IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini sprint racing with midgets
9/19/14, 9:31 AM   #21
Re: Mini sprint racing with midgets
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
The IMRA rules allowed for a very even playing field between chain driven and shaft driven cars all year. Basically half the races were won by 1000cc R1 chain driven cars and the other half by shaft driven Chevy Ecotec powered cars. Just an FYI the IMRA will be adjusting their engine rules for chain driven cars to keep up with the surrounding Minisprint groups. Essentially, the chain drive cars will be limited to 1000cc with no porting of the cylinder head. Pistons, rods etc will be allowed to be replaced with aftermarket products.
This is EXACTLY what we are doing.. 1000cc only

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

9/19/14, 9:31 AM   #22
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Here in Florida we The Southern States Midgets run as Jones said a combo of 1000cc, Ecotec, Focus midgets. So far this year it is split right down the middle and works out very well. We do not allow "National" type engines and the weight difference is the equalizer. Our rule along with IMRA, BAM, Illi, Outlaw Midgets (in the NE) are very close. Tracks and other organizations should take a look at this to increase car count....The people the matter (FANS) have no clue if it is a chain driven or a quickchange car. All they care about is "GOOD" racing from us as ENTERTAINERS for their hard earn $$

Wayne

What if?? I show up with a motor with the cost of an Echo Tec but will run with a National Midget.???

WHAT IS YOUR GUYS HANG UP WITH JIM AND HIS 1200cc YELLOW ZONKER????? He built a beautiful race car and loves to race it.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/19/14 at 9:35 AM.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
9/19/14, 9:45 AM   #23
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
Wayne

What if?? I show up with a motor with the cost of an Echo Tec but will run with a National Midget.???

WHAT IS YOUR GUYS HANG UP WITH JIM AND HIS 1200cc YELLOW ZONKER????? He built a beautiful race car and loves to race it.

Honest Dad himself
Not gonna happen as per our rules...Ecotec is a "STOCK" long block. only things you can change is fuel deliver system/oil pan intake/ignition.....

1000cc is to comply with all the other...the 1200 will be allowed that are already competing but at a must heavier weight. We only have 1 here in Florida and he won every race he finished last year and it was the HP difference...could run threw the corners with him but had so much more torque and speed down the straight away....

1 member likes this post: DAD
9/19/14, 10:02 AM   #24
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Davis View Post
Not gonna happen as per our rules...Ecotec is a "STOCK" long block. only things you can change is fuel deliver system/oil pan intake/ignition.....

1000cc is to comply with all the other...the 1200 will be allowed that are already competing but at a must heavier weight. We only have 1 here in Florida and he won every race he finished last year and it was the HP difference...could run threw the corners with him but had so much more torque and speed down the straight away....
Wayne

The first time we raced with the full Midgets at Montpelier they had to come over and inspect our car to make sure it was not a full Midget. I think that perhaps The Montpelier rule package is closer to advancing what they call Sportsman Midget Racing. Than other groups. We love racing and would just as soon race an old school 1200cc car as a full Midget.

That 1200cc racer probably just out drove and handled the rest of the field and as most other racers you guys blamed the motor. Boy this discussion get old.

I want to race "HARD and CHEAP", and I can do it much better when there is no "Johny Do Gooder" trying to help me out with over stringent rules. We need guide lines and not Echo Tec friendly rules that puts everybody in the same box. If it is good let it rise to the top if it is not so good it will sink on it's own.

Don't make rules to keep old outdated equipment competitive and ban new and cutting edge technology, especially when you can find that new technology in the Junk Yard.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 9/19/14 at 11:02 AM.

9/19/14, 10:51 AM   #25
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Wayne

Honest Dad himself
I try not to take it personally; obviously most of the places where I'm outlawed have never seen me race
My take on it is this. For me, Montpelier has by far the most attractive rules package. Sure, the big boys take home most of the hardware, but is that really very different from the Ambrose Bro's dominating MMSA? Is expense the un-equalizer? Is it horsepower, cubic inches, cubic centimeters, or even weight? Or is it more to do with knowledge, experience, flat out skill? I'd wager Lynsey Ligouri or Tate Martz could take the Zonker close to the front at Montpelier and I'd be close to dead last in the 6RR or the 2 (although maybe fewer laps down, I hope ).
If car count is an indicator of a promotor doing the right thing, we had 27 in the pits last week; a healthy mix of National, Focus, Chain-drive and Kenyon Midgets. That's pretty good for a Midget show these days. My hope is, even with other groups doing other things this week, we get close to or better this week, even if it means I gotta try to fight my way into the "A"; a rising tide, yada, yada, yada.
Point is, most of us at this level are just in it to have fun. Let's have some fun this weekend, boys & girls.
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 9/19/14 at 11:05 AM.

3 members like this post: Bill May, DAD, Wayne Davis
9/19/14, 10:58 AM   #26
DAD

Jim

Keep them young kids out of your racer car change your oil and coolant regularly and that old "Boat Anchor" will last forever.

Honest Dad himself

9/19/14, 11:11 AM   #27
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Jim

Keep them young kids out of your racer car change your oil and coolant regularly and that old "Boat Anchor" will last forever.

Honest Dad himself
Zonker very Zen; oil and coolant are one...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

1 member likes this post: DAD
9/19/14, 11:15 AM   #28
DAD

Jim

Ahh>>>Soo

Honorable Dad himself

9/19/14, 1:06 PM   #29
Tom23

I don't get the fear of the 1200 either. We blew our R1 a couple of weeks ago and stuck in our 12 for a few races until we could get another 1000. My son much preferred the R1 and didn't like how heavy they they are in the wrong place. An old 1200 is no match for a later model 1000, especially without a wing.

9/19/14, 1:42 PM   #30
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom23 View Post
I don't get the fear of the 1200 either. We blew our R1 a couple of weeks ago and stuck in our 12 for a few races until we could get another 1000. My son much preferred the R1 and didn't like how heavy they they are in the wrong place. An old 1200 is no match for a later model 1000, especially without a wing.

We allow the older 1200....as of right now you can run the newer 1200 at a higher weight
hope that clarifies things...we allow up to a 1206...it is different weight....we have been looking into following suite with other organizations but I will not turn you away and figure out what need to be done to make all within reason on the same playing field....we even have on old Pontiac iron duke engine....all are competitive and NO ONE has even been lapped this season in a 15 lap feature..8 of those with no caution

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mini sprint racing with midgets