IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ISW Payouts
7/11/17, 11:38 AM   #11
Re: ISW Payouts
sprinter31

Talking about payouts if you haven't, you need to listen to the podcast on Open Red with Karl Kinser, he pretty much sums it up. It is a great interview.

2 members like this post: koolaid89, tirespinner
7/11/17, 1:32 PM   #12
treecitytornado

But you still get the $100 tow money if you miss the show, even if you're not a member. They do subtract $100 from your A-Main pay though.

2 members like this post: koolaid89, tirespinner
7/11/17, 1:45 PM   #13
hairracer44

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
But you still get the $100 tow money if you miss the show, even if you're not a member. They do subtract $100 from your A-Main pay though.
The short time that I ran out west with the SCRA, Ron Shuman would hand most of the guys $100 before they even got on the track for tow money and then pay you for what you did on the track. We need to find some more promoters like Ron and Paula. Let see force me to buy a specific brand of tire and put them on my car because the tire company paid you and give me $100 tow money oh golly gee thanks.

7/11/17, 7:12 PM   #14
cshuman

"Kazarian told me they need to sell 2,600 adult admissions to make a profit for a sprint car show at Perris Auto Speedway, that was in 1998."

That sounds like a pretty exaggerated statement by Mr. K.

3 members like this post: DHayes818, Kydehart, tirespinner
7/12/17, 8:46 AM   #15
wingless1

If an adult admission was say $15 in 1998, I don't know what the actual numbers were, but for conversation sake we start at $15. That's $39,000......start deducting operating expenses from there and see what you come up with. Insurance, track maintenance, track employees, electrical, water, advertising, work your way down to the paying of the purse whatever that may have been at the time for an SCRA show and see where you end up. Why would he exaggerate in a casual discussion about the cost of putting on a race at his track?

2 members like this post: tirespinner, TommyBahama
7/12/17, 9:36 AM   #16
dsc1600

Are sprint week shows identical purses to that of normal Usac purses? If so, the A main purse is around 21k, plus tow money and B main I presume.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/12/17, 2:49 PM   #17
cshuman

Haha, have you ever heard a promoter say, "man, we are just raking in the cash?"

So if you are talking roughly $40,000 at the front gate, and I believe an SCRA show at the time was roughly $20,000 (I think less, but let's figure high) he's well into the black and you haven't counted the back gate yet. I understand there are plenty of exspenses that most don't think about, but I just think that original statement was a little exaggerated.

2 members like this post: sprinter14, tirespinner
7/12/17, 4:52 PM   #18
wingless1

Point well taken, and lets be honest the Kazarian's are not your local small town track owner/promoter, that being said, the small market track owners are in a huge battle for the entertainment dollar. Any midget or sprint car owner today should be honest and admit that the cost of their hobby is on them, in most cases making money off a race track should be the last thing they are counting on.

2 members like this post: cshuman, tirespinner
7/12/17, 5:11 PM   #19
hoosier race fan

When it comes to complaining about expenses and revenues, racers and farmers have a lot in common. Talking about how bad they've got it when it comes to their income, then roll around in a quarter or half million dollars worth of equipment. Gotta be rough. I don't know of too many massive car haulers that help win races, or harvesters that help the corn and soybeans grow. I guess both provide a comfy place to sit and complain about the weather.

3 members like this post: 2fast4u, IndianaSprintFan, tirespinner
7/12/17, 6:26 PM   #20
R A K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Are sprint week shows identical purses to that of normal Usac purses? If so, the A main purse is around 21k, plus tow money and B main I presume.
ISW nightly feature payout
Attached Images
IMG_1677.PNG (80.3 KB, 46 views)

2 members like this post: PIT CART, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > ISW Payouts