IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Westfall Sweeps Route 44 / Waynesfield BOSS Double
7/8/18, 4:44 PM   #1
Westfall Sweeps Route 44 / Waynesfield BOSS Double
sprinter14

Westfall Sweeps Route 44/Waynesfield BOSS Double

Matt Westfall from Ludlow Falls, Ohio claimed both nights of the BOSS border battle driving the Ray Marshall Motorsports 33M. Friday night at Route 44 Speedway in Liberty, Indiana, he started from the 7th spot. The next night, Matt would double that charge with a run from the 14th starting position to win the "Dick Spencer Memorial" at Greg and Tami Shob'e Waynesfield Raceway Park!

At Route 44 Speedway, twenty-seven non wing sprint cars signed in for battle on the tricky 1/4 mile oval. Heat race wins went to Chris Phillips, Cole Ketcham, Ty Tilton and Matt Westfall. Heat race #2 saw Kory Crabtree take a wild ride in the Lou Gagliardi / Dom's Gulf 77 machine. A wild backstretch flip saw Crabtree climb out okay, but done for the evening. The B-Main event was won by Dallas Hewitt.

Matt Cooley, from the pole, grabbed the early lead. Working lap #2, he spun to bring out the first caution flag. With a reworked race track from last week, the track crew struggled to keep enough moisture in the track. A red flag was displayed to water the track out of safety concerns for the competitors.

With one lap in the books, the race was resumed and 2014 title winner Mike Miller showed the way through lap 5. As the freshly watered track began to change, Michael Fischesser was able to make the top groove work to perfection as he rolled to the lead on lap 6. From that point on, it appeared he was headed for his first tour victory. However, working lapped traffic on lap 19, Fischesser wound up making hard contact with the turn 3 wall, eliminating him from the event.

Matt Westfall then inherited the lead and led the remaining laps, but not without some excitement. He, along with a few other cars, ran so high in turns 3 and 4, multiple cars climbed the wall with the right side tires, but managed to motor on. At the strip, the top 10 were Westfall, Garrett Abrams, Chris Phillips, Scotty Weir, Brandon Whited, Carmen Perigo, Ty Tilton, Joe Liguori, Travis Welpott and J.J. Hughes.

On Saturday, thirty-four cars signed in for competition. The four heat races were claimed by Landon Simon, Luke Hall, Mike Miller and Drew Rader. Steve Little took a violent ride in turn 3 and 4 during heat #1, but emerged unhurt. The twin B-Main events were won by Cole Ketcham and Scotty Weir.

The 25 lap "Dick Spencer Memorial" was paced early by polesitter Landon Simon who appeared to be on his way to an easy victory. The race's only red flag flew when Paul Dues got together with Mike Miller and flipped into turn #1. Dues' luck has been terrible as of late, but thankfully, he too emerged unhurt.

With the green back out and Simon still showing the way, it was Luke Hall taking aim at the top spot reeling in the leader. But back in the pack, on the move from 14th starting spot, was Westfall. Hall got to Simon first and the pair traded slide jobs, then entered heavy lapped traffic. The high speed chess match was on, slicing and dicing on the ragged edge. But the battle and the traffic allowed Westfall to close on the lead duo. With the white flag in the air, the trio was almost 3 wide for the lead into turn one. Westfall made just enough contact with Simon to send him around, bringing out the caution.

With scoring reverted to the last time across the line, Luke Hall now found himself the race leader with Westfall in second and a one lap shootout for the win. The final lap was a titanic throwdown in which Westfall managed to steal the win with a last corner pass, taking the Marshall 33M to its second win in as many nights, among a mixed crowd reaction of cheers and jeers.

Foolowing Westfall and Hall at the line were Steve Iriwn, Cody Gardner, and Dustin Ingle completing the top 5. The rest of the top 10 included Bill Rose, Drew Rader, Ty Tilton, Matt Cooley and Scotty Weir.

Complete results from both nights will be on the website soon.

Next up for BOSS is a visit to the MONSTER true half mile at Pittsburgh's PA Motor Speedway on Saturday, July 28th. The largest and widest track on the tour, it always produces some great racing.

BOSS wishes to extend a huge THANK YOU to both race tracks and their staffs for a great job. And to our many fine sponsors who make the tour what it is!

Heat #1 - TCB Speed ; Noblesville, IN
Heat #2 - Lias Tire / American Racer ; Indiana, PA
Heat #3 - Hoosier Racing Tires ; Lakeville, IN
Heat #4 - All Pro Aluminum Cylinder Heads ; Johnstown, OH
Heat #5 - Pate Manufacturing ; Hamilton, OH
B-Main - Hawkins Speed Shop ; Richmond, IN

Bonus Awards:
Hard Charger $50 - The Bridge Restaurant ; Sidney, OH
Hard Luck $50 - J & F Construction ; Bucyrus, OH
Steel Block $50 - Cowen truck Line ; Perrysville, OH
Perseverance $50 - Horne Performance ; Springfield, OH
Lucky Pill Draw $50 - Apple Metal Polishing ; Eldorodo, OH
Sweet Move $50 certificate - All Star Performance ; Watervliet, MI
Hoosier Bonus free tire - Hoosier Racing Tires ; Lakeville, IN
American Racer free Tire - American Racer Tires ; Indiana, PA

Thanks to our additional sponsors:
Cooley Cabinets ; Greenville, OH
Keizer Aluminum Wheels ; Orange City, IA
Saldana Racing Products ; Brownsburg, IN
McMillin Apiaries ; Wampum, PA
Superior Tank ; Beach City, OH
Griff's Racing Engines ; Sandusky, OH
Superior Bearing & Supply ; Bradenton, FL
The Blue Room Restaurant ; Kirby, OH

7/9/18, 12:15 AM   #2
Re: Westfall Sweeps Route 44 / Waynesfield BOSS Double
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

What happen between Matt Westfall and Landon Simon
Simon's going nuts on Facebook?

Not trying to start a pissing match. Just asking.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/9/18, 7:26 AM   #3
ROSCO

It was great tight racing all night. The good thing was that Landon did not get his butt run over after getting out of his car on the track. Also both drivers got to roll there cars back in the trailer. Great racing all night at Waynesfield.

4 members like this post: Barr, PJ Wright, RadRacer, tirespinner
7/9/18, 9:21 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Simon has video of what happened on his FB page,

Actually hated to see the hard feelings in the pits as all three racers were going all out.

7/9/18, 6:13 PM   #5
Sprintcarfanatic

Put a ring in the infield & let them have at it. Added entertainment for the fans. The thing that bothered me was Westfall egging him to come on over when Simon had about half a dozen people around him that would not let him.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/9/18, 7:11 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Egged? I seen Westfall try to talk to him but Simon's crew ran him off.

Like I said, I hated to see that.

2 members like this post: 2fast4u, PJ Wright
7/9/18, 9:25 PM   #7
Will Shunk

BOSS has some of the most entertaining racing in 2018! At Fremont a questionable but racing slide job by Luke Hall on the last corner with local racer, Tyler Gunn, resulted in cheers and jeers. At Waynesfield a traffic jammed top three are all over each other when Matt Westfall turns Landon Simon on the white flag lap, gets a white/checkers lap to pass Luke Hall and the cheers and jeers ring out. Bottom line the grandstands and the pits have real emotion and connection when BOSS come to town. Patiently waiting for August 25th @ Kokomo. Keep up the great work sprinter14!

5 members like this post: addictedtodirt, Newport13, PJ Wright, sprinter14, tirespinner
7/10/18, 12:29 AM   #8
R A K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Egged? I seen Westfall try to talk to him but Simon's crew ran him off.

Like I said, I hated to see that.
No, Charles, you did not see such a thing. Landon elected to go directly into his toterhome immediately upon arriving back in the pit area. His crew was focused on getting things loaded up when the Westfall's wanted to apologize for the contact. When they were instructed to leave the Simon pit area, they did not appreciate the manner in which they were asked to do so, and sh$t escalated.
End of story. On to the next one.

2 members like this post: tirespinner, wideopen24
7/10/18, 1:22 AM   #9
Charles Nungester

I know Landon went in his trailer. and I know Matt tried to get him to come out to talk. Bunch of yelling etc.

Like I said, I hated to see hard feeling and flarred tempers. Got nothing against any of you. You were all busting butt and racing hard. Up till the spin, I don't know if I seen two racers race as hard as that since last years Burg Midget week. Over half the race just going all out and swapping the lead.

Like you said, On to the next one.
Good luck to everyone.

7/10/18, 5:43 PM   #10
treecitytornado

Brings back memories of the Chili Bowl and what was said towards, Landon from Sammy. Didn't see the incident,so I'm definitely not saying who was at fault! Sounds like some damn hard racing, which is what it's all about!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Westfall Sweeps Route 44 / Waynesfield BOSS Double