Hodges
Roa

Feature
KTJ
McDougal
Grant
Leary
Mattox
Last edited by Mrs G; 7/26/19 at 10:28 PM.

7/27/19, 3:03 AM   #12
Jerry Shaw

There was a Heat #3 battle, towards the end of that race, for the final transfer spot, between Jason McDougal and Josh Hodges. It was such a riveting and intense rumble, that once it was over, it felt bad that one of these drivers was not going to be awarded a spot in the feature, right then and there. But McDougal was in the show and Hodges was going to have to wait until the semi to get another chance to earn his way in. And the track had made a statement, as well. It had just let us know that it was primed and ready for some fireworks come feature time.

And the feature didn't disappoint! Kyle Cummins playing chicken with the ledge of the track's red banks for the first 25 laps or so was probably the most entertaining run of the night. Kevin Thomas Jr and Jason McDougal's ability to change their game plans on the fly eventually resulted in those two being the ones involved in the final showdown. Brady Bacon getting rolled into the work area and then restarting in a race car that just 2 or 3 minutes earlier had been on fire and was so hot in the cockpit that he couldn't sit in it, provided another example of how much competing means to these guys. Once the smoke had cleared, again tonight, there was Brandon Mattox higher in the finishing order than a plethora of driver/race team combos that, on paper, were supposed to beat him. And the irony and heartbreak of no matter how many times Cummins played with fire by driving on the very rim of the track, it was when it burned the driver right in front of him that caused him to have to check up and ended his chances of being the winner tonight. In the end, KT was the man and had to fight so many hard battles with drivers that were really on their game tonight to earn this victory. Kyle was probably the show. And Jason showed again tonight that no matter what division it is, no matter what track it is, he's going to be a factor and a threat to win. Kudos to the track crew again, tonight. You guys really set the stage for these guys to go out there and bring down the house.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/27/19 at 3:35 AM.

7/27/19, 10:13 AM   #13
Re: Bloomington
Jerry Shaw

I'll give Henry, Levi and this whole crew their due. Between this great race (and that's just what it was) and Robert Ballou's thrilling dash through lapped traffic, while being pursued by the aforementioned Cummins, to win the Josh Burton Memorial and you have 2 of the best races I've seen this year. And Tyler Courtney's win in the 2018 Burton Memorial over Ballou and KT Jr was one of the best races I was lucky enough to be at last year.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/27/19 at 10:14 AM.

2 members like this post: Al Pierce, cmakin
7/27/19, 11:07 AM   #14
SoIllSprinter

Good race last night. Couldn’t make any of the first week, but the crowds to this week’s events have been outstanding. I really think now is the time for USAC to think bigger with its sprint car program.

4 members like this post: bighd0522, chrismattlin, tirespinner, TommyTipover
7/27/19, 12:26 PM   #15
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIllSprinter View Post
Good race last night. Couldn’t make any of the first week, but the crowds to this week’s events have been outstanding. I really think now is the time for USAC to think bigger with its sprint car program.
I thought it was a real good race. I don't get to Bloomington all that often, but last night was the best I have seen there in quite some time. Remember when USAC tries to think bigger, there are people who tend to bash them.

7/27/19, 12:55 PM   #16
Rpracing1

Hated to see Cushion bite Cummins. Think he would have won. Big show, big crowd. Track held up nicely. Have good time catching up with our Netherland friend Jeroen. Now on to the Crown Jewel of ISW19, TSS.

2 members like this post: Stephen Cording, tirespinner
7/27/19, 2:53 PM   #17
openwheelfan1

What a feature last night at Bloomington!! J-Mac drove his butt off, but on that last lap, KTJ hit the turn 1 cushion perfectly and got a monster run off and passed J-Mac cleanly. If you didn’t like that feature race then you clearly are NOT a sprint car fan!

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
7/27/19, 4:43 PM   #18
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Remember when USAC tries to think bigger, there are people who tend to bash them.
Since you brought it up, would you agree that some of those bigger decisions that are as you say bashed, worth criticism? Flo is a disaster compared to what coverage USAC was given say just last year. I know you get what you pay for and that was a red flag right from the start. The gold crown series (remember that disaster) was a less than stellar decision. The severity of the Ballou decision will be a thorn in their side going forward. So yes they make blunders Brent. Get over it. They also somehow are still in charge of the best sprint car racing in the country. Hopefully they don’t mess it up. I’ll give you credit that you look thru rose colored glasses when judging this group, but I agree a bigger smarter vision might get these teams the money they deserve. Sadly there again was not one of these marquee Sprintweek events paying more than a normal purse. I’m unaware if the champ gets more than a rocking chair for busting their ass for 8 out of 10 days. If they do is it at least what a race purse is worth?? Sorry Brent if this is bashing but I live in Pa and the speedweek we had was 9 days with NO days off and only a couple of events paid 5gs. The rest were 7500,10g, or 12g to win. There was no sanction and the champ won 5gs for a title. No huge sponsor like NOS either. Lots of money paid in Speedway for salaries and still only this purse for the best sprint car racing in the country. Sorry if this is bashing but I feel the leadership could do better for these guys or maybe it’s time for new leadership. Enjoy the final nite of ISW as I’m green with envy that I live 800 miles away and can’t be there.

5 members like this post: addictedtodirt, bighd0522, Speedwrench, spicoli, tirespinner
7/27/19, 5:04 PM   #19
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
the best sprint car racing in the country.

2 members like this post: PIT CART, tirespinner
7/27/19, 7:10 PM   #20
Kingz

Great race! Speaking of Bloomington and Sprintweek in general- I can’t believe the inconsiderate people that stretch blankets, tape, etc. enough to seat 6 or 8 people early in the day then 2 or 3 show up and sit there. I see this happening a lot, in fact right in front of me last night at Bloomington. I don’t know where all the fans went who were walking through and seeing all the “saved” seats. Do we need seat police?

2 members like this post: Eatin Dirt, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington