IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gateway Dome test
12/17/17, 12:30 PM   #21
flagboy55

Nothing can replace the chili bowl, too much history attached to that great event. Kinda like the dream and the world 100, dream doesn't have the history of the world's. However if done properly, Gateway could be bigger than the chili bowl. Obviously this venue could hold more than double the fans. I don't know the capacity but I'm guessing double the CB capacity is an understatement. I like the fact that everyone that wants to come can, and could easily become the largest attended midget race in modern history. Just think about 20 or 30 thousand of us at a midget race. And really, no one needs a support class. I would think if properly promoted, you should be able to get 100 plus midgets without much problem. The key is to get the same names and quality that race at the chili bowl to commit to this race. I don't know if it will happen but I sure think it should. As far as sprints if they don't quite fit,don't push it. As proof from DuQuoin and Tulsa, the midgets are fine on their own

1 member likes this post: jdull99
12/17/17, 4:38 PM   #22
Re: Gateway Dome test
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

I saw after looking at the late model results from last night they mentioned that next year's Gateway Nationals will be November 29th, 30th and December 1st. They might try to run the following weekend and just keep the clay down. We will see!!

Bruce Eckel

2 members like this post: jdull99, smith19
12/17/17, 10:26 PM   #23
smith19

we will see bruce. I was at st. pete for the outlaw show and the nascar guys were supposed to run sprints. they couldn't come up with the money for that either. the inside wall sure tore up a lot of cars...

12/17/17, 10:47 PM   #24
R A K

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Nothing can replace the chili bowl, too much history attached to that great event. Kinda like the dream and the world 100, dream doesn't have the history of the world's. However if done properly, Gateway could be bigger than the chili bowl. Obviously this venue could hold more than double the fans. I don't know the capacity but I'm guessing double the CB capacity is an understatement. I like the fact that everyone that wants to come can, and could easily become the largest attended midget race in modern history. Just think about 20 or 30 thousand of us at a midget race. And really, no one needs a support class. I would think if properly promoted, you should be able to get 100 plus midgets without much problem. The key is to get the same names and quality that race at the chili bowl to commit to this race. I don't know if it will happen but I sure think it should. As far as sprints if they don't quite fit,don't push it. As proof from DuQuoin and Tulsa, the midgets are fine on their own
Amen.
I love the fact that "everyone that wants to come can".
This venue most definitely could give the CB a run for its money, if properly promoted.
I've often said that the CB had outgrown itself. Just my thought.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, jdull99
12/18/17, 1:47 AM   #25
btg1963

I agree Flagboy55, however, be careful how much faith you put into history or tradition in our sport. I would NEVER wish any harm to any event, but history is strewn with the remnants of traditional and historical events. Just a few examples... NASCAR... Nashville Fairgrounds, North Wilksboro, Rockingham. IndyCar... Milwaukee, Ontario, Nazareth. USAC Sprints... Any asphalt track, notably Salem and Winchester. Dirt Late Models still have a Dirt Track World Championship, but has it lost it's luster since it's no longer at Pennsboro, WV. And of course the Hut 100 and NOW the Belleville Nationals to the USAC Midgets.

All of this was not said to discourage anyone or any fan, but the facts are, times are a changin'. Tradition doesn't mean crap to the MAJORITY of the younger generations. I'm not as afraid of losing an event to another venue as I am to losing our sport all together.

Just a week ago, I roamed the halls of PRI. Aside from the long lines of young men lined up to get autographs from calendar girls, the most popular booths were full of young people waiting to get a view or turn at the latest in iRacing. This scares the bajeebers out of me!! Throw everything out the window! Sorry for referring to NASCAR once again, but we aren't too far away from a road course race replacing an oval race at Charlotte. What's next???? Whooptie do's on the backstretch at Daytona?? Just seeing cars run a race isn't exciting enough for these kids.

All we can do is support our vendors and promoters. Support our favorite events as long as we have them. One of the most encouraging thing I've read tonight is how well folks enjoyed DuQuoin in spite of St. Louis. By the way, don't get too worried about losing events to the Dome.... Since St. Louis lost the football team, chances are, the days of the dome are numbered. Auto racing one or two weekends a year, one weekend of Monster Trucks, and one weekend of SuperCross won't save it.

5 members like this post: 2fast4u, bigq11, flagboy55, interpreter66, jdull99
12/18/17, 9:58 AM   #26
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I would not be too scared about iRacing, it's a fairly new industry and it's already produced a number of drivers who have learned from Sim racing and stepped up to the real thing. With the number of dirt track being added to Sim racing it would be smart for the dirt racing series to embrace this, maybe even hold some competition where the winner gets a test in a Sprint Car or Late Model. Kids today are so tied to computers and smart phones, racing needs to do what it can to embrace and attract their attention because the whole world is vying for attention from them, and if we don't get in the game we lose!
Last edited by davidm; 12/18/17 at 12:42 PM.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, Kydehart, Task Force, tj39
12/18/17, 6:37 PM   #27
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
I would not be too scared about iRacing, it's a fairly new industry and it's already produced a number of drivers who have learned from Sim racing and stepped up to the real thing. With the number of dirt track being added to Sim racing it would be smart for the dirt racing series to embrace this, maybe even hold some competition where the winner gets a test in a Sprint Car or Late Model. Kids today are so tied to computers and smart phones, racing needs to do what it can to embrace and attract their attention because the whole world is vying for attention from them, and if we don't get in the game we lose!
Especially since they also sponsor actual real life racecars. 👍🏻 Good for them.

12/18/17, 7:16 PM   #28
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

One question, and one follow up.

Can the Dome hold 300-400 cars/teams? Can it do it safely? {It is St. Louis and toters have been broke into both years.}

4 members like this post: erich45, flagboy55, ISF, luckybuc97
12/18/17, 7:23 PM   #29
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by btg1963 View Post
I agree Flagboy55, however, be careful how much faith you put into history or tradition in our sport. I would NEVER wish any harm to any event, but history is strewn with the remnants of traditional and historical events. Just a few examples... NASCAR... Nashville Fairgrounds, North Wilksboro, Rockingham. IndyCar... Milwaukee, Ontario, Nazareth. USAC Sprints... Any asphalt track, notably Salem and Winchester. Dirt Late Models still have a Dirt Track World Championship, but has it lost it's luster since it's no longer at Pennsboro, WV. And of course the Hut 100 and NOW the Belleville Nationals to the USAC Midgets.

All of this was not said to discourage anyone or any fan, but the facts are, times are a changin'. Tradition doesn't mean crap to the MAJORITY of the younger generations. I'm not as afraid of losing an event to another venue as I am to losing our sport all together.

Just a week ago, I roamed the halls of PRI. Aside from the long lines of young men lined up to get autographs from calendar girls, the most popular booths were full of young people waiting to get a view or turn at the latest in iRacing. This scares the bajeebers out of me!! Throw everything out the window! Sorry for referring to NASCAR once again, but we aren't too far away from a road course race replacing an oval race at Charlotte. What's next???? Whooptie do's on the backstretch at Daytona?? Just seeing cars run a race isn't exciting enough for these kids.

All we can do is support our vendors and promoters. Support our favorite events as long as we have them. One of the most encouraging thing I've read tonight is how well folks enjoyed DuQuoin in spite of St. Louis. By the way, don't get too worried about losing events to the Dome.... Since St. Louis lost the football team, chances are, the days of the dome are numbered. Auto racing one or two weekends a year, one weekend of Monster Trucks, and one weekend of SuperCross won't save it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Let's not forget that unless you are born into racing, at this day and age it is very hard to break in and be successful. Start up cost from nothing would be insane. Unless you're just rich anyway it's not worth it to do it for yourself. Maybe it is to do it for your kid at a very young age. (Mike Larson anyone?)
So IRacing has a VERY big base to tap into of folks that would love to race but simply can't put resources together to put a decent car on track. You can play, have fun, and fulfill aspirations that way.

In that sense it's not these d@mn kids killing it; just cost in general again.

As pointed out, on asphalt side it has served as a way to get noticed and get a test in a real car; or to just be a better driver. I think it is smart to embrace; and if you can set up a way for Dirt Series X Champion get a test in Kenny Wallace's modified or something that'd be awesome.

3 members like this post: bighd0522, davidm, Task Force
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gateway Dome test