IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bacon wins at Terre Haute
9/19/14, 1:22 AM   #11
Re: Bacon wins at Terre Haute
Flatrightrear

I told a guy at the track tonight that going to an Outlaw show is like attending a rock concert while going to USAC is like a family picnic. Totally different atmospheres. I think the Outlaws being in Indiana so little anymore it helps to drive the bigger crowds. I went to most all of the Outlaw shows in Indiana from their inception and they would race two or three times a year at each track at Paragon, Bloomington, Haubstadt, maybe Putnamville, Kokomo had 'em and I could drive to Granite City three or four times a year as well and Pevely. Races are much rarer these days. We get spoiled with all the USAC shows around here and people may be saving their money up to hit Eldora this weekend. With 29 hrs. a week now considered a full-time job and more people on welfare than ever before and groceries going through the roof people are hurting for disposable income and that is a concern- maybe the main concern- as well.

6 members like this post: dctracy79, dirtball, flatout, jim goerge, racer-x, wrtracing
9/19/14, 1:29 AM   #12
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

I seen 2 Outlaw shows and 1 USAC race

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, DL2817
9/19/14, 2:18 AM   #13
Duane Hancock

Tonights races were 100 times better than Wed. I guess depends what u like as track because I thought it was VERY racey tonight, unlike last night. Wet isn't always good. If track was like that last night at WOO we may have seen a pass.

2 members like this post: mc/rider, Pat O'Connor Fan
9/19/14, 5:53 AM   #14
Jerry Shaw

Also, for the last two weekends on two of the local TV stations I saw ad, after ad, after ad for the WoO show and not a one for the USAC program.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

9/19/14, 7:24 AM   #15
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

It'd been 9 yrs since the outlaws had been there. Even ur avg fan was gonna come out to see if it was like they remembered it......

2 members like this post: Flatrightrear, jim goerge
9/19/14, 11:09 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

On top of that, you had work and school nights where the WOO went to 11p two nights in a row, Even the young pups would be worried about making it to work on friday and probably stayed home to get some rest.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
9/19/14, 11:12 AM   #17
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

The WoO is a known brand name. People who aren't sprint car fans have heard of them. They are proof that promotion, not competition, breeds success. We sprint car fans know that nonwing shows are far superior, but the lack of promotion of nonwing racing vs. years of promotion of the World of Outlaws brand is what generates large crowds for WoO shows and results in much smaller crowds for nonwing shows.

9/19/14, 11:28 AM   #18
solesky1

I was at the WoO show Wednesday but did not attend last night. Two reasons-1, I could only get off 1 night this week (and could only afford to attend one race) and 2. I like WoO much better than USAC. I agree with dirtnonwingfan that promotion, not competition, breeds success. I follow the WoO every night with their websites timing and scoring and listen to the live audio broadcast on dirtvision (for free). USAC has none of that. Unless you're at the track, my only option to follow the USAC races are to follow their twitter page or just check the results on the web the next morning. I'm aware that the quality of racing in USAC is better than WoO (according to people on here) but with no options for following race broadcast, hearing live driver interviews, etc., it's impossible to follow the series like it is the WoO.

6 members like this post: dirtball, Jerry Shaw, jim goerge, openwheelfan1, Pine, team3521
9/19/14, 1:10 PM   #19
dirtball

I wonder if the attendace would have been better for USAC if they would have run USAC Wed. nite and the WOO Thurs.?

9/19/14, 1:15 PM   #20
rclaridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
I wonder if the attendace would have been better for USAC if they would have run USAC Wed. nite and the WOO Thurs.?
I doubt it, the outlaws always have huge crowds!

1 member likes this post: dirtball
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bacon wins at Terre Haute