyone is missing the the point here. It's the promoters job to "promote" the event days, weeks, and months in advance of the actual show date. When you book an Outlaw date you buy a "show" it is the promoters job to put butts in the seats and prepare a race track that is capable of putting on a top notch race. The race the cars all the haulers all the scoreboards and video screens, Jonny Gibson that is the show you just bought a ticket with your hard earned money to see. The Outlaws and Jonny Gibson promote the brand and the drivers not the event. If you see a bad race it's probably because the race track wasen't prepared very well, I've see plenty of non wing races with little to no passing. I think everybody is harder on the Outlaws because they cost more to attend come around less often and are the best of the best. They get held to a higher standard.

9/21/14, 2:50 AM   #17
ThrowbackRacingTeam

The guy announcing the USAC race was one of the worst I've ever heard. During time trials he sounded like he was reading a book. He got somewhat excited when Haudenschild came out and stunk up the track, otherwise terrible. A great announcer makes a huge difference in the "show" everyone seems to love. Me, well I'll take better racing over a "show" and hype anyday. I do get sick of hearing that announcer rattle off chassis makes and sponsors while putting no pizazz into what's going on. Absolutely no personality. I'm sure I will get bashed now for criticizing him, but oh well. In his defense, when will they ever fix the PA system there? It's volume must be stuck on 1 and it's been like that for several years. As far as the car count, unfortunately, the place is now considered a motor killer. That is why they don't run the Hut 100 there anymore and why eventually you may not see USAC sprints there anymore. The engine deal is a sport killer. From what I've heard, more drag race builders are getting involved and driving up costs while building engines that run fewer nights. One more thing. Once again it got so dusty it was hard to see the cars. They really ought to excavate that crap that was brought in in '99 and go back to the original surface.

1 member likes this post: Pine
9/21/14, 7:45 AM   #18
daves81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheel7 View Post
Pretty strong points.

For the one about why not many USAC drivers show up. I have heard from one driver that some of the owners don't want to put a race from THAT on the motors. Could be just a select few guys that don't like to.

I was also told during Sprint week that the Vandeer Weerds don't like the big track at THAT. Which they won't be at a show like last night but goes to show some people might not be up for it.

Again all hear say.
Just curious ,Is THAT harder on motors than say Eldora or Knoxville or any other half mile? Thank You!

9/21/14, 9:12 AM   #19
Hammer down

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves81 View Post
Just curious ,Is THAT harder on motors than say Eldora or Knoxville or any other half mile? Thank You!
Eldora and Knoxville are owned tracks, there in they have the same good folks doing the track prep. Where at THAT when they promote the race it's not always the same track prep. Yes it would be great if they would do track prep during the usac hots, heats,etc. I'm not sure but woo may have people who travel with them to prepare.

9/21/14, 9:41 AM   #20
k41l

USAC is the problem and will never be any more than it already is. A WOO non wing series or a new series ran similarly is the only way to make non wing more relevant.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts and observations from Terre Haute