IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indianapolis 500 Thoughts (Spoilers)
5/29/23, 8:08 PM   #11
DJlives

What percentage of that huge throng do you figure left the race with a smile on their face?

1 member likes this post: Stevensville Mike
5/30/23, 3:14 AM   #12
Re: Indianapolis 500 Thoughts (Spoilers)
jdull99

Not sure the % but anyone that wasn't a Marcus Erickson fan or a purist who doesn't think there shoulda been any red flags unless there was a major injury or weather situation. I think the % is higher of those who don't wana see it end under yellow. I preferred it the way it was Sunday. Reminded me of the last USAC officiated race there and all the memories I had of watching that final lap shoot-out (it was on a Tuesday, and thankfully my High School gym teacher let me tune in a rabbit ear TV in the work out room. Forever thankful!). I'm happy they kept it 500 miles. Maybe they should have rules posted ahead of time when and how the reds will come out and procedures...then anyone that isn't happy with that can just not go...I'd like to think that list would be pretty small. Assume most went to enjoy the event, however it played out.
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4 members like this post: bighd0522, Offroadrace_814, opnwhlmnd, Stevensville Mike
5/30/23, 3:26 AM   #13
Blackduce

Anybody remember after the 500. The next weekend we ran the Milwaukee Mile. They were lined up waiting for the same group to arrive. The crowd and track could not be better racing.
Lynn

4 members like this post: bighd0522, racer-x, Rapid Rick, Stevensville Mike
5/30/23, 7:09 AM   #14
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
One lap shoot-out in 1997 (yes, I know, USAC was fired after the next race)
A bit if a difference: This year, the cars came off pit road cold. Made one lap and had the one lap to race. Back in your reference at least the cars were still out on the track rolling around and got the "one to go" from the flag stand.

Shades of an Abu Dhabi F1 style restart in which the protocol/formation is brushed off. And the other elephant in the room is that the "house team" won - Penske.

But we all have our individual opinions and viewpoints.

2 members like this post: cmakin, flagboy55
5/30/23, 7:51 AM   #15

You so called purists will never be happy. You got your 500 mile race while the rest of us got an awesome shoot out! No way that race should run 14 laps of caution to end. Now you want to complain about something, lets talk about 207mph race laps because everyone is saving fuel for most of the race. There were some pretty boring parts of that race.

5/30/23, 7:52 AM   #16
Jonr

Two topics in one:
We need to understand why the teether failed. Was this a part failure or a physics problem? At some point, the physics of the crash may be greater than any teether can with stand. If it is a part failure, we can work on the part. If it is a physic problem, the answer becomes much more difficult.

As someone else suggested, we may need to define the procedures for the end of the race. If it is decided 360+ days before the next race that a premium is going to be put on finishing under green, then everyone who buys a ticket understands the priority for the last 10 laps. If it is a decided that the last 10 laps are going to be treated like any other 10 laps, then the decision has already been made. I personally wanted to see the race end under green. I had no problems with the one lap shoot out.

5/30/23, 8:50 AM   #17
Offroadrace_814

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
I'm happy they kept it 500 miles. Maybe they should have rules posted ahead of time when and how the reds will come out and procedures.
I do agree there needs to be a set protocol in the future. So all teams and fans know in advance.

3 members like this post: cmakin, Stevensville Mike, The Old Coyote
5/30/23, 10:21 AM   #18
cws9

Throwing the yellow again for too slow of a pace at a restart changed the whole complexion of the race. Had that start been allowed alot of things might not have happened. I'm not an Indy car purist and don't really know but has that ever happened before?

5/30/23, 10:31 AM   #19
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
Two topics in one:
We need to understand why the teether failed. Was this a part failure or a physics problem? At some point, the physics of the crash may be greater than any teether can with stand. If it is a part failure, we can work on the part. If it is a physic problem, the answer becomes much more difficult.
I am sure that there will be some forensic investigation, but from what I saw, tether was sheared in contact.

5/30/23, 12:54 PM   #20
JarrettFarms73

I’m ok with the last red and a one lap shoot out. I was pulling for Rossi or Ferrucci myself. Never been a big Team Penske guy but sure am glad Roger has IMS.

Catering to the purist may have cost us Kyle Kirkwood.

I lean toward personal responsibility and realizing what you’re doing and where you’re going. Broken anything can lead to sharp edges. That speed + that force+ that cutting angle may very well equal a 99.9% failure rate of any tether. If it were an anchor point that failed due to strength or engineering design, i have no doubt they’ll find it and address it.
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 5/30/23 at 2:03 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Indianapolis 500 Thoughts (Spoilers)