IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Public Thanks to Roger Tapy
8/3/11, 6:55 PM   #1
Public Thanks to Roger Tapy
Joe Whisler

Hey everybody-

I just wanted to let you all in on something that I think warrants a public thanks. This is another example of our racing community taking care of its own. And it’s yet another case of Roger Tapy being so generous.

This being my first year moving to sprint cars from stock cars, I had to get a 4-wheeler. After my original plan fell through, I called Roger to see if he still had one that he’d be interested in selling. He said yes and told me where to go pick it up. I asked him if I could use it that weekend and bring him a check the following week, and he told me to use it for a few weeks and then come see him. When I did, Roger said to just make monthly payments so that it would be mine by the end of the season, and that’s where we started.

When I made my first payment at the end of May, I asked Roger if I could buy some tools and a wheel and tire from him that day. He said sure, just send him a list of what I got and we’d work out a price and again make payments. At this point, I’m beside myself at his generosity. I want to acknowledge his help by putting something on my car, but I’m a little afraid to until I can run better and better represent him.

June 24th, I stopped and made another payment on the 4 wheeler, and asked Roger about giving him some money for the parts and tools I got from him. Knowing I had only made 2 features to that point, he told me to go make some money first. He knew where there were. I shook his hand and thanked him. I didn’t know what else to say.

June 25th was when I fractured my back at Putnamville, and as a lot of you know, I’m on the sidelines for a while.

Last week, I had my dad drive me over to Truckers so I could make my monthly 4 wheeler payment and see if Roger wanted to talk about paying on those parts and tools. I guess I should’ve known better. When I walked into the receptionist’s area, Roger met me there and said, “Put that away!” referring to my check book I had out. He wouldn’t even let me make my monthly 4 wheeler payment. Only thing I could do was look at the receptionist and say, “I know better than to try and talk him out of it.” She nodded and said, “Yep. He’s a pretty good guy.” Understatement of the year.

Everybody sees R&B Tuckers on Clauson’s car, Hunter’s car, Bill Rose’s non-wing #10T, and Jerry Coons, Jr.’s ride. Those are the higher profile guys and everybody sees those and knows Roger and Barb are still involved in our sport. Also know that they are helping the little guys. Speaking in dollars and cents, what may seem like a small amount may also be the difference in whether or not we can race.

I did get Roger’s permission to thank him via IOW. I can’t believe that is enough, but I wanted to share my thoughts with all of you. If you see Roger and Barb at a race, walk up and shake their hands and thank them for what they do.

8/3/11, 9:14 PM   #2
Re: Public Thanks to Roger Tapy
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Another reason why I always say that short track racing is such a special place. Thanks for sharing.

Also hope your recovery is going well and hope to see you soon at the races.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

8/3/11, 9:21 PM   #3
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Roger & Barb Tapy are two of the best people anyone could hope to meet and call friends. This doesn't surprise me at all, their passion for Sprint Car Racing is maybe second to none.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

1 member likes this post:
8/3/11, 10:47 PM   #4
Texan

One word

"Awesome"

8/4/11, 12:56 AM   #5
racinround

Great story of generosity. Good luck on your recovery Joe!

8/4/11, 12:11 PM   #6
R&B

Joe Thanks for the Kind Words Its not as deserving as you have made It, Barb an I both couldnt stay out of Racing Completely With the Sale of the Truckers Last year we had to shut down Running The # 10 / Whiteside car Operation Then there was still something missing in our weekend Program So we decided to help a couple of teams with what we had left in Parts an Equipement. I Still have 2 complete Haulers an a complere Car ( Rose is using presently ) I would make someone a Sweet Deal in selling or Barter trading on A Garage

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Public Thanks to Roger Tapy