IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts and observations from Terre Haute
9/19/14, 7:03 PM   #1
Thoughts and observations from Terre Haute
openwheelfan1

We were fortunate enough to attend both the WoO show and the USAC show Wednesday and Thursday night at the THAT. it was our first trip to THAT in 15 years or more. There have been a few responses and such to posts about both shows and the crowd each night etc. The following are MY observations and thoughts and are NOT intended to incite or "stir the pot"!;

1.) The crowd for the WoO show on Wed. was strong. There were a few empty seats in the covered grandstand, but not many, the open bleachers were almost full, and the infield had a very good crowd. Around us (we sat in the covered grandstand) there were a lot of people that said they attend only one or two sprint car races/year. When I asked why they chose this race, some said "because all the stars were gonna be here" while some others said " it's the World of Outlaws...they're the best aren't they?". I found the responses interesting.

2.) The crowd for the USAC show was IMO poor. The infield was virtually empty, and it was pick your seat in both the covered grandstand and bleachers at 7:00 PM. The crowd was mostly "hard core" race fans and demographically, decidedly older than the crowd at the WoO show the previous evening.

3.) Unfortunately, the track conditions for the two nights were opposite what each organization looks for. Again, my opinion!! I thought the track Thursday night was pretty dry and while the USAC drivers put on a GREAT show, a better track could have made for an awesome event. The track for the WoO show, which was reworked 3 times to try to smooth it out, was pretty wet and choppy and mostly one lane all night. Donny Schatz, as noted in another post, dominated all night, and passing throughout the field was at a minimum.

4.) The sound system at THAT sucks. It wasn't worth a darn 15 years ago, and still isn't. You can ALMOST hear the announcer when the cars aren't running...when they are, forget it.

5.) I was surprised at the depth and strength of the field for the WoO event...38 cars signed in, 36 competed. I was disappointed in the field for the USAC race. 22 cars signed in, 21 raced. Considering Indiana is considered the stronghold of non-wing racing, I wonder why only 22 cars showed up?

6.) There was a video board just to the W of the control tower. During the WoO race, the video board was used to show heat race lineups, lap count, lap times and final results. During downtimes, the STP logo was displayed. During the USAC show, the same video board showed a continuous loop of Honda commercials...period. Hmmm.

7.) Lastly....and AGAIN, I stress this is MY OPINION....non-wing sprint car cars and drivers on a half mile are like watching a ballet on a high wire. ALWAYS on the edge of disaster. In contrast, the WoO cars are MUCH more locked down, but they also averaged 15 mph faster at THAT, so the reaction times are significantly reduced. Saying the driver of one type of car is better or worse than a driver of the other is doing a disservice to both. Both are masters of their chosen craft, and carry their man parts around with wheel barrows!

Steve

9/19/14, 8:30 PM   #2
BigWheel7

Race Count This Year: 2

Pretty strong points.

For the one about why not many USAC drivers show up. I have heard from one driver that some of the owners don't want to put a race from THAT on the motors. Could be just a select few guys that don't like to.

I was also told during Sprint week that the Vandeer Weerds don't like the big track at THAT. Which they won't be at a show like last night but goes to show some people might not be up for it.

Again all hear say.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/19/14, 9:42 PM   #3
i love dirt track racing

The last two years they have not run at that during isw.being from California they need to save engines for rest of week. Thanks to the 2 teams of California to make isw a special week.

1 member likes this post: Scooter
9/19/14, 9:46 PM   #4
curbservice

I have to say after working on both types of cars I don't have a preference one way or another, I just want to see a good show with passing. I've seen some really great races in both winged cars and non winged, a good race is a good race no matter what and a bad race while disappointing is still better than no racing at all. As far as comparing The World of Outlaws to USAC well here's where I stand, the United States Auto Club has never failed to disappoint me anybody that has spent any time competing with them knows what I'm talking about. USAC is just a brief stop for the most talented drivers on their way to NASCAR. The World of Outlaws is a destination because a driver on the Outlaw tour can make good living driving sprint cars with the Outlaws only. I can't think of one driver who makes a living sprint cars running only USAC races. The Outlaws just do it better, it's called the greatest show on dirt and it really is a show.

9/20/14, 8:42 AM   #5
Re: Thoughts and observations from Terre Haute
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
We were fortunate enough to attend both the WoO show and the USAC show Wednesday and Thursday night at the THAT. it was our first trip to THAT in 15 years or more. There have been a few responses and such to posts about both shows and the crowd each night etc. The following are MY observations and thoughts and are NOT intended to incite or "stir the pot"!;

1.) The crowd for the WoO show on Wed. was strong. There were a few empty seats in the covered grandstand, but not many, the open bleachers were almost full, and the infield had a very good crowd. Around us (we sat in the covered grandstand) there were a lot of people that said they attend only one or two sprint car races/year. When I asked why they chose this race, some said "because all the stars were gonna be here" while some others said " it's the World of Outlaws...they're the best aren't they?". I found the responses interesting.

2.) The crowd for the USAC show was IMO poor. The infield was virtually empty, and it was pick your seat in both the covered grandstand and bleachers at 7:00 PM. The crowd was mostly "hard core" race fans and demographically, decidedly older than the crowd at the WoO show the previous evening.

