IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Round 2 of ISW at Kokomo Speedway Saturday July 12th
7/13/14, 12:18 AM   #81
PAW

What a night of racing!! From hot laps to the checker flag of the main....

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Cel Cripe, fish, sprintsrule
7/13/14, 12:28 AM   #82
cjm3535

Anyone else wish all 7 nights could be at kokomo lol?

7/13/14, 1:58 AM   #83
Re: Round 2 of ISW at Kokomo Speedway Saturday July 12th
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justigit View Post
That's the funniest thing I have heard in a long time Jerry I think you probably got jump started after that feature!! Another great one and at a blazing fast pace. Congrats to Dave on the win and great job by Justin Grant who ran the top like the pro he was following and made it a thriller at the checkers!!
Jump start complete! In our sport there are very few things that can compare to Dave Darland running the wall at Kokomo! In this car, especially. When he's on his game and the top is there, he's damn near impossible to beat. The first ten laps of tonight's feature looked like a rerun of the last Smackdown, as Dave quickly sawed through the Top 5, from his 6th starting position and just began the checkout process. Kevin Thomas, at that time was in 2nd place, Hunter Schuerenberg in 3rd. The obvious other car on the move was Justin Grant. After Grant cleared Hunter and Kevin, he set sail for the leader. A few laps after that, the Darland rout had hit a snag. Little by little, as they both darted through the back markers, he was being reeled in by Grant. Dave was just standing on the gas, but by that time the top had started to slick off slightly and several times it looked like the front runner might stick it in the wall. These close calls thwarted his momentum and it was obvious that Justin was going to probably have a shot at this thing, before everything was said and done. With less than 10 laps left, he caught Darland and at that point, it was on! As they both weaved in and out of traffic, Justin was just glued to Dave. With a few laps left, he took his first shot, a slider in turn one. Darland easily countered and grabbed the lead back. I think the second time was the lap after that and it looked like that one had stuck. What Dave Darland did after that just said he wasn't going to lose on this night. He charged down the backstretch and just sped faster into three than Grant did, diving below him and taking the lead back going into that turn. A lot of drivers would have ended up in the catch fence if they tried what he had just done! Grant wasn't done yet, though. He chased Dave down the backstretch after the white flag was thrown. As they went into 4, Dave bobbled a little bit, Justin made a dive for the flagstand and was just barely edged out by Darland. What a race!! Dave Darland's very tough to beat here, when he's on his game, but Justin Grant is an exciting driver to watch and just flat went after Dave Darland, tonight. If he could have completed 30 laps in a little less than a HALF A SECOND less, he would have gotten the job done.

As I was driving away, I realized I was just covered in dust, as I was sitting just to the left of the flagstand, in the 3rd row. For the previous handful of minutes I had no idea I was even being hit by dust. Such is the power of focus.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/13/14 at 11:53 AM.

7/13/14, 4:31 AM   #84
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm3535 View Post
Anyone else wish all 7 nights could be at kokomo lol?
Heck no and theres nothing wrong with Kokomo. Each track can be great and thats why I like it at seven different ones.

2 members like this post: mc/rider, rclaridge
7/13/14, 9:29 AM   #85
BrentTFunk

I sit in the 5th row every week. I prefer low to high

2 members like this post: fish, Geoff Kaiser
7/13/14, 9:57 AM   #86
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I sit in the 5th row every week. I prefer low to high
I see where you sit and always wondered why you didn't sit up a little higher?

7/13/14, 10:05 AM   #87
illinisprintfan

Windom is leading the Sprint Week points, but isn't he and Walker banned from racing at Bloomington this year? Or has that been resolved?

7/13/14, 11:57 AM   #88
racefanindy

What a great night of racing!! I don't think you could have fit a piece of paper between DD's right rear and the wall coming off turn 4 on his pole lap! Congrats to Dave on a terrific night. Book release, fast time & feature win.

7/13/14, 1:01 PM   #89
daves81

what is that about.I didnt hear about it.just curious

7/13/14, 1:03 PM   #90
daves81

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves81 View Post
what is that about.I didnt hear about it.just curious
I meant the Windom and Bloomington deal

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Round 2 of ISW at Kokomo Speedway Saturday July 12th