IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora Ineptitude....incredible
4/3/10, 1:49 AM   #11
Re: Eldora Ineptitude....incredible
Dustin Proffitt

I like how the announcer was all hyped about the Saturday night race coming up in less than 20 hours. Like they're gonna get it together. Good luck getting anyone to show up for that. They'll be lucky to get it fixed by the Prelude. I would hope there will be some serious ass chewing going on tonight. I thought I saw Tony's uncle there tonight. Wonder if Tony was there in one of those suites? I was able to get my money back though which was good although the announcer never actually said you could over the PA. Only that you could use the value of your ticket towards another ticket ANYTIME this season.

4/3/10, 1:57 AM   #12
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

Dave was on the PA but I could not hear what he said. 250 miles round trip for me so like a lot of other people a lot of money spent tonight.....but the pizza steaks are still delicious and got a few souvenirs....time to rest up and head to Vernon....

4/3/10, 1:59 AM   #13
gas city gal

Dedfinitely agree with terrible track conditions and the amount and size of the rocks was scarry. Also heard coffee pot broken in pit - no spare (how much money was lost - let alone not serving your customers)???? A pit crew stated they couldn't get gas for cars as the pump stopped working but it would be fixed tomorrow - it turned out it wasn't a big issue as they did not race but........ To top it off, one option after races were cancelled you could get your money back. When I went up to window with my pit bracelet I was told I would only get $18 (regular admission ticket price) instead of the $25 I paid for pit pass. I told them if they gave regular admission ticket holders back all their money that I wasn't leaving window until I got my $25. After informing others that were still in line they wouldn't get their pit pass money back, some anger was brewing. I said I wanted to talk with whoever was in charge. They did go talk to someone and then they were allowed to give money back if your bracelet was a certain color. They asked if I bought my bracelet from USAC - I told them all I knew was that I purchased my bracelet at the Eldora race track for $25. WHAT A NIGHT OF NONRACING....TONY HAS SOME MAJOR PROBLEMS THAT NEED TO BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY - LIKE BEFORE TOMORROW'S RACE!!!

4/3/10, 3:04 AM   #14
sloppyjoe

Can't believe you typed all of that out. Go back to Gas City and be happy.

4/3/10, 3:24 AM   #15
Jerry Shaw

To say this night was bizarre would be the understatement of the year. I've seen a lot of races and till tonight, had never seen one dusted out. Have seen many a track spend money for something to improve their racing surface, but have never seen an "upgrade" completely blow up in a track's face, like it did tonight. From pillar to post, this night at the track was like being trapped in an episode of the Twilight Zone. From the sudden explosion of dust that was so severe that it looked like it was a computer-generated effect, from a disaster flic. To the looks of stunned disbelief plastered on seasoned, grizzled lifelong race fans. Ones who have seen everything, a thousand times. IMO, the fact that it was so over-the-top and excruciatingly bad, helped bring to light something that exists in this sport, but we don't get a chance to see demonstrated all that often. That is that the majority of those who follow this type of racing, when push comes to shove, are pretty good natured. And have a sense of humor. Because many a mob that size, when dealt the hand we were tonight, would have reacted differently. It could have been ugly. But it really wasn't. Most weren't happy by the way the night went, but just left in disbelief. And weren't so mad that they couldn't stop to joke with, commiserate with and say goodbye to their racing friends, as they were leaving.

Myself, I'm not done with Eldora. I'll be back. But not until they have solved this mess.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 4/3/10 at 3:42 AM.

4/3/10, 7:31 AM   #16
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
i was sitting in turn 4 just below the suites and during hot laps the entire track just disappeared. Pretty sad. Usac made the correct decision. I also heard that a lot of rocks were getting kicked up during hot laps too. My guess is if it even sprinkles there tomorrow its a rain out. I cant see how they can fix that track in 20 hours especially if a line of storms come through.
do you think they should change the date just for dust?

4/3/10, 7:52 AM   #17
Barr

The only way for this track to improve is to get rid of Larry Kemp. He is useless, and has not done one thing to improve this place. They had the same problem 4 years ago on opening night with USAC. Do you all remember that night? ( it wasn't a dust storm) but they had ruts in the track so big it looked like a motorcross track. Same problem new clay and wood chips (Kemps idea!!!) Tony Wake up!

2 members like this post: SteveD, SUPERDUKE
4/3/10, 7:53 AM   #18
NERFBAR

glad i stayed home also...i havent been since smoke took it over......smoke = dustbowl

4/3/10, 8:05 AM   #19
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barr View Post
The only way for this track to improve is to get rid of Larry Kemp. He is useless, and has not done one thing to improve this place. They had the same problem 4 years ago on opening night with USAC. Do you all remember that night? ( it wasn't a dust storm) but they had ruts in the track so big it looked like a motorcross track. Same problem new clay and wood chips (Kemps idea!!!) Tony Wake up!
If memory serves me correctly, Larry Kemp came from a pavement track background. I don't believe that he had any dirt track experience prior to taking over at Eldora. Might help explain why the track is in the shape that it is in?

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4/3/10, 9:23 AM   #20
SPD 37

If last night had happened at any other race track USAC would not go back, but since it's TSR and Eldora they will return. People shouldn't go back to Eldora.

During the drivers meeting a USAC official said, "about the track conditions, it's no one's fault" You have got to be kidding me!!

SPD 37

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora Ineptitude....incredible