3.) Unfortunately, the track conditions for the two nights were opposite what each organization looks for. Again, my opinion!! I thought the track Thursday night was pretty dry and while the USAC drivers put on a GREAT show, a better track could have made for an awesome event. The track for the WoO show, which was reworked 3 times to try to smooth it out, was pretty wet and choppy and mostly one lane all night. Donny Schatz, as noted in another post, dominated all night, and passing throughout the field was at a minimum.

4.) The sound system at THAT sucks. It wasn't worth a darn 15 years ago, and still isn't. You can ALMOST hear the announcer when the cars aren't running...when they are, forget it.

5.) I was surprised at the depth and strength of the field for the WoO event...38 cars signed in, 36 competed. I was disappointed in the field for the USAC race. 22 cars signed in, 21 raced. Considering Indiana is considered the stronghold of non-wing racing, I wonder why only 22 cars showed up?

6.) There was a video board just to the W of the control tower. During the WoO race, the video board was used to show heat race lineups, lap count, lap times and final results. During downtimes, the STP logo was displayed. During the USAC show, the same video board showed a continuous loop of Honda commercials...period. Hmmm.

7.) Lastly....and AGAIN, I stress this is MY OPINION....non-wing sprint car cars and drivers on a half mile are like watching a ballet on a high wire. ALWAYS on the edge of disaster. In contrast, the WoO cars are MUCH more locked down, but they also averaged 15 mph faster at THAT, so the reaction times are significantly reduced. Saying the driver of one type of car is better or worse than a driver of the other is doing a disservice to both. Both are masters of their chosen craft, and carry their man parts around with wheel barrows!

Steve
It's posts and perspectives like this one that make IOW as great as it is. Like Bill said 100 times "IOW is what you make it, people."

Jerry

Winston Churchill

6 members like this post: cwfan08, dirt330, I Miss Manzy, Indy1808, jaybird, rclaridge
9/20/14, 2:37 PM   #6
john3g

Steve, this has to be the best post that I have read in a long long time on here. I read on another post regarding the Kokomo show being terrible or just plain awful, well, I was there and I have to tell you that I was inertained. I always am at WoO show. "SHOW". There it is, the word "SHOW". Even if the race isn't the greatest they step it up to make it a "SHOW" unlike other series. I had 3 newbies with me Tuesday and the only other sprint car event they have ever attended was at the USAC race at Eldora earlier this year. Their comparison was interesting. One of them had this to say,"If USAC would strive to promote the race from start to finish and continue to keep it built up throughout the night like the outlaws do then USAC would by far be the best out of the 2 do the racing. Unfortunately they just fall short of making their races an "event". This individual is the head of Sports Marketing for one of the biggest colleges in the country that is based out of South Bend. So for him to be impressed with the Outlaws spoke volumes to me. I wish I could have taken him to the Terre Haute WoO "SHOW" I think they would have enjoyed it.

1 member likes this post: welder
9/20/14, 3:40 PM   #7
sp6967

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3g View Post
Steve, this has to be the best post that I have read in a long long time on here. I read on another post regarding the Kokomo show being terrible or just plain awful, well, I was there and I have to tell you that I was inertained. I always am at WoO show. "SHOW". There it is, the word "SHOW". Even if the race isn't the greatest they step it up to make it a "SHOW" unlike other series. I had 3 newbies with me Tuesday and the only other sprint car event they have ever attended was at the USAC race at Eldora earlier this year. Their comparison was interesting. One of them had this to say,"If USAC would strive to promote the race from start to finish and continue to keep it built up throughout the night like the outlaws do then USAC would by far be the best out of the 2 do the racing. Unfortunately they just fall short of making their races an "event". This individual is the head of Sports Marketing for one of the biggest colleges in the country that is based out of South Bend. So for him to be impressed with the Outlaws spoke volumes to me. I wish I could have taken him to the Terre Haute WoO "SHOW" I think they would have enjoyed it.
usac is a sanctioning body not a promoter.its the promoters job to make a "event" out of it.

9/20/14, 5:15 PM   #8
ossuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
usac is a sanctioning body not a promoter.its the promoters job to make a "event" out of it.
So the WOO are a sanctioning body? Do they promote their product?

9/20/14, 5:15 PM   #9
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
While I agree USAC is a sanctioning body, and Lord knows, few promotors actually promote anymore, I also think the sanctioning body has a HUGE responsibility to assist the promotor in generating interest in the event. Press releases, social media releases, video for commercials etc, all have to come from the sanctioning body. And after attending both shows at THAT, I would agree that the WoO definitely tries to make it more of a "show" for the fans.

9/20/14, 5:19 PM   #10
john3g

So is the a WoO's. It wasn't the promoter that was on the PA system giving info on the series and pumping up the WoO stars and it was however the World of Outlaws. It wasn't the promoter with the big painted up series rigs selling souvenirs with all the colors and carnival like excitement and the WoO's control center rig working the tech area. It was the WoO's Series. When my friend walked into the parking lot and then into the pits my friend turned to me and said, "You can just feel it. There's an electricity in the air". Then he said the following that I thought was interesting,,"Even though I know nothing about this series, I can tell you that just by the atmosphere this is a special event".
The WoO's just do it right and it shows in the crowd count everywhere they go on any given night. I just wonder where USAC would be if they got as serious as the Outlaw organization?
Last edited by john3g; 9/20/14 at 7:20 PM. Reason: Added more

2 members like this post: 7xCoop, bigq11
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Thoughts and observations from Terre Haute