IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
12/4/17, 10:50 AM   #31
JMA1181

While a Sprint and Midget show may be at the top of your list and many others, it is feasible but a far stretch for anyone to put their neck on the line for. 20 sprints and 20 midgets don’t pay the bills. Use some real world numbers instead of your fairy tale. Using a Kokomo sprint car payout and Montpelier’s Midget payout, both taken directly from their websites, purse money for FEATURE EVENTS ONLY totals $11,690. That is based on starting 20 cars in each feature, includes no non-transfer money or any additional prize money. Let’s assume each car brings a driver and three crew members at $30 per pit pass totaling $4,800. We will also assume each car brings four fans per night at $15 general admission totaling $2,400. That leaves $4,490 left to pay the purse of these two races. Given a $15 general admission ticket, that would require an additional 300 fans.

Keep in mind, this pays the feature purse only. Let’s not forget about the track lease, insurance, workers, utilities, marketing, taxes, facility maintenance, equipment to work the track, paying someone to work the track, concession stand equipment, trash service, and so on.

While additional classes may not fit your schedule, they are a necessity. They bring in additional revenue for the track with paying customers both in the pits and in the stands. They also can have a positive impact on the feature events you would like to watch. Smaller, skinnier tires can bring back moisture in the track and help widen the track. While I am not a fan of them, they do serve a purpose. I also don’t like bees, flies, wind, or rain but they serve a purpose as well.
Last edited by JMA1181; 12/4/17 at 10:52 AM.

12/4/17, 11:19 AM   #32
Re: New Promoter Coming to Gas City?
98arpy

This person gets it.

6 members like this post: Augie, davidm, jim goerge, luckybuc97, stp6237, WinglessLovers
12/4/17, 12:16 PM   #33
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Call me crazy, but I like watching the support classes....most of the time. I like watching someone come up through the ranks of racing on their way to the top. Remember that guy/girl running a Hornet or 270cc Micro might be a top driver in the big leagues one day.

12/4/17, 1:55 PM   #34
mlamb

While no one likes multiple yellow flags and long drawn out races. I've left the racetrack many a night where frequently the super stock or modified feature was the best feature of the night. And yes I went to watch sprint cars.
Another point that's yet to be mentioned is. Look at all the guys whom graduated from the support classes to sprint cars. Brady Short Jeff Bland Jesse Cramer Josh Burton Ray Humphries all started racing in a support division. Shelby Miles also had a brief stint in a sprint car. I've just mentioned only a few. There are many that've done it.
While not all have stayed in a sprint car for whatever reason, that's just racing.
I'll accept whatever divisions it takes for another dirt track to begin racing again.
Hope it all works out for GC.

5 members like this post: Dirtfan, jim goerge, luckybuc97, PJ Wright, WinglessLovers
12/4/17, 2:16 PM   #35
grantman

Gas City needs to do something with there bleacher problem.

1 member likes this post: 1021gpa
12/4/17, 3:45 PM   #36
Spi-nex

It's not the support classes fault for constant time delays. It boils down to the track having proper rules & discipline to deal with problem areas. I once parked the entire 4 banger feature in the infield at a track I worked for and let the next division run their race because after three attempts to start the race they couldn't behave. Once they were allowed on track again guess what? Green to checker with no issues. So I think it's completely wrong to look down on other divisions and blaming them for keeping your favorite premier class off track. JMO

6 members like this post: captrat, Daisy's dad, erich45, mlamb, nathans1012, PJ Wright
12/4/17, 3:52 PM   #37
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Delete... not needed
Last edited by brsteg; 12/4/17 at 3:54 PM.

12/4/17, 4:35 PM   #38
i love dirt track racing

Hell I don't have a problem with all the other guys racing events. I will just go down and support the track promoters and the employees and buy a burger and a beer and talk to some great racing fans. But when I hear the sprint cars fired I am heading to my seat. Have fun and enjoy all the great things that we all love. Thanks.

12/4/17, 5:33 PM   #39
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantman View Post
Gas City needs to do something with there bleacher problem.
Way to keep things positive. Just for the record, they purchased a new grandstand several years back. The town would not grant them permission to build it. I am sure this thread will do nothing to encourage anyone to sign a lease.

12/4/17, 6:31 PM   #40
R A K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Way to keep things positive. Just for the record, they purchased a new grandstand several years back. The town would not grant them permission to build it. I am sure this thread will do nothing to encourage anyone to sign a lease.
Hmm Brent, the information you just provided above would discourage me from entertaining any lease.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, OnTheHammer, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New Promoter Coming to Gas City